Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

What kind of counselors advocate immoral behavior? What did they tell her that caused her mind to go cloudy?
From the transcripts in the affidavit, this Rick Singer guy was really good at making the parents he worked with feel like his methods were normal and not a big deal. Felicity said she she'd heard he was the best college admissions counselor in LA and it wasn't until well into the process that he brought up cheating and made it seem like it was the only option.

You don't get to be the extremely successful con artist that he was without being good at manipulating people.

But unlike Lori, Felicity's not pretending she wasn't still aware that what they were doing was cheating.

What kind of counselors advocate immoral behavior? What did they tell her that caused her mind to go cloudy? If she were this gullible & confused how could she claw her way upwards in Hollywood?
Well, Hollywood is not the meritocracy that the college admissions process pretends to be. Clawing your way up through money and favors is probably de rigueur for Hollywood, so I can see how someone's moral compass might become skewed after operating in Hollywood for a while.

Reactions: MizGemma and Flatsy
14 days, 1 year probation, 250 hours of community service and a $30,000 fine seems like enough punishment to me.

She paid $15K to have a proxy take the SATs for her daughter. Misguided, absolutely—but I don’t feel like it should ruin her life or her family.

I have a hard time getting too worked up with all the corruption that goes unchecked.

14 days, 1 year probation, 250 hours of community service and a $30,000 fine seems like enough punishment to me.

She paid $15K to have a proxy take the SATs for her daughter. Misguided, absolutely—but I don’t feel like it should ruin her life or her family.

I have a hard time getting too worked up with all the corruption that goes unchecked.

It,'s not just HER sentence. It's seeing her punishment side by side with those who have done the same or less.

One rule for the rich, and another for everyone else.

After seeing the pathetic letter her husband William H. Macy wrote, I've lost respect for him as well.

After seeing the pathetic letter her husband William H. Macy wrote, I've lost respect for him as well.
I'm curious why?

You made me want to go read the letter. The most egregious thing to me was where he says Felicity really "sees" her daughters. That is such a Hollywood thing to say. And he does sound like he's complaining about the trauma of the FBI arrest, which....at the time, it did sound excessive and needlessly traumatizing for the FBI to raid their house with guns drawn. But it's probably not good form for a guy who is himself most likely an unpunished criminal to complain about the manner of his criminal wife's arrest.

It,'s not just HER sentence. It's seeing her punishment side by side with those who have done the same or less.

I think it's terrible that rich people get "justice" by having excellent attorneys and poor people are sometimes unjustly and disproportionately punished. But I don't blame Felicity and her husband for wanting her to have a good outcome. I would too if I were her. And (whether totally sincere or not) she did show remorse (unlike LL)

I can’t fault HER for getting what I consider to be an equitable sentence—some legal analysts are saying its harsh all things considered. She could have just as easily ended up with a judge who went along with prosecutors and handed down a harsher sentence.

We, as a society, should push for judicial equity for all regardless of socioeconomic status but I don’t hold it against her that she was able to orchestrate an outcome that wasn’t overly harsh. We should figure out how to make that the norm not the exception reserved for people with money and influence. Unfortunately, don’t see that change on the horizon.

^The ONLY thing Felicity did right was listen to her lawyers by playing humble and pleading guilty.

I'm also annoyed she exposed her daughter's learning disability as a reason for what they did.

Total BS..They already have the means to see that their child is assisted - more so than less wealthy families.

And colleges have programs and assistance as well for learning disabled students.

The cheating scandal by teachers in Atlanta they sure did not get off with 14 days jail time. A lot of them got long term jail sentences for changing test scores and grades.

That case was different...the teachers were deliberately changing student's grades under pressure from the school district. I don't think the parents were paying for the grades.

I think Rick Singer's sentence will be substantial. They're talking about 65 years in prison. He's on the hook for a lot of hardcore charges.

Well, Hollywood is not the meritocracy that the college admissions process pretends to be. Clawing your way up through money and favors is probably de rigueur for Hollywood, so I can see how someone's moral compass might become skewed after operating in Hollywood for a while.

I think the moral compass was skewed a long time ago! Perhaps before they reached Hollywood...

Colleges have had their legacy students and rich parents who paid for admissions for a long time. I thought what else is new when I first heard about this. I was surprised the Justice Dept jumped on it. I didn't know how greedy and how egregious Rick Singer was then. Huffman and Loughlin hitched their hopes and $$$$$$ to the wrong person.

I wonder if college students who were admitted the honest way will start to accuse others of being legacy or having bought their way into school if the parents are rich and the student goes to class just a few times but never drops out of school.