Finally found jean jacket that fits perfectly...how to break in the stiff material?

PixieGirl

Nov 13, 2007
I finally found the perfect fitting jean jacket for me at Old Navy of all places. The sleeve are long enough,the body is fitted enough and the color is right. The jacket is super stiff though. I washed it with fabric softener the other day right when I got and I am trying to think of other things to do to soften up the jacket.. what do you recommend?

I finally found the perfect fitting jean jacket for me at Old Navy of all places. The sleeve are long enough,the body is fitted enough and the color is right. The jacket is super stiff though. I washed it with fabric softener the other day right when I got and I am trying to think of other things to do to soften up the jacket.. what do you recommend?

I need to break my new denim in as well. It's pretty stiff too but the overall fit is great.

PixieGirl- I bought the perfect denim jacket this season from Old Navy, I am guessing it is the same one, and I am having the same problem with it being too stiff for me. I have 5 denim jackets and none of them are this stiff. I have washed mine several times with fabric softener and it hasn't helped much.

Anxious to hear some suggestions as well as I am about to purchase the same jacket in white.:flowers:

I washed mine with fabric softener also and nada! I think I may throw it in the dryer (completely dry so not to shrink, not wet) with those little dryer balls..maybe the dryer balls will kind of beat it up and while the heat is breaking it down a little.

Found this:

Completely soaking denim in water will take out some of the starch and soften the denim

So maybe letting it soak in the washer for a few hours might help???

Ok I put my jacket into the dryer with the dryer balls for I don't know how long but it didn't feel any different to me. I was bored though and doing laundry and I had the jacket in the laundry room and decided to throw it in again with the dryer balls and this time, yay, it worked! It is a little less stiff. It has a softer feel. I guess the heat is breaking down the fibers a little. I will put it into the dryer one more time to see if it gets any softer. (I am putting it into the dryer already dry)