Experiences with StockX?

I had some time and looked into the website a little more (in regards to handbag buying/selling only). All I have to say about this site is that there is a ton of work that needs to go into their handbag selling platform. From an email with CS, I was told that they are only working with a few high-end brands at the moment and they have a "catalogue" of only selective items. So if your bag is not in their catalogue, you have to send them an email with pictures so they can add your handbag in order for you to list the item. So if you're looking to buy a classic Louis Vuittons Speedy, you're most likely looking at a stock photo. If you're in the market for something special and that item is the first of its kind to be listed, then you're getting (edited) pictures that were sent in by the seller.

The second thing that irks me is their condition criteria. They say they will only accept excellent condition handbags (meaning little to no wear). Here is their condition guideline outline of the yays and nays that they're willing to take/not take: https://stockx.com/news/follow-stockx-bag-condition-guidelines/ It still seems kinda of vague to me and I'd be holding my breath each time I send them a preloved handbag. Why? Because if your handbag doesn't pass their "excellent condition" criteria, they charge you 15% of the sale price. And I would assume that they have a team of different people checking in things. And while one person may think an item is in ex. condition, another might not. I know they probably follow a guideline, but what if you're unlucky and get someone SUPER picky? Seems a bit too risky for the average Jane who's just trying to clear out some preloved goodies. In all honestly, if I am going to list on StockX, I'd probably only list my new/like-new/mint condition items.

I haven't sold anything yet (or know of someone who has), so I can't comment on their payout time. The commission on the handbag category is 14.5%. And like Tradesy, they are charging sellers an additional 3% to cash out, either as a direct bank deposit or to PayPal. So all-in-all expect around 18% commission, which is comparable to what Shop-Hers used to charge. They do BIN/OBO types of auctions. You set a price, a buyer can choose to buy you out right or they can submit a general offer to all existing listings for the specific item. If they seller accepts the "bid" price, then the item sells for that price. There buy/sell format seems pretty straight forward.

Would I sell on this site? Yes, but only my new items to ensure that my items all pass the inspection process. Would I buy? Probably not, as I am quite meticulous on the condition of the items I am purchasing (yes, I am picky) and buying on StockX would probably mean I'd be buying with my fingers crossed that I would be getting an item in excellent condition up to my standards. I am sure I am not alone, but if I am dropping a few grand on a Hermes or Chanel, I'd sure want to see actual pictures and not some random stock photos.

Sorry for the long response, just expressing my personal thoughts on the site.

Last edited:
...Would I sell on this site? Yes, but only my new items to ensure that my items all pass the inspection process. Would I buy? Probably not, as I am quite meticulous on the condition of the items I am purchasing (yes, I am picky) and buying on StockX would probably mean I'd be buying with my fingers crossed that I would be getting an item in excellent condition up to my standards. I am sure I am not alone, but if I am dropping a few grand on a Hermes or Chanel, I'd sure want to see actual pictures and not some random stock photos.

Sorry for the long response, just expressing my personal thoughts on the site.

Thanks so much much for your input. For now I would not consider it a good platform for bags, however, both DSs have looked through the app and have curated their own wishlists of sneakers and clothes, so I’m in trouble anyway!!!

Looking on StockX as an additional selling platform. Interestingly, they don't accept Valentino yet but they have for example Bottega Veneta, which seems like it's less popular than Valentino? I may try listing a YSL bag.

Some of the "highest bids" are laughably low and they shouldn't allow bid below a certain % of retail price as it just makes the site not look serious. For example someone put in a $200 bid on a $4k chanel boy bag:
https://stockx.com/chanel-flap-boy-new-medium-quilted-metallic-calfskin-dark-grey

Also they have "Chanel VIP" items on the site, and I know there have been questions about how legit some of those items are. I know some are real but there's a really high chance for fakes with those.

Dropping by to update on my first sale.

It went extremely smooth. The item was new, never carried so I wasn't worried about it not passing their "excellent condition" guidelines. The company was able to check in my items, authenticate and release my funds, all within 10 minutes. This is a big upgrade from selling on Tradesy, where the last sale I made, I had to wait literally 2 weeks to get paid (and it seems like it's longer according to the Tradesy thread).

Looking on StockX as an additional selling platform. Interestingly, they don't accept Valentino yet but they have for example Bottega Veneta, which seems like it's less popular than Valentino? I may try listing a YSL bag.

