First time trying CL heels on in a store as a guy (London Mount Street)

RichardLynch

Male CL heel wearer
O.G.
May 7, 2009
So i've owned CL's in the past (Ron Ron, Lady Lynch, Pigalle), but i've always just bought from the store and ran.

Being a guy there was always an element of embarrassment for me for my love of heels and womens clothing in general so years ago I wouldnt have dreamt about trying them on in the store. However over the years the world has become more accepting of this and having tried on heels in other stores before (Kurt Geiger, Aldo, even Jimmy Choo), it was time to do this in my one true love, Christian Louboutin.

To avoid embarassement, I emailed their customer service team a few days before asking if it were okay that I, a man, be able to try on heels in their Mount Street London store. I received a call from a lovely Scottish lady named Juliet (I think) advising me I was more than welcome.

Come a few days later and I enter the Mount Street store a tad nervous. Juliet wasn't working, however another wonderfully lovely lady greeted me and after I explained I had emailed a few days earlier, remembered who I was and said she was so happy to be serving me that day. I explained that I moreso wanted to gauge my foot size in a few different styles so when it comes to purchasing in future I would know what to aim for.

So I focused on the Kates. First, nude patent 120 in size 41. No dice. Very tight for me. She also brought out for me black patent 100 in 41. Perfect fit! I guess the heel height makes a difference. By this point I, and obviously a few others in the store, had eyed up the Kates in Ruby Red 120. Luckily they had these in a 42 and oh my god I fell in love! More comfortable that I was expecting and they looked incredible. I was complimented on my ability to walk perfectly by two of the other sales girls there, and said they had noticed that some men are much better than women at walking in them! The pride on my face could be seen from space!!
Next I tried on Kate Booty 100 in 42. I was told that even though this was a 100, as this was a boot Id need a bigger size as there would be less room for my foot to be free and would feel much tighter. Again it was perfect. These guys know their stuff. I was in standard work clothes so the boots looked amazing under my work trousers.

I came away with a much better understanding of sizing for my feet in different styles and heel heights and this is bringing me closer to buying a pair in the future once I see the perfect shoes I need.

I thanked the sales lady for all her help and really emphasised how welcome she made me feel in the store in what was probably an unusual circumstance. She was so lovely and invited me back to try on anything I wanted at any time and she'd be honoured to help me.

What a wonderful experience I had and I cannot wait to go back there again to try on and hopefully next time buy something!!!

(I know I wasnt probably allowed to take pics but I couldnt not - hehe!!)

IMG_20220520_135136_717~2.jpg

IMG_20220520_135138_928.jpg

I’m so pleased for you that you had this great experience in store. You rock these heels and I echo PTs comments about you being able to walk in these!

I’m hope the world continues to become more accepting because there is a long way to go.

Richard; Did I misread your post? You did not buy anything? If so, I do hope you return to the shop and get every pair you desire. While you are there, stop by the Mount Street Deli right across the street. It is divine. I had the good fortune of spending some time at that particular shop a few years back and then had a lovely lunch across the street.

I'm delighted to hear that the sales staff was so accommodating to you. I've been in a few CL boutiques where I must say that the sales people could have been a bit nicer?

You're right. I did not buy anything that day unfortunately. It truly was more of a visit to a) test my nerves, and b) to understand sizing a bit better. By the time I had finished I had been in there for so long so did not get to enjoy the street itself, which I have noted previously as being an absolutely wonderful place.

And yes, I was a bit worried about the staff beforehand also. This was also partly the reason I contacted them in advance to stem their expectations a little. I should not have worried at all! It was wonderous!!

Reactions: channar
I agree! Its definitely a better world in terms of acceptance compared to 10 years ago but still a long way to go indeed. It helps when I mention I'm gay, but I shouldn't have to and people should just accept that men can wear heels if they want to.

Reactions: Nerja and channar
So i've owned CL's in the past (Ron Ron, Lady Lynch, Pigalle), but i've always just bought from the store and ran.

