Finances and LV

Feb 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

I’m wondering how you guys manage or allocate funding for extravagant purchases. I adore bags and decided to cut back on fast fashion and random shopping trips to dedicate that money to one or two good bags/slgs per year. But when it comes to checking out with an AUD $2500-$3000 purchase, I have a hard time pulling the trigger. I had no trouble going to the mall once a month and dropping a few hundred dollars, but in one go, augh. Last night, the Pochette Metis was available on the Australian site and I could not bring myself to check out. It’s my ultimate wishlist bag that I’ve lusted over for a couple of years and I couldn’t do it. What do you guys do? How do you allocate funds? Justify to yourself? Justify to your partner if you have one?

My husband and I both have great jobs. I’m a coordinator at my school and my husband works for a prestigious company. We both work really hard and make good money. My husband isn’t really into expensive things; he’d rather have a holiday. I’d rather not have a holiday and stay home with my cat and my bags

I have a bag fund that I add a couple of hundred to each month or if I get birthday money or my husband says, “go buy something nice” I add it to that fund.

Maybe I’m also feeling guilty during this crisis that both our jobs are secure and I shouldn’t be spending thousands on a handbag. I’m confused and feeling a little weird about the whole thing.

What do you guys do? I would love your thoughts and opinions.

I usually splurge for my birthday, Christmas, and maybe one other time throughout the year. I work PT and try to save a little to contribute toward my purchases so I don't feel as guilty with the random (non-bday/Christmas) luxury purchases. Given everything that's going on now with the economy grinding to a halt, my job is such that I'm not really able to work right now. My husband may be furloughed - we're waiting to find out. We have money in the bank to pay our bills so I'm not worried about that but I'm by no means making any luxury purchases for the foreseeable future. I'm still stashing what little money I'm making toward a Christmas splurge - hopefully the economy will be on the mend by then.

I usually splurge for my birthday, Christmas, and maybe one other time throughout the year. I work PT and try to save a little to contribute toward my purchases so I don't feel as guilty with the random (non-bday/Christmas) luxury purchases. Given everything that's going on now with the economy grinding to a halt, my job is such that I'm not really able to work right now. My husband may be furloughed - we're waiting to find out. We have money in the bank to pay our bills so I'm not worried about that but I'm by no means making any luxury purchases for the foreseeable future. I'm still stashing what little money I'm making toward a Christmas splurge - hopefully the economy will be on the mend by then.
Thanks for your reply. I’m interested to know what others do so thank you for sharing. It makes me feel less frustrated at myself for not purchasing when I know others are making that decision too. I’m sure I’ll have this relief regret for many months until I can purchase

Hey, a spin-off of which thread? Is there already something similar?
Lol not quite. To answer your question. I have a bag fund and a travel fund that I contribute to outside of my savings. I also have a very giving boyfriend that buys many of my bags.

I go through spurts of luxury spending. I can spend on various things like expensive bags, shoes or jewelry for a few months and then go several with no purchases.

Lol not quite. To answer your question. I have a bag fund and a travel fund that I contribute to outside of my savings. I also have a very giving boyfriend that buys many of my bags.

I go through spurts of luxury spending. I can spend on various things like expensive bags, shoes or jewelry for a few months and then go several with no purchases.
Thanks for sharing. I think I just have to continue my bag fund and not feel guilty about spending on one thing. Bags make me so happy. I also go months and months without spending on anything. Although earlier this month I did purchase a pochette accessories (through my sister in law in the US and I’m still waiting for her to be able to post it to me). Maybe once that arrives, I’ll temporarily forget the PM and enjoy my little piece.
Thanks for replying and enjoy your bags and day :smile:

Reactions: MooMooVT
Thanks for sharing. I think I just have to continue my bag fund and not feel guilty about spending on one thing. Bags make me so happy. I also go months and months without spending on anything. Although earlier this month I did purchase a pochette accessories (through my sister in law in the US and I’m still waiting for her to be able to post it to me). Maybe once that arrives, I’ll temporarily forget the PM and enjoy my little piece.
Thanks for replying and enjoy your bags and day :smile:
You’re welcome! You shouldn’t feel guilty. Don’t you work hard? You deserve nice things from time to time. I did buy the PM reverse on a whim and I didn’t expect to love it as much as I do. I plan to buy my first Chanel (never was really into the brand) this year and then I think I’ll be done with bags for a while. I was contemplating the NeoNoe but I think I am going to pass on it.

I have one other item on my list... a MICHELE watch and then I’m done with luxury spending for the year. I think... lol.

Reactions: Critzie
You’re welcome! You shouldn’t feel guilty. Don’t you work hard? You deserve nice things from time to time. I did buy the PM reverse on a whim and I didn’t expect to love it as much as I do. I plan to buy my first Chanel (never was really into the brand) this year and then I think I’ll be done with bags for a while. I was contemplating the NeoNoe but I think I am going to pass on it.

I have one other item on my list... a MICHELE watch and then I’m done with luxury spending for the year. I think... lol.
Yep, I work my butt off! I admit I have a wonderful life but that a handbag purchase one a year would make it a whole lot better :biggrin:

I'm a little while away from buying my first Chanel. Maybe for my 30th. Which Chanel do you have your eye on?

Reactions: MooMooVT
Yep, I work my butt off! I admit I have a wonderful life but that a handbag purchase one a year would make it a whole lot better :biggrin:

I'm a little while away from buying my first Chanel. Maybe for my 30th. Which Chanel do you have your eye on?
Oh yes, there’s plenty of time. I think I like the black mini flap because it seems it can be dressed both up and down. It seems you can only get it in Lambskin now but I still can’t decide on a hardware color.

This week the Pochette Metis was online here in Germany.I could order it , itwas in my shopping bag but I hesitated...its a bag that nearly everyone wants...but do I need it ? Not really ...So I cancelled my shopping bag...
Wow. I also don't neeeeeeed it but I want it so bad :biggrin: I'm happy to hear that there is another person who didn't purchase it. Weird, but makes me feel better. I hope it's not another year before it comes up on the Australian site. We get so few items and there are many resellers/personal shoppers who sell the PM for $3300 or more (it's usually AUD $2810).
Thanks for sharing your experience :heart:

I Save, SAVE my income. Avoid take out, cook. Take advantage to what free or on sale. DO not plan on extravagant travel. What I do, is feast and famine mode. When it saving time, I go in famine mode to not to splurge on stuff that isn’t nessessary. When I’m ready it, when I met my goal then I feel okay to splurge on what what planned intend to splurge what. Something from LV, clothing or Disneyland.