Feud Betty & Joan on FX

I have the feeling that the twins were the only ones to inherit most of the money. Plastic seat covers are symptomatic of people who lived through The Great Depression and/or did not grow up with money or nice things. The need to preserve their new found treasures overwhelms their aesthetic common sense.
An article I read said that of her $2 million estate, the twins each received $70,000. There were other bequeaths, but most went to charity.

She is. What with the turning the green room into her own personal party room and her preening for the cameras holding the Oscar with the ACTUAL winners waiting for their turn in front of the cameras and I'm thinking, "What she did was petty and pathetic."

Piece in Vanity Fair about the Oscars incident:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/fx-feud-joan-crawford-bette-davis-oscars
I know....I read that VF article.....seems what she did in terms of the Anne Bancroft and
She is. What with the turning the green room into her own personal party room and her preening for the cameras holding the Oscar with the ACTUAL winners waiting for their turn in front of the cameras and I'm thinking, "What she did was petty and pathetic."

Piece in Vanity Fair about the Oscars incident:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/fx-feud-joan-crawford-bette-davis-oscars
I read that VF piece too. Apparently what she did re Anne Bancroft and Geraldine Page was portrayed accurately as well as the green room thing. Very petty and amazingly she succeeded. After the accepted the Oscar when she was posing with the winners, I was thinking "you didn't win" What a neurotic nasty woman.

Throughout the show, Joan is not willing to give an inch to share the spotlight with Bette. Yet she complains that Bette won't share the spotlight with her. It's like, "What the hell did you expect?"

I'm not saying Bette's an angel, but Joan isn't doing herself any favors. A win for Bette would have meant more money for the movie and more money for them (because they got a percentage of the profits) and by sabotaging Bette's Oscar, Joan ruined that. She cut off her nose to spite her face.

I found myself thinking, "Bette may have played Baby Jane in the movie, but it's like Joan is the Baby Jane in real life."

Another piece about the Oscar incident in Vanity Fair:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/feud-oscars-1963-video-joan-crawford-bette-davis

I would be hurt, too, if I was passed over for an Oscar nomination and my costar (whom I'm not so fond of) got one, and admittedly, my first thought would be to ruin it, too. I'm sure most people's would be. But normal people don't act on those thoughts and normal people act like the bigger person. They don't necessarily have to say they're happy for the costar, but they could say how much of a compliment it is to the movie to get that kind of nod.

What sympathy I had for her in being passed over was lost by that stunt she pulled.

Wasn't there a point made earlier in the series about Joan not accepting a Supporting Actress nomination?

I found myself thinking, "Bette may have played Baby Jane in the movie, but it's like Joan is the Baby Jane in real life."

Another piece about the Oscar incident in Vanity Fair:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/feud-oscars-1963-video-joan-crawford-bette-davis

I would be hurt, too, if I was passed over for an Oscar nomination and my costar (whom I'm not so fond of) got one, and admittedly, my first thought would be to ruin it, too. I'm sure most people's would be. But normal people don't act on those thoughts and normal people act like the bigger person. They don't necessarily have to say they're happy for the costar, but they could say how much of a compliment it is to the movie to get that kind of nod.

What sympathy I had for her in being passed over was lost by that stunt she pulled.

Wasn't there a point made earlier in the series about Joan not accepting a Supporting Actress nomination?
interesting....I don't think they really showed anything that would at all justify Crawford's actions. But Jessica Lange said the did extensive research on her and that she had an awful childhood. So I guess she wasn't healthy psychologically and aging and losing her status meant everything to her.

I liked the Bette and Joan Facebook page and we were talking about this episode, and someone joked that there were no wire hangers in the green room.

Then I replied I'd make it a point of ordering a Coca Cola.

I also said that when she was preening in front of the photographers like that, I wanted to smack her.

Reactions: sdkitty
interesting....I don't think they really showed anything that would at all justify Crawford's actions. But Jessica Lange said the did extensive research on her and that she had an awful childhood. So I guess she wasn't healthy psychologically and aging and losing her status meant everything to her.
Crawford was a real piece of work. She couldn't, wouldn't accept she was aging. I remember being freaked out, when I read that she filled in for her daughter Christine on a soap when Christine was out for a medical problem. She was close to 70 playing an ingenue. That's just creepy.

Reactions: lulilu
Crawford was a real piece of work. She couldn't, wouldn't accept she was aging. I remember being freaked out, when I read that she filled in for her daughter Christine on a soap when Christine was out for a medical problem. She was close to 70 playing an ingenue. That's just creepy.
yeah, that's crazy

Perhaps Joan's actions could also be the sign of the times as well. I can't imagine anyone (except maybe Kanye) behaving this way.

I remember reading Christina's book and was shocked. It's not difficult to believe even when the twins say it never happened. It would have been easy to hide from them since they were a bit younger.

Perhaps Joan's actions could also be the sign of the times as well. I can't imagine anyone (except maybe Kanye) behaving this way.

I remember reading Christina's book and was shocked. It's not difficult to believe even when the twins say it never happened. It would have been easy to hide from them since they were a bit younger.
I think it's kind of amazing she got away with all of it. She was such an icon that Anne Bancroft and Geraldine Page just immediately gave in to her and agreed to have her accept for them? And having her pose with the winners? She didn't win anything. Very annoying and ridiculous. Analogy of Kanye isn't far off.