Fake Coach Experience-- Had to Share!

I think a handout is a fantastic idea! If they argue, just offer it to them and let them read it later at their own leisure. I can't imagine that people WANT to be misled - but then again, people seem to think that "big corporations" are just out to screw the little guy. So I suppose nothing would help with that mentality. It's sad. You handled it really well.

You are very diplomatic and kind! I would have found it difficult to be kind to the woman who obviously came in to pick a fight. The older man clearly doesn't understand the concepts of fakes as unlicensed replicas and counterfeits which is somewhat understandable although I don understand how people think that it is appropriate behaviour to create such a scene. Did he really think you were going to reduce the price on the spot for him? You're certainly learning the joys of retail and customer service - keep smiling!

i mean, everything now days is faked (i even saw a fake BMW M3 the other day, I couldn't tell but the bf pointed out what was 'wrong' with it and said that pretty much the guy got the back tag off ebay and replaced the 325 with M3...sad but true, it happens a lot and i had NO idea)

I've seen that too LOL! It was really funny to see it, because it was a honda civic (even I could tell that it wasn't a BMW and I don't know jack about cars!!) and the guys (we got ther cell #) were trying to convince us that it was real LOL!

As for the old man baning his cane on the floor...:roflmfao::dftt:

I've seen that too LOL! It was really funny to see it, because it was a honda civic (even I could tell that it wasn't a BMW and I don't know jack about cars!!) and the guys (we got ther cell #) were trying to convince us that it was real LOL!

Haha yeah I used to encouter punk kids with their "fake" cars when I was with the ex. These kids buy Type R badges, slap them on their civics (or Nissans) and then act like that have a corvette engine in their civic. Type R cars are ONLY made in Japan and are completely different than import cars in the US.

As far as Coach goes, does Coach actually have stores in the countries in question? If not, I would have said that those bags couldn't be real since Coach doesn't even do business in said country.

As for the old man baning his cane on the floor...:roflmfao::dftt:

LMAO @ DIGBY!!! :nuts::roflmfao:

The best part about this story is the guy banging his cane on the floor! :roflmfao:

Ah, the joys of retail...and "the customer is always right!"
(yeah right :rolleyes: )

You know what? I don't feel bad for the elderly man. He should absolutely know how to conduct himself better than that in public. Banging his cane on the ground and throwing a tempter tantrum in the store just because he didn't agree with you? I mean good Lord! That's absolutely disgusting. Just because he's lived a long time, it doesn't give him a pass to act like that.

Sad thing is, a lot of people really thing there is no difference. Before I got into Coach, I didn't think there was a difference. Of course I'd never seen a fake, but I figured it would have to be just as good. They just don't get the enormous quality difference between real and fake. A Coach bag is more than just a logo fabric sewn into a purse.

^^AMEN sistah!

Thanks for all your positive feedback, ladies! I had no idea how to handle it and was COMPLETELY winging it-- we never went over this!-- and I was TERRIFIED my manager would say I handled it inappropriately. I felt like saying "Well you got a really great deal" was lame, but it was a way to end it nicely and avoid making a bigger scene. People amaze me so much!

Oh my goodness!!! What a crazy situation! Did the whole store burst into laughter as soon as that woman left?

The poor old man! Talk about a misunderstanding! I can see my grandfather doing the exact same thing. When you don't understand the whole "designer bag" thing, i can see how it would be a hard idea to process. lol

OMG, that's unbelievable. I don't understand why someone would get so upset about high priced NON-NECESSITIES. I mean if food, utilities, medical care is marked up and unaffordable, then that's one thing. But to argue about the price of a luxury item that you don't need is crazy. - It's simple, if you think it's too expensive, just don't buy it.

Alright, so I'm working in the boutique Saturday night. Very very busy day! And this woman comes strolling in with her daughter. I came up and greeted her, asking her if I could help her find anything. She lifted up her bag and showed it to me and started to brag, "I just wanted to see if I could find one like mine! I think it's special edition. My friend in China got it for me for $40!"

It was a signature stripe top handle pouch with a long strap, and the signature fabric AND the stripe were navy blue. I was just like... :wtf:

I had no idea what to say. I just smiled and said "I've never seen that style before." She pointed at the signature stripe totes and said "There, that's almost the same! I'm gonna get my friend to get me one of those." I tried to caution her, telling her that many bags in China were fake and that you get what you pay for, and she got all huffy and said I must be blind, and had I ever BEEN to China and seen their bags? And that the prices were much better and that more than $40 for a Coach bag was stupid. She then flounced out with her daughter. (Keep in mind, I did NOT tell her that she had a fake bag. We don't do that-- at least not in that way. We try to handle it diplomatically-- or we're supposed to. I just can't blurt out "THAT'S A BIG FAT FAKE!" If someone did it to me I'd be MORTIFIED. Even though fakes make me mad.)

Next, an old man came in with his wife. He pointed at our Legacy Leather Satchels and said, "Why do you mark them up so much here?" Puzzled, I smiled and said "Well, this is just how much Coach bags cost." His words: "No it's not. We were in Korea last month and they were only forty dollars."

I said, "Well, you get what you pay for, sir. Those were fake bags-- they weren't made by Coach." And he WENT OFF ON ME! "No they weren't! They were real! Looked just like that! Real bags. Not fakes. Why would someone make a fake purse? It was real you could carry it!" I was like, "No, sir, they weren't actually made by Coach. They're just very good copies." And my manager joined us and was telling him the same thing. Then he started banging his cane on the floor and saying "No they weren't! They were real! You people shouldn't mark them up so much, you're ripping people off! We'll buy them in china!" Then he and his wife left. Well, he dragged her out. She looked apologetic.

We were all just standing there going :wtf:

I just had to share. :roflmfao:

:nuts:

that was my expression!

thanks for the laugh

omigoshhhh

honestly. never ever. ever. in my whole two years (almost) of working at coach. have i everrrrrrr

had any encounters like that

sure, we've had pple come in with fake bags

they never brag tho!

and we get a lot of asian tourists coming through, today we had a lot of japanese....

thats just hilarious.

Oh gosh! Whenever someone is bragging about their fake bag that they got such a great deal on, I usually quietly say that Coach has never actually made a bag like that and they get the hint.

I hate when people run in the store though to just look at prices and than go "OMG MOM (who is outside the store) THIS BAG IS 400$!!!!!! WHO WOULD PAY THAT?" When clearly we have a store full of people and a line of customers paying....

People are nuts!

:nuts:

that was my expression!

thanks for the laugh

omigoshhhh

honestly. never ever. ever. in my whole two years (almost) of working at coach. have i everrrrrrr

had any encounters like that

sure, we've had pple come in with fake bags

they never brag tho!

and we get a lot of asian tourists coming through, today we had a lot of japanese....

thats just hilarious.

Completely ridiculous, isn't it? :roflmfao: