First Coach is a vintage

AnnaLou

Nov 14, 2022
Hello All! I just got my first Coach bag today from a thrift store. I was attracted to it because it is a size and type of bag that I like and it looked like good quality. When I looked at it closer I realized it was a Coach brand which surprised me because I usually think of Coach as having large Cs or other logo on them. I prefer bags without conspicuous logos so this one appealed to me. I looked it up when I got home and according to my research, this one is from May 1997 and is called Sonoma nubuck full flap.

It does need a little cleaning and brushing, but I'm very happy with the overall condition. I'm also impressed by the quality of the stitching, which is in excellent condition and is very even and well done. There aren't any of those little sticky-outy threads that you usually see at the ends of stich runs. I sew myself, so I tend to notice those details and really appreciate good quality sewing.

Also, the flap doesn't curl at all despite there only being one snap in the middle front. Often, I find front flaps start to curl or pull up at the outer corners over time, but this one has held its shape well over the years. Better than I have since 1997! That was half my life ago in fact. I'm 50 now and I turned 25 in 1997. Sigh. Well, I guess it's for the best that I don't look like a leather bag at this point. Thank goodness I was never one much for sun tanning. :lol:

It is not a valuable bag by any means, but that's not why I bought it. I bought it to use it and I'm happy with the price I paid for a bag that needs a little cleaning and sprucing up. I paid $40 for it, which seems to be a little less than what they're going for on ebay atm, so still a good deal. Honestly, regardless of brand, a bag in materials and craftsmanship of this quality in a color, size and shape that work well for me, is a steal at $40.

Here are a few photos:
1. Me wearing it to show overall size. For me, this is a Goldilocks size, not too big, not too small.
2. The inside tag identifying its number.
3. Closeup of some of the stitching which is still in great shape despite its age.
4. Closeup of the strap buckle. I like the little pieces of leather that protect the metal from leaving indentations on the strap (at least I think that's what they're there for).

1676861647054.png 1676862362742.png 1676862448967.png 1676862526996.png

Hello All! I just got my first Coach bag today from a thrift store. I was attracted to it because it is a size and type of bag that I like and it looked like good quality. When I looked at it closer I realized it was a Coach brand which surprised me because I usually think of Coach as having large Cs or other logo on them. I prefer bags without conspicuous logos so this one appealed to me. I looked it up when I got home and according to my research, this one is from May 1997 and is called Sonoma nubuck full flap.

It does need a little cleaning and brushing, but I'm very happy with the overall condition. I'm also impressed by the quality of the stitching, which is in excellent condition and is very even and well done. There aren't any of those little sticky-outy threads that you usually see at the ends of stich runs. I sew myself, so I tend to notice those details and really appreciate good quality sewing.

Also, the flap doesn't curl at all despite there only being one snap in the middle front. Often, I find front flaps start to curl or pull up at the outer corners over time, but this one has held its shape well over the years. Better than I have since 1997! That was half my life ago in fact. I'm 50 now and I turned 25 in 1997. Sigh. Well, I guess it's for the best that I don't look like a leather bag at this point. Thank goodness I was never one much for sun tanning. :lol:

It is not a valuable bag by any means, but that's not why I bought it. I bought it to use it and I'm happy with the price I paid for a bag that needs a little cleaning and sprucing up. I paid $40 for it, which seems to be a little less than what they're going for on ebay atm, so still a good deal. Honestly, regardless of brand, a bag in materials and craftsmanship of this quality in a color, size and shape that work well for me, is a steal at $40.

Here are a few photos:
1. Me wearing it to show overall size. For me, this is a Goldilocks size, not too big, not too small.
2. The inside tag identifying its number.
3. Closeup of some of the stitching which is still in great shape despite its age.
4. Closeup of the strap buckle. I like the little pieces of leather that protect the metal from leaving indentations on the strap (at least I think that's what they're there for).

View attachment 5721859 View attachment 5721860 View attachment 5721861 View attachment 5721865
The thrift gods smiled upon you! Lovely! I have a bag made in Costa Rica. I think the ones made at the Costa Rica plant are particularly well constructed!

Reactions: AnnaLou