Face care recommendations

tlj81

May 6, 2022
I wondered if anyone could recommend products (or what not to try) when it comes to face care please. I realise we all have different skin and what someone loves might be something another doesn’t! I am 41 with ‘normal’ skin, just feels a touch dull. I don’t have a price range/limit.

I have been using Neal’s Yard products for the last couple of years which I do like but I wondered if it was time for a change! I used to use Clinique for years when I was younger (late teens and 20’s) and have tried some Charlotte Tilbury & Topic products.

TIA :flowers:

Face care recommendations for me would include a good cleanser , essence, serum, eye cream,
face moisturizer, some type of exfoliant, masque, sunblock, facial tool & consistency
There are so many brands it is hard to pinpoint which one, but depending upon where you are
located a department store where you could sample several products would be a good start
If you are in the NYC vicinity I can recommend a shop that is really quite diversified in their
products & perhaps a telephone consult would help you narrow down the best brand for yourself.
I will pm you the name(s) of several places that I'm comfortable asking the questions

Last edited:
Most important is to do facial toning exercises (depending what's needed) and have a healthy diet with plenty of greens and antioxidants. Lots of different seeds on green salads (spinach, rocket, parsley, salad leaves etc).

The most important is a couple of drops of face oil (I use Augustinus Bader - doesn't have to be) first thing in the morning after cleansing and a high SPF (mine's Dior SPF50 ATM - doesn't have to be)

In terms of other bought skincare (I have bought at practically every price point) and aside from cleansers (double-cleanse: Dior Hydra Life Oil to Milk (discontinued) then CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser) I am on an Aveeno kick atm. Serum, Calm and Restore Oat Gel (day) & Re-Hydrating Night Cream for sensitive skin. The packaging is cheap and nasty but the stuff inside agrees with me.

I really do not see a huge difference between say, using Sisley Paris or a drugstore brand. I would check amounts gram to gram inside packaging, because sometimes there is not much £$€ in it

It's important too, to massage and work-in skincare, not just leave it sitting on the top.

I use finely-milled oat bran in a nut or seed oil as an exfoliating scrub. Hardly need any of either (T-zone only)

I prefer my 'jade' roller than ice to tone if feeling a bit 'puffy' rolled followed literally by cucumber slices.

Reactions: lill_canele
Generally speaking:

1) Sunscreen with at least SPF 45-50. (I like Shiseido and Anessa)
Chemical or physical sunscreen both work. Chemical ones may cause a reaction though (some ingredients give me a rash) so just be aware. Physical sunscreen ingredients can leave a bit of a white cast or is a little difficult to work with when putting on makeup. (but that's just personal preference.)
2) Daily moisturizer that works for you.
3) Eye cream to prevent and treat fine lines and wrinkles. I'm not sure for you but as I age the skin around my eyes gets gets very dry and I need an overnight eye cream.

I use a variety of drugstore and high end product. At the end of the day, it really matters what works for you.
If there was a product line that I use the most products, it would be Lancome. I love the serum, eye cream, and overnight cream.
I have a Neutrogena salicylic face wash and moisturizer that I use when I break out or start to break out.
For a standard foaming face wash, toners, and face scrubs, I really like a lot Japanese drugstore brands like Senka, Hada Labo, Gatsby.
My daily face moisturizer is Kiehls.
Once a while I put on a hyaluronic mask or retinol serum or cream.

I am personally not a fan of Vitamin C though I know many people love it for its brightening properties. Any Vitamin C product I try makes my skin feels like it's burning. But my skin may be on the more sensitive side.

1) Sunscreen in the morning, this is a must otherwise nothing else you apply will matter much. I prefer Korean sunscreens for their reasonable prices and elegant finish. Several have also been independently tested to verify the protection level on the label.
Brands to try: Beauty of Joseon, Scinic, Skin1004

2) A gentle cleanser. Can be gel, foam, milk, it cones down to what texture you prefer since you have normal skin (lucky!), but it shouldn't leave your skin feeling tight and dry afterward. Also make sure to double cleanse if you wear makeup.
Brands to try: Cerave, La Roche-Posay, Aveeno, The Inkey List

3) A dsily moisturizer. Similar to cleanser I feel like you don't need to spend $$$ to get great products. One of my faves is actually the Nivea creme in the blue jar! Or if you want to splurge the Lancome Absolue Soft Cream is just dreamy.

4) Vitamin C serum in the morning and Retinol in the evening. For vitamin c one of my favorites is by Algenist, or if you want to try Kbeauty, there's one from 107 Beauty that's really gentle too. Retinol I would start with something gentle like the Kiehl's Daily Micro-Dose Serum or a phased system like the Medik8 Crystal Retinal series. The idea is that you want to work your way up to Tretinoin which is the superstar ingredient for all things anti-aging!

Those are the basics, and if you want to expand your routine then I also recommend:

- An at-home facial device using proven technology. The Currentbody LED Mask is actually a great one that's made my skin brighter in the long run! I also love the Tripollar Stop X which uses RF to increase collage production.
- A chemical exfoliant to help with skin cell turnover for smoother and brighter skin. I love the Paula's Choice BHA for my t-zones (helps minimize appearance of pores) and then Sunday Riley Good Genes once a week (I skip retinol on days I use this).
- A facial essence or hydrating toner. Love the SK-II FTE. I feel like it just makes the rest of my products more effective and gives my skin such a nice glow!

I wondered if anyone could recommend products (or what not to try) when it comes to face care please. I realise we all have different skin and what someone loves might be something another doesn’t! I am 41 with ‘normal’ skin, just feels a touch dull. I don’t have a price range/limit.

I have been using Neal’s Yard products for the last couple of years which I do like but I wondered if it was time for a change! I used to use Clinique for years when I was younger (late teens and 20’s) and have tried some Charlotte Tilbury & Topic products.

TIA :flowers:
Maybe try brands which has more (proven) active ingredients. I like The Ordinary products (combined with other brands). They have a helpful online skin assessment questionnaire that you can complete, at the end of which you get product recommendations. You don't need to try them all but maybe try the cleanser, moisturizer/hydrator recommended for you as a start. Go from there to exfoliator if you like the products you tried. You can also try this system with other brands.
I won't recommend products are our skin is different. But I've recommended people to take the assessment and they've been happy with initial products they tried.

I noticed several years ago that my skin was just looking...dull. Over the years I have tweaked my routine and am really very happy with it! My skin has never looked better!

Here is my am routine:

Cleanser: Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash. I love it because it has a slight mint smell and really froths up, making my face feel clean.

Vitamin C: My absolute favorite is Beautycounter All Bright C Serum. I stock up during their sales, usually twice yearly.

Moisturizer: I'm currently using Origins GinZing

Here is my pm routine:

Cleanser 1: Bioerma Sensibio H20 Micellar Water

Cleanser 2: Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash

Toner/Serum 1 (MWF): Thayers Rose Toner followed by SkinMedica Retinol Complex 0.5
Toner/Serum 2 (Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun): Ole Henriksen Glow2OH Dark Spot Toner followed by Beekman Dream Booster Serum

Moisturizer: Beautycounter Recovery Sleeping Cream

Eyes: Revision D.E.J. eye cream

Additional things I do:

-1x a week I steam my face using my Vanity Planet steamer, followed by a mask. In the winter I use the Dermologica Intensive Moisture Balance. In the summer or if I'm having break outs I use Origins or Beautycounter Charcoal Masks.

-Exfoliate every other or every 2 days with ZO Exfoliating Polish (works so well and smells heavenly)!

Professional treatments:

-Every other month I get a hydrafacial paired with dermaplaning

-Opposite month I get an illuminized peel with dermaplaning

-1x a year I get a BBL laser treatment

Best recs:

For me, adding the Beautycounter Vit C in the morning, SkinMedica Retinol complex in the pm, and exfoliating with the ZO Ex Polish have been the biggest game changers. I try different toners and serums here and there. The professional treatments have also been very very beneficial.

