Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

I believe that she needs to go to jail. How dare she pay her way off to get her kid through college when my kid is smarter than her kid and my kid can't can't "cut it".....
I agree. From her perspective, she was concerned about her own child and wanted to be a good mother. But lots of people commit crimes without thinking about the consequences for others. She should spend some time in jail. A month is better than nothing but I think it should be a few months.

One month in federal prison is fair, imo. However the fine is too low imo.
Given the fact that she is very wealthy, I believe that a fine over a million is more in line with the crime.
I have to say that the way she handled the whole ordeal was a thing of beauty. Her PR team was well worth the money, imo.
Her letter especially was very well crafted, imo.
As far as the other defendants, it could go either way. Lori shot herself in the foot but she caters to a crowd that is very, very forgiving, imo.
I just saw pictures of her recently, and she looked like she aged 10 years.
Imho, she knows that she made the wrong tactical choice, imo but can’t back up now. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

However the fine is too low imo.
Given the fact that she is very wealthy, I believe that a fine over a million is more in line with the crime.
I have to say that the way she handled the whole ordeal was a thing of beauty. Her PR team was well worth the money, imo.

I think her case, and the handling of it will be the model going forward. Her team really did handle it extremely well.

Reactions: limom
One month in federal prison is fair, imo. However the fine is too low imo.
As far as the other defendants, it could go either way. Lori shot herself in the foot but she caters to a crowd that is very, very forgiving, imo.
I just saw pictures of her recently, and she looked like she aged 10 years.
Imho, she knows that she made the wrong tactical choice, imo but can’t back up now. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

I agree- shes not a danger to society or anything that would warrant more prison time so think one month is fair but the fine shouldve been much higher. But perhaps they went easy on her because she was cooperative. I think her team did a great job.

Lori and Co on the other hand...

I agree- shes not a danger to society or anything that would warrant more prison time so think one month is fair but the fine shouldve been much higher. But perhaps they went easy on her because she was cooperative. I think her team did a great job.

Lori and Co on the other hand...
Yeah, I don't see the Court going so easy on Lori and her husband, especially Lori. Instead of acting contrite, it seems quite the opposite and in reading various articles about her before the scandal, if she thinks her celebrity status is going to save her?!?! .. uh, no! There have also been reports that she and the husband are not getting on well right now, so that will also be interesting.

One thing that I DO NOT get, is the fact that her attorneys have represented USC in the past, yet .. the Judge okay'd them to continue representing Lori and the husband! That really surprised me; I would have thought for sure -- conflict of interest!

Reactions: threadbender
The conflicts issue is a bit wonky in this case. USC is not a party to Lori's criminal case, and USC is represented by Latham in civil litigation unrelated to the college admissions scandal. The problem arises because of the possibility/probability that a USC witness may testify in Lori's criminal case, and if that happens, it may well be Latham lawyers representing the USC witness at trial. Basically putting on the USC witness' testimony and defending the witness during cross-exam.

But the hearing about a week or so ago was to put on the record the fact that Lori and husband understand the potential that may arise and further that they are willing to waive the potential conflict. After the hearing and putting all of the potential issues on the record, Lori & husband waived the potential conflict on the record.

Latham is the latest firm that Lori & husband have hired. They each have separate counsel (from another firm(s)), but hired Latham jointly. It seems to me like Lori loves her shiny (and god-awful-expensive) new toy and she thinks that somehow Latham can solve all of her problems. Good luck with that!

It will be interesting to see how the judge in Felicity Huffman's case responds to the sentencing on Friday and to see if Lori & husband modify their behavior going forward. Honestly, I don't think Lori realizes how badly she has played things thus far, so I don't expect a guilty plea or serious change of strategy after Friday.

TMZ is covering the sentencing today:
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/13/feli...ng-sentenced-college-admissions-bribery-case/

The article says: Prosecutors want the "Desperate Housewives" star to spend a month behind bars for paying $15k to rig her daughter's SAT test. The Probation Dept. has suggested no time behind bars is appropriate, because no one suffered a loss as a result of Felicity's actions.
Could this same argument be used by Lori's lawyers?

TMZ is covering the sentencing today:
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/13/feli...ng-sentenced-college-admissions-bribery-case/

The article says: Prosecutors want the "Desperate Housewives" star to spend a month behind bars for paying $15k to rig her daughter's SAT test. The Probation Dept. has suggested no time behind bars is appropriate, because no one suffered a loss as a result of Felicity's actions.
Could this same argument be used by Lori's lawyers?
They will suspend the sentence. Costs them more to keep her in jail than to let her stay out. They would send her to a country club jail anyway. Lori's bribes were so much more $$$ that I think she will have to do some token time before the sentence is shortened.

Reactions: caramelize126
Felicity got 14 days. Not so bad.
https://www.dailynews.com/2019/09/1...entence-friday-in-college-admissions-scandal/
Update:
From CNN's Mark Morales

Actress Felicity Huffman has been sentenced to 14 days in prison.

Huffman also received a $30,000 fine, 250 hours of community service and one year supervised release, federal court Judge Indira Talwani said today in Boston.

Before announcing the sentencing, Talwani said Huffman knew what she did was wrong, saying, “She knew it was a fraud it was not an impulsive act.”

If I were Lori right now, I would be very, very worried. The judge came on hard, imo

Last edited: