Fans of vintage Coach - what modern bags compare?

I don't have any personal knowledge, as I don't own any of this brand, but I've seen their bags online and they're very remininscent of vintage Coach. And affordable! They say on their website: "Made with the best leather on earth." https://www.portlandleathergoods.com/collections/purses-handbags

For example, this bag for $66.

Last edited:
I don't have any personal knowledge, as I don't own any of this brand, but I've seen their bags online and they're very remininscent of vintage Coach. And affordable! They say on their website: "Made with the best leather on earth." https://www.portlandleathergoods.com/collections/purses-handbags

For example, this bag for $66.
Too bad they do not ship to Canada…

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ConnieinSeattle
I’m definitely a fan of vintage Coach bags - wonderful leather, classic designs, right up my alley. But the number of fakes out there can be super frustrating, and prices have increased to often more than I’m willing to pay for a used bag.

So, anyone have any recs? Brands or bags with similar quality leather, or similar designs, or both?

Seems like similar design is easier to find. There was the Coach Originals collection, of course. I also found this suspiciously familiar looking bag from Spartina449, and this and this from Jack Georges, but I don’t have any personal experience with those brands and they’re not offering much in the way of colors.

Leather quality is another thing entirely. There are plenty of brands that still use full grain leather for their bags, but I’ve yet to run across anything that has quite the same quality and texture as old school Coach leather.

So, any recommendations for new bags with old school vibes?

I’m definitely a fan of vintage Coach bags - wonderful leather, classic designs, right up my alley. But the number of fakes out there can be super frustrating, and prices have increased to often more than I’m willing to pay for a used bag.

So, anyone have any recs? Brands or bags with similar quality leather, or similar designs, or both?

Seems like similar design is easier to find. There was the Coach Originals collection, of course. I also found this suspiciously familiar looking bag from Spartina449, and this and this from Jack Georges, but I don’t have any personal experience with those brands and they’re not offering much in the way of colors.

Leather quality is another thing entirely. There are plenty of brands that still use full grain leather for their bags, but I’ve yet to run across anything that has quite the same quality and texture as old school Coach leather.

So, any recommendations for new bags with old school vibes?
I have purchased both all leather and linen (leather trimmed) bags from Spartina449. I managed to get into their yearly warehouse sale and picked up a few bargains. While the leather does not compare to vintage Coach, the bags I purchased are well made and I enjoy using them. My biggest complaint is the placement of the prints on the linen bags.

That is good to know about the lighter colors being painted. Its just it was one of my favorite bags but I am at a loss on how to repair it. I just buy about 90% of my stuff vintage now because new quality is made to be disposable which is horrible for the planet. I am sure there are new Coach bags that are great quality but I don't have the highest hopes?
I doubt it to be honest - I was a mulberry girl for nearly 20 years then switched to coach in 2016 as mulberry leather quality had just gone so far downhill - I bought 1941 bags glovetanned leather until Coach stopped making them and I haven’t bought a coach bag now for nearly 2 years -not to my taste anymore style or quality seems to be only trendy things for younger people now nowt for us oldies

Reactions: Roro and katpeony
Soak completely in hot soapy water - old mulberries survive machine washing too but hand washing is preferable and allow to dry naturally stuffed with newspaper
I use Luke warm water with dish soap and hair conditioner and sometimes white vinager(if I need to stop mold growth) and use lots of facecloth towels to stuff. Sometimes if I need to get rid of smells, Afterwards when it is dry, use pouch of coffee grounds in bag for a week.

I recently discovered a brand called PATRICIA NASH. I always favored Coach's British Tan leather bags, so I did a search for 'Cognac leather handbags', which is the actual color of British tan. MK calls it their 'Luggage' color for some odd reason, but they are all basically cognac. The reason I love it so much is because it's such a natural looking color of leather, right? And it goes with just about anything you wear. And in my search, most of the cognac bags that came up were this 'Patricia Nash' and I found them all to be absolutely stunning! She has a lot of embossed leather which is beautiful, but a bit much for me. I prefer simple, but I sure appreciated the artwork in them. They are stunning! According to an article I read, her bags are all made in Italy out of an Italian tanned leather. They certainly look like it! But without the Italian prices!
<https://www.janemarvel.com/where-are-patricia-nash-bags-made/>
Here is one I couldn't resist! lol! Check out the interior. While the flap is suede, the rest of it is some kind of real soft faux suede? It's so soft! I'm really happy with it and I'll definitely be getting more from her. I found this beauty for under $100.00 preowned online. It was just what I was looking for. From what I gathered, I am thinking they are around $350.00 when new, which is definitely in the Coach range of pricing.

Another one that is comparable to Coach is the BRAHMIN brand. But one gets tired of that 'mock croc' embossing after awhile, but they really are well made handbags and the older ones were all made in the USA! Some of their newer rainbow colors are astonishing! I plan to get one of those very soon. They are about $398.00 new.
View attachment 5714492View attachment 5714493
Oh i own a patricia nash, i didnt realize it’s quality, think i got it at a tjmaxx somewhere, just liked the style. Tnx for sharing!