Reactions: am2022
Ive heard wonderful reviews on the ZO polish.. thanks i guess its time a give it a try.

How about SPF. Ive used goop unseen clear SPF for 3 years now but i feel i feel i could do better.
TIA

I noticed several years ago that my skin was just looking...dull. Over the years I have tweaked my routine and am really very happy with it! My skin has never looked better!

Here is my am routine:

Cleanser: Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash. I love it because it has a slight mint smell and really froths up, making my face feel clean.

Vitamin C: My absolute favorite is Beautycounter All Bright C Serum. I stock up during their sales, usually twice yearly.

Moisturizer: I'm currently using Origins GinZing

Here is my pm routine:

Cleanser 1: Bioerma Sensibio H20 Micellar Water

Cleanser 2: Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash

Toner/Serum 1 (MWF): Thayers Rose Toner followed by SkinMedica Retinol Complex 0.5
Toner/Serum 2 (Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun): Ole Henriksen Glow2OH Dark Spot Toner followed by Beekman Dream Booster Serum

Moisturizer: Beautycounter Recovery Sleeping Cream

Eyes: Revision D.E.J. eye cream

Additional things I do:

-1x a week I steam my face using my Vanity Planet steamer, followed by a mask. In the winter I use the Dermologica Intensive Moisture Balance. In the summer or if I'm having break outs I use Origins or Beautycounter Charcoal Masks.

-Exfoliate every other or every 2 days with ZO Exfoliating Polish (works so well and smells heavenly)!

Professional treatments:

-Every other month I get a hydrafacial paired with dermaplaning

-Opposite month I get an illuminized peel with dermaplaning

-1x a year I get a BBL laser treatment

Best recs:

For me, adding the Beautycounter Vit C in the morning, SkinMedica Retinol complex in the pm, and exfoliating with the ZO Ex Polish have been the biggest game changers. I try different toners and serums here and there. The professional treatments have also been very very beneficial.

First off, let's talk about Argireline – it's like the secret weapon in the skincare arsenal! This peptide has been making waves for its alleged wrinkle-fighting prowess, and while opinions may vary, I've gotta say, it's worth a shot!

First off, let's talk about Argireline – it's like the secret weapon in the skincare arsenal! This peptide has been making waves for its alleged wrinkle-fighting prowess, and while opinions may vary, I've gotta say, it's worth a shot!

Now, onto the juicy stuff – face care recommendations. Where do I even begin? It's like diving into a candy store of options, am I right? From serums to masks to moisturizers, the possibilities are endless. Personally, I swear by a good ol' vitamin C serum to brighten up dull skin and keep those pesky fine lines at bay. But hey, to each their own, right?

So, fellow skincare junkies, what's your go-to product? Any holy grails you swear by? Let's swap secrets and spill the tea on our favorite potions and lotions. After all, sharing is caring, and who knows, we might just stumble upon our next skincare obsession together!

A never ending quest for finding high performing products from basic drugstore (that many swear by)
to the other end of the spectrum.
I use a serum, vitamin C, cleanser, essences, moisturizer, masque. eye cream & sun block.
Am now using Valmont which I like very much & a host of others that I alternate based upon the
needs of my skin.
Biologique Recherche (cleanser) Sisley, Good Genes, Allies of Skin, 111 Skin, La Roche Posay, Retrouve (cleanser)
Eighth Day serum, True Botanical serum, Shiseido Eudermine, de Mamiel, Argentum APothecary,
Irene Forte (love her serum, moisturizer, masque) Valmont ( masque, eye, mist, moisturizer)
Not a fan of Augustinus Bader as the products that I chose were not great, JMO
& also think where you go be it a department store or a specialty shop the person behind
the counter has to understand skin & be able to edit accordingly.

Last edited: