Travel Fairfax/Alexandria VA/Washington DC - suggestions?

yarbs83

O.G.
Mar 16, 2007
Hi there! I am visiting my brother who lives in Fairfax over Labor day weekend for my birthday. Any must sees or things to do? My husband and I are spending two nights in Alexandria VA as well. He has suggestions but also wants to know what I want to do and to be honest, I haven't done much research! :smile: Any advice is so appreciated!!

Have you done a search for Washington, D.C.? I know we've discussed this.

I'm pretty sure Fairfax is on the Metro line so you can go into the district for any of the Smithsonian museums, Arlington National Cemetery, the National Zoo, the Holocaust Museum, etc. Old Town Alexandria has walking tours from the tourist info location; you can walk down to the river; lots of places to eat and shop there.

I've heard the new Newseum is wonderful. If you're into shopping, you can't go wrong with Tyson's Mall or the high end Galleria across the highway. Vienna (nearby) has LV, Hermes, Tiffany and the wonderful Chef Geoff's restaurant.

Someone who lives there can give more specific information. There is no end of things to do in the DC area and Northern Virginia.

Have you done a search for Washington, D.C.? I know we've discussed this.

I'm pretty sure Fairfax is on the Metro line so you can go into the district for any of the Smithsonian museums, Arlington National Cemetery, the National Zoo, the Holocaust Museum, etc. Old Town Alexandria has walking tours from the tourist info location; you can walk down to the river; lots of places to eat and shop there.

I've heard the new Newseum is wonderful. If you're into shopping, you can't go wrong with Tyson's Mall or the high end Galleria across the highway. Vienna (nearby) has LV, Hermes, Tiffany and the wonderful Chef Geoff's restaurant.

Someone who lives there can give more specific information. There is no end of things to do in the DC area and Northern Virginia.
Thanks! I did search for Washington, but I'm unsure of how I should time things to see a good overview of the area :smile:. Honestly I didn't think much about going into Washington actually - this is really a spur of the moment trip I guess. I usually research things to death but hadn't thought about it at all with this one =).

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. There are cute shops and good places to eat in Alexandria. I recommend La Tasca if you like tapas. Fairfax has some great shopping. I also recommend a trip to Georgetown if you have time. I got out of DC for the holiday weekend- hopefully most of us did the same and it won't be too crowded for you.