Fake dustbag, authentic bag??

Feb 2, 2009
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has come across an authentic bag in a fake dustbag?

My only justification of it is that the original owner lost the dust bag, and bought a fake by accident?

I have purchased several authentic bags over the years that did not come with a dustbag. Back when there weren't so many counterfeit sellers around it was possible to purchase authentic dustbags that some women just had no interest in, or used pillowslips instead. I really miss the "good old days".

I was looking at a LV cosmetics bag, and was told on the Authenticate This thread that the bag looked okay (needed more pics) but the dustbag was definitely fake. When I asked, the ladies told me that sometimes people may have bought a fake another time, but wanted to keep the real dustbag for themselves.

It kind of put me off of the sale, to be honest. I know that mistakes happen, but it made me nervous. If all other details check out though, I don't think it has to be a deal-breaker.

I had this happen to me, lol. The bag was 100% authentic but the dust bag it came in was not. I got worried but luckily knew the brand/bag, and the buyer had 100% feedback. Not sure how she ended up with the dust bag though.

I've never received a fake dustbag but I've received an authentic one that wasn't an original for the bag-- like a newer Chanel dustbag with a vintage Chanel or a Prada dustbag that came with my LV bag:smile:

Yes, I think this definitely happens.

The seller (or a previous seller!) may have bought the bag (without a dustbag) and the dustbag (with, or without, another bag), on separate occasions and just paired them up?

As an older member here, 52, and customer since my teens, I didn't know there was any importance to dust bags, tags, receipts, boxes, cards, etc. until I joined this forum, so I didn't keep much. A mismatched dust bag wouldn't bother me, but today a fake one might make me suspicious. Still, if the purse is cool, I'd be okay.

I have received an authentic Chanel in a fake dust bag. I assumed they lost it and bought another not thinking there would be a difference...Of course, I made sure to have it professionally authenticated to be sure the bag was the only fake thing I bought!