Some of the "highest bids" are laughably low and they shouldn't allow bid below a certain % of retail price as it just makes the site not look serious. For example someone put in a $200 bid on a $4k chanel boy bag:
https://stockx.com/chanel-flap-boy-new-medium-quilted-metallic-calfskin-dark-grey

Also they have "Chanel VIP" items on the site, and I know there have been questions about how legit some of those items are. I know some are real but there's a really high chance for fakes with those.

I still do not recommend buying on the website, based on what I've read here and on my own. It seems a bit risky for me, personally.

You are right about their bids. I think they're still really young and there aren't enough serious buyers on the platform yet. It sort of reminds me of Poshmark and the super incredibly low offers I would get on my designer items. But then there's that rare moment when someone serious stumbles on your post and offers you a reasonable amount and a sale is made.

Honestly, I opened an account just to get a feel of how the platform works. I was able to list my items for a more reasonable price (vs. on Tradesy where the commission now is close to 25%) and was completely taken back when I made my first sale. But the process has proven to be easily peasy, so I'll just keep my current listings and continue to list if I have other applicable items. I am in no rush to sell, so I have no problem having the items sit until the right buyer comes because they would otherwise sit on Tradesy (due to my high asking price) anyways!

Reactions: domingo and BBC
So I just contacted them about getting a bag listed. I asked how you get a NWT bag listed as such, because everything says "pre-owned excellent condition." They said that is the only way an item can be listed. Which to me is really dumb, because if I have NWT bag I am going to be asking more for it than a bag that I have carried, even if it's in excellent condition. When you can't label it as such people aren't going to think your asking price is justified. I responded explaining the problem and told them I'd wait to list anything on their site until they allowed more details to be listed.

Reactions: bklner2014
@ThisVNchick I know you posted this a while ago, but thank you for sharing further details of your experience and opinions on StockX! One of your first comments about being likely to see stock images of bags is useful to know, but also strikes me as strange because if I were to buy a preloved bag, I'd want to know the spots where there are creases, or wear and tear etc...

It is also very useful to know that this platform would be useful for selling brand new items. I have a Chanel WOC which I'm considering selling and it's been used less than 15 times. When I'm ready to sell, I think I'll contact YC and Fashionphile first for quotes, then consider StockX if the quotes offered aren't very attractive...

@ThisVNchick I know you posted this a while ago, but thank you for sharing further details of your experience and opinions on StockX! One of your first comments about being likely to see stock images of bags is useful to know, but also strikes me as strange because if I were to buy a preloved bag, I'd want to know the spots where there are creases, or wear and tear etc...

It is also very useful to know that this platform would be useful for selling brand new items. I have a Chanel WOC which I'm considering selling and it's been used less than 15 times. When I'm ready to sell, I think I'll contact YC and Fashionphile first for quotes, then consider StockX if the quotes offered aren't very attractive...

I completely agree! Besides being able to see all of the flaws, even if minor, I think it’s silly that someone’s excellent used bag is considered the same as someone’s brand new bag. I know they said that there’s no such thing as a “new” bag once it has left the boutique (I think they’re trying to use the analogy of buying a car, no car is “new” once driven off the lot), but as a buyer, I’d like I know so I’d know which one to buy! What if I just prefer “new” bags? Or what if the owner of the new bag listed the bag for just $100 more than the EUC bag? I’d be willing to pay that $100 more for an unused bag for sure! But on StockX, it seems like the rule is whatever is asking the lowest sells first, so you can’t even buy the more expensive one even if you wanted to. Which to me is kinda weird since they take a percentage of your sales...wouldn’t they want to higher sale to sell? I think they’re too new to the world of handbags and overtime, hopefully, they’ll figure out some of the kinks.

P.s. There is a 50% off selling fee promo running until Sunday night when you set up your listing and use the code: bagx50. So instead of paying 18% it’s 9%, which means you’d net more than selling on eBay with funds being available the next day after the item passes inspection. I was able to lower the prices on a lot of my items and things have been selling left and right! I think if you price it right, you’d definitely make more than consigning to FP or Yoogis. My recent offers from both venues have been incredibly low :sad:

Completely agree with you, and thanks for the tip! I'm still deciding whether or not to pull the trigger and sell... Don't want to end up with regrets and all if you know what I mean! :smile:
I completely agree! Besides being able to see all of the flaws, even if minor, I think it’s silly that someone’s excellent used bag is considered the same as someone’s brand new bag. I know they said that there’s no such thing as a “new” bag once it has left the boutique (I think they’re trying to use the analogy of buying a car, no car is “new” once driven off the lot), but as a buyer, I’d like I know so I’d know which one to buy! What if I just prefer “new” bags? Or what if the owner of the new bag listed the bag for just $100 more than the EUC bag? I’d be willing to pay that $100 more for an unused bag for sure! But on StockX, it seems like the rule is whatever is asking the lowest sells first, so you can’t even buy the more expensive one even if you wanted to. Which to me is kinda weird since they take a percentage of your sales...wouldn’t they want to higher sale to sell? I think they’re too new to the world of handbags and overtime, hopefully, they’ll figure out some of the kinks.

P.s. There is a 50% off selling fee promo running until Sunday night when you set up your listing and use the code: bagx50. So instead of paying 18% it’s 9%, which means you’d net more than selling on eBay with funds being available the next day after the item passes inspection. I was able to lower the prices on a lot of my items and things have been selling left and right! I think if you price it right, you’d definitely make more than consigning to FP or Yoogis. My recent offers from both venues have been incredibly low :sad:

So what happened in this case? Did StockX accept the return or was the buyer out of the money? On StockX’s website it says sales are final which is scary because I echo all the sentiments in this thread regarding authenticity and condition

If they use Entrupy, they've proven that those of us who've questioned the accuracy of a computer authentication process have valid concerns.

I've heard through the grapevine that a StockX buyer of a Louis Vuitton Damier backpack had her purchase professionally authenticated after receiving it. The backpack was proven to be a superfake!

Beware!

Hi all -

I saw this thread and I know many of you read our post on PurseBlog. I would be happy to ask their team any questions you all have and come back with their responses. StockX is very established for sneakers/streetwear and is working to build its bag category. Hope I can help some!

Hi all -

I saw this thread and I know many of you read our post on PurseBlog. I would be happy to ask their team any questions you all have and come back with their responses. StockX is very established for sneakers/streetwear and is working to build its bag category. Hope I can help some!

As a seller, my main issue as I put above is that you can't distinguish between an unused bag with tags still on it and a gently used bag. I should be able to get a premium for selling an unused bag. As a buyer, not being able to see pics of the actual bag you would be buying, location of any scratches, etc. is a big turn off.

Hi all -

@Megs

As I'd posted here on June 24, all listings show just one picture of the front of a the bag listed. It was assumed that there's a learning curve and the site would make improvements. But in the nearly 2 months since those posts were made, there's been no improvement in the quality of their listings.

Since buyers are advised and encouraged to verify authenticity prior to purchase, none of Stockx's listings would be recommended. There's no way any authenticator is going to give a thumbs up based on one picture even if that picture is of the front of the actual item.

Here are a couple more examples.

Would you pay $22K for this with just a single picture?
https://stockx.com/hermes-birkin-togo-30-etoupe

How about $5K for this Gucci with just 1 picture.
https://stockx.com/gucci-top-handle-dionysus-bamboo-large-leather-black-gold-tone

TBH, I'm surprised that any sales have been made with so few pictures.

@Megs

As I'd posted here on June 24, all listings show just one picture of the front of a the bag listed. It was assumed that there's a learning curve and the site would make improvements. But in the nearly 2 months since those posts were made, there's been no improvement in the quality of their listings.

Since buyers are advised and encouraged to verify authenticity prior to purchase, none of Stockx's listings would be recommended. There's no way any authenticator is going to give a thumbs up based on one picture even if that picture is of the front of the actual item.

https://stockx.com/gucci-top-handle-dionysus-bamboo-large-leather-black-gold-tone

@Megs

I emailed their customer service about two weeks ago to inquire on the authenticity card of a Chanel bag I was interested in and have not heard back from them. It does not seem like they have good customer service in place at the moment. What if there was an issue with a purchase, who do you contact? It seems like a black hole at the moment...

This is the closest reference I found in their website in relation to my question of the bag being sold with the authenticity card... it says if it comes with accessories, such as, “dust bags, keys for Hermes bag, etc” you will see it in the picture. Not one of the pictures i looked at for Chanel bags had the authenticity card in it...

What will be included with my handbag?

stockxlogo-1487884790.png

Written by Russ
Updated over a week ago
Your bag will include:

● All original detachable straps

● A detachable pouch if applicable. Not all bags come with detachable pouches. If a bag is meant to come with a detachable pouch (like the Louis Vuitton Neverfull bags from 2014 and newer), it will be pictured in the listing. More information on Neverfull pouches on StockX can be found here.

● Hermes items will have the original lock and keys

● Accessories included with the bag, like lock and keys will be visible in the image on StockX If they aren't in the image, they aren't included.

Last edited:
Reactions: bklner2014