Fashion Faux Pas?

WendyKae

Sep 19, 2007
What do you think about sporting a white or turquois bag in the fall and winter? I seem to be drawn to older bags like the Kooba 'Lucy' and Michael Kors 'Palm Beach' but mostly in colors more associated with spring. Would I be making a big mistake to buy one now? :confused1:

I think it depends on where you live. Here, in Canada, white or turquois bag in the fall/winter would look out of place. But then again, it's just my opinion. If I lived in CA or Florida, I would have no problem wearing those colors in the winter months.

I think there is a big difference between white and turquoise.

I agree that geography might play a role with white bags, although there is "winter white," which is a technical term for white that is worn during the winter, although there are people who will swear it is a synonym for a barely off-white color that is not quite cream.

The bag in my avatar is the only turquoise bag I own, and I use it year-round. I live in a warm climate, but I would use it year round even if I lived on Inuit lands, maybe I am missing something but I have never heard of turquoise having any sort of seasonal or geographic implications, even by people living with fashion impalement**, even in the 1950s, even Episcopalians.

** A polite way of suggesting that an individual is plagued by the presence of a stick up their butt.

The bag in my avatar is the only turquoise bag I own, and I use it year-round. I live in a warm climate, but I would use it year round even if I lived on Inuit lands, maybe I am missing something but I have never heard of turquoise having any sort of seasonal or geographic implications, even by people living with fashion impalement**, even in the 1950s, even Episcopalians.

** A polite way of suggesting that an individual is plagued by the presence of a stick up their butt.

Fashion impalement. I LOVE that!! :roflmfao:

I really don't see anything wrong with that and personally would not notice. I used a white bag year round once and no one thought it odd but then I am in Southern California so that might play a big role in things since we don't really have "seasons" I say wear whichever color makes you happy.

I live in Finland, and I find it completely acceptable to use brighter colours during the winter time. However, I tend to balance the effect by combining bright colours with black, grey and other dark colours.

I think you should wear whatever you want whenever you want. My (almost) sister-in-law is a total stickler for that and doesn't even wear white underwear after labor day (yeah she is totally weird).

I think that rule is silly and totally old fashioned!

Living in new england where the seasons change - I personally wouldn't carry a white white bag in the winter - but I wouldn't look at someone else doing it & think they were wrong - I'm just used to not doing it. I love turquoise - that's what I'd go for if you want year round. Plus white typically get's dirty more easily.

I think there is a big difference between white and turquoise.

I agree that geography might play a role with white bags, although there is "winter white," which is a technical term for white that is worn during the winter, although there are people who will swear it is a synonym for a barely off-white color that is not quite cream.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. No?

Now, excuse me while I go and remove that stick from my butt.:rolleyes:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. No?

Now, excuse me while I go and remove that stick from my butt.:rolleyes:
I didn't think you had a stick up your butt! You just live further north!
I think that when a person gets to a certain age, or point in their life, or just tired of all the rules, or for whatever reason - it is so freeing to do what you want, wear white whenever you want, etc. Just do what makes YOU happy! I have a friend that wouldn't even OWN a pair of white shoes! :roflmfao: That kills me!:graucho:

I think anymore, anything goes. Both colors would look great with black or grey. The only reason I don't usually wear white in winter is because I have so many great winter bags in darker colors and I want to carry them.
To tell the truth I don't think I even own a white bag!

"... maybe I am missing something but I have never heard of turquoise having any sort of seasonal or geographic implications..."

ITA! Turquiose compliments "fall/winter" colors the best! I love to wear my turuiose jewelry with cream, brown, burnt orange, grey, and even black! So why not a turquise bag? Hmm... maybe I need to purchase one as well! We can fight this fashion faux pas thing together! :boxing: