Travel Honolulu, Hawaii

If you have a car, I recommend venturing outside the tourist traps. Heck the whole island is a tourist trap. Hehehe.However, there are a few places the locals go to that are always busy and delish! Price:$, Casual
My friend who did her rotations there for over 6 months recommended these places and I loved it!

KAILUA

Boots and Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen
119 Hekili St
Kailua, HI 96734 (808) 263-7929
http://www.yelp.com/biz/SuHaso_jCo597xSsJGHfqg

Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes in Hawaii. Long wait but worth it if you want homestyle pancakes and others. My friend recommended it to me since all the locals go there. It's a local breakfast diner.:drinks:

NORTH SHORE:

Kua'Aina Sandwich Shop
66-160 Kamehameha Hwy Ste C
Haleiwa, HI 96712 (808) 637-6067
-Great fish sandwiches. Once you've finished, head on down the street for some shaved ice.:drool:

Matsumoto's Shaved Ice
66-087 Kamehameha Highway
Haleiwa, HI 96712 (808) 637-4827
This is a great place to get shaved ice on a hot and humid day in North Shore.:heart::heart::heart:

there are a ton of good restaurants in Waikiki. Went last year for the first time and have been back 3 or 4 times this year on business.

I highly recommend the following;

Alan Wong's
The Pineapple Room (another Alan Wong restaurant that is actually at Macy's in the Ala Moana mall, which is great for shopping)
the restuarant at the W hotel (can't remember the name right now)

There are a bunch of others. I will need to dig up my frommer's book to remember the names.

I live in Honolulu. The food is fabulous:heart:

-Alan Wong's
-Hy's Steakhouse
-Top of Waikiki
-John Dominis
-Orchid Cafe
-Neptune's Garden
-Aaron's Atop Ala Moa
-Roy's
-Michel's at the Colony Surf

Dug out the frommers book:

The restuarant at the W is the diamond head grill

Others I enjoyed:

Orchids (not sure if cafe or restaurant but it is in the Halekulani Hotel)

Hau Tree Lanai (at the new otani)

I thought Roy's was just OK. I heard Hy's is fantastic from some locals but I did not want steak when I was in hawaii, the seafood is just toooo good.

Almost forgot...

you have to go to the shrimp trucks!! Sooo good. They are on the North Shore so definitely will need a car.

I went to Giovanni's Original White Shrimp Truck. It's definitely past a few others. If you like spicy, definitely go for the spicy recipe.

I went with my husband when we were on vacay and then back with a work colleague who looked at me in disgust as I devoured a whole thing by myself! He's a bit strange though and only eats steamed veggies, grilled salmon, and arugala salad.

My faves are:

Pacific Rim Cuisine
Hokus in The Mandarin Hotel
Alan Wongs
Pineapple Room (by Alan Wong, 3rd floor of Macy's Ala Moana)
Nick's Fishmarket
3660 on the Rise or Kaka'ako Kitchen (cheaper version of Chef Russell Siu's cuisine)
Roy's
Lu'raku (fusion cuisine)

Japanese Cuisine
Kunios Restuarnt (at Waikele Outlet Mall)
The new Fishmarket at Ala Moana near Bubba Gumps..."Something" Fishmarket (drawing a blank, sorry)
GyuKaku (you cook your food yourself here--has Korean influences)
Sansei (at the Waikiki Marriot Hotel)

I love living in Hawaii because of the great food. I'll return to this post and add more restaurants as my brain comes up with them!

Thanks ladies!
I am consistently hearing Alan Wong's, Pineapple room, Hy's, Orchids.
Have any of you ate at Le Mer? I've also read about the shrimp trucks.
We are staying at the Kahala (for the dolphin experience) & then moving to Halekulani. And will have a driver so we can go anywhere.
Anyone know if there is a macadamia nut farm near Honolulu?

Thanks ladies!
I am consistently hearing Alan Wong's, Pineapple room, Hy's, Orchids.
Have any of you ate at Le Mer? I've also read about the shrimp trucks.
We are staying at the Kahala (for the dolphin experience) & then moving to Halekulani. And will have a driver so we can go anywhere.
Anyone know if there is a macadamia nut farm near Honolulu?

Well, if you're staying at the the Kahala then def. try Hoku's Sunday brunch as well as dinner at Cabanas (also at the Mandarin, dinner is right on the beach--totally beautiful.
I've never eaten at Le Mer but have heard good reviews about it.
I've lived on Oahu all my life and as far as I know there are no macadamia nut farms--you'll have to travel to the Big Island for that.

If you're staying at the Halekulani then check out the new Beachwalk section. There's a Nobu Restaurant in the hotel right next to Halekulani and a whole bunch of restaurants in that Beachwalk corridor. If you go to our local paper's website there's a section called the Ilima Awards that has a listing of the most popular restaurants by vote. The news paper is the Honolulu Advertiser.

We have wonderful food here and my husband and I spend a whole lotta money on food. It's one of my favorite things to talk about. LOL

I worked at Kaiser for a few months on Oahu :heart:.

I LOVED the Halekulani... they have a bar called House Without a Key with live music and dance every night. I used to go there and lounge with a fruity cocktail and listen to great music. Awesome. Orchids restaurant, if I remember correctly, is the restaurant at Halekulani.

LOVED Alan Wongs. Also liked the restaurant atop Neiman Marcus, forgot the name.

My brother loves the weekend buffet at the Sheraton Ala Moana Surfrider.

You must try fish as much as you can. I ate fabulous fish on the island even at Dennys. Ooh , so fresh.

I love Hawaii, miss it so much *sigh*...

hi there,
can anyone recommend family accommodation in honolulu? May be going in January or April/May. Would prefer separate bedroom to kids, or at least kids can have bedroom and dh and i can have a sofa bed in lounge. Would like to have a fridge to store some snacks for kids and a toaster/convection oven to make toasted sandwiches/brekkie should the need arise. It doesn't have to be on the beach but not too many blocks away either (though i'd have a quieter hotel over a one closer to the action if you know what i mean).
any thoughts would be appreciated.