Faulty item and chargeback - Help!

Princess_lydz

Jul 17, 2008
Hello,

This is an item that was purchased off eBay but you ladies have helped me in the past and Im not sure who else to ask for advice.

I purchased some earphones for my boyfriends birthday - they were expensive (£179) so i paid with my credit card (no paypal available) as i was unfamiliar with the website.

After one day of wearing them he notice a fault in the left headphone - which was basically like the sound flickering on and off quickly. So I emailed the company and explained the fault and that I wanted a refund. They replied and said thats fine and I returned them - with recorded delivery.

A month goes by and I have not heard from them - they have ignored my emails and I had not been refunded. So I contacted my bank to start a chargeback which is being processed currently.

However, today I receive an email from the company saying there is no fault and they are posting them back to me! There was most definitely a fault - we tested the headphones on different ipods, laptops, etc, the flickering was so bad it gave my boyfriend a headache so he had to take them out. Im really quite angry that they are refusing to take responsibility it was a lot of money for me to spend on an item that isnt working properly.

So my dilemma is - do I refuse the parcel when it arrives or do I accept it? Which will be the best step forward with my chargeback? Im worried if i accept the return the bank will see it as the problem being solved.

Any advice is much appreciated and im sorry for it being such a long post :smile:

You should def. stand firm with your claim that the earphone was defective and tell them there is no need to send back and if they ship, you would refuse the package. You can also tell your bank that they are forcing you to take the defective merchandise. The store should have issued the refund within a few days after they received the return. Not doing anything until you filed chargeback is utterly ridiculous.
My DH buy a lot of music related stuffs like amps and speakers, and he never take anything with questionable condition.

Thank you for your response. The first time the company contacted me after the return was to tell me the item has been shipped back so its on its way now I assume.

Should I still contact the company or just refuse the parcel? I will inform the bank that they are trying to return the defective item.

You should def. stand firm with your claim that the earphone was defective and tell them there is no need to send back and if they ship, you would refuse the package. You can also tell your bank that they are forcing you to take the defective merchandise. The store should have issued the refund within a few days after they received the return. Not doing anything until you filed chargeback is utterly ridiculous.
My DH buy a lot of music related stuffs like amps and speakers, and he never take anything with questionable condition.

What she said :yes:!

I agree. keep trying to email them. can you just call them too? That might me more effective. However there will not be a record of the conversation. I would refuse the parcel too.