Being a guy there was always an element of embarrassment for me for my love of heels and womens clothing in general so years ago I wouldnt have dreamt about trying them on in the store. However over the years the world has become more accepting of this and having tried on heels in other stores before (Kurt Geiger, Aldo, even Jimmy Choo), it was time to do this in my one true love, Christian Louboutin.

To avoid embarassement, I emailed their customer service team a few days before asking if it were okay that I, a man, be able to try on heels in their Mount Street London store. I received a call from a lovely Scottish lady named Juliet (I think) advising me I was more than welcome.

Come a few days later and I enter the Mount Street store a tad nervous. Juliet wasn't working, however another wonderfully lovely lady greeted me and after I explained I had emailed a few days earlier, remembered who I was and said she was so happy to be serving me that day. I explained that I moreso wanted to gauge my foot size in a few different styles so when it comes to purchasing in future I would know what to aim for.

So I focused on the Kates. First, nude patent 120 in size 41. No dice. Very tight for me. She also brought out for me black patent 100 in 41. Perfect fit! I guess the heel height makes a difference. By this point I, and obviously a few others in the store, had eyed up the Kates in Ruby Red 120. Luckily they had these in a 42 and oh my god I fell in love! More comfortable that I was expecting and they looked incredible. I was complimented on my ability to walk perfectly by two of the other sales girls there, and said they had noticed that some men are much better than women at walking in them! The pride on my face could be seen from space!!
Next I tried on Kate Booty 100 in 42. I was told that even though this was a 100, as this was a boot Id need a bigger size as there would be less room for my foot to be free and would feel much tighter. Again it was perfect. These guys know their stuff. I was in standard work clothes so the boots looked amazing under my work trousers.

I came away with a much better understanding of sizing for my feet in different styles and heel heights and this is bringing me closer to buying a pair in the future once I see the perfect shoes I need.

I thanked the sales lady for all her help and really emphasised how welcome she made me feel in the store in what was probably an unusual circumstance. She was so lovely and invited me back to try on anything I wanted at any time and she'd be honoured to help me.

What a wonderful experience I had and I cannot wait to go back there again to try on and hopefully next time buy something!!!

View attachment 5408279

View attachment 5408280
RichardL you rock ...:yes:
But you are a little rascal too, i bet you didn't bought something
because you like to go back to the helpful SA's. :graucho:
You have to buy the rubys they look perfect on you ! Be sure to get us a shopping update

Oooh, the ruby ones have such a nice shade. The contrast between the main color and the red soles works surprisingly well.

Also hi Richard, great that you've had a good experience at the store.
I was curious to know if there were size 43 shoes available in the so kate and pigalle style?

Last edited:
Oooh, the ruby ones have such a nice shade. The contrast between the main color and the red soles works surprisingly well.

Also hi Richard, great that you've had a good experience at the store.
I was curious to know if there were size 43 shoes available in the so kate and pigalle style?
Hi there. I do not know about size 43's. They filtered solely on size 42 for me when they realised that was my size in 120 heels so it was never discussed unfortunately. I'm sorry.

As others have written--you totally rock!! Glad it was a great experience for you. And I admire your passion for CL's.
Thank you so much. It was a wonderful time and I'd recommend anyone debating whether to try on CL's to just go for it. You'll want them all!! I guarantee it. Nice to meet such nice accepting people on here too. Not always nice responses when people know I'm a guy but love heels.

View attachment 5408279

View attachment 5408280
THIS IS WHAT I LOVE TO SEE!!!! I too used to have a sense of nervousness, but more so due to me possibly breaking one of their shoes, lol! These look AMAZING on you and I must admit I'm so jealous because I can't even think about sizing down from 42, and the So Kate won't even fit me (which is weird). Please get the Ruby slippers so we can be somewhat shoe twins! I have them in the Lou Spikes sneakers.