experience with dry, stiff lambskin? send help~

tenyongie

Nov 7, 2018
Hey ladies!!

So i recently procured a vintage 9" lambskin classic flap (5 series) and i love it soooo much but the thing is i'm not sure whether it's because the seller did not store or take care of it properly but the lambskin feels really dry, stiff and matte to the touch? + it doesnt help that the quilts are the flatter type so it feels even more "taut" to the touch LOL! it's so dry and stiff to the point where if i lift up the flap it will start creasing and wrinkling cause the lambskin is no longer soft and supple anymore!

I hence suspected that maybe 1) she stored it in a super dry place in the box for too long which caused the lambskin to dry out too much and 2) she used a product too harsh to clean the bag (she did tell me she uses Coach brand leather cleaner and conditioner)?

but like i have another vintage lambskin from way earlier (1 series) and the lambskin is still sooo smooth and soft so i'm just really perturbed by this difference despite the age gap between both bags :huh:

But i have no plans of returning it because believe me it still looks sooo beautiful overall and i love it to bits (and it's a rare 24k 9 inch)! So just wondering what will u guys do? would a bag spa help restore the softness? will conditioning with leather conditioner help? if any of you have any home DIY tips to treat dried out lambskin let me know yeah!

Thanks! :amuse:

Congratulations! I'm also a lover of vintage bags. You could certainly try conditioning it. There are some great products out there. If that doesn't work, consider a bag spa. Hope you are able to get it to a condition that satisfies you!

Reactions: tenyongie
Congratulations! I'm also a lover of vintage bags. You could certainly try conditioning it. There are some great products out there. If that doesn't work, consider a bag spa. Hope you are able to get it to a condition that satisfies you!
thanks dear! do you have any good conditioners to recommend? im sure you must have conditioned some of your vintage babies too :smile:

i have conditioned mine with good old nivea bodylotion in the bottle... if its good enough for my body, is good enough for my cc. do you want to share pics with us, it would help to go into detail. also i really wanna see that gorgeous bag lol

Reactions: tenyongie
I'm gonna second the re-dying.... if the bag was re-dyed, it could be that's the reason it feels "matte" or dry. This can't really be remedied. A leather conditioner might help a bit, but re-dying can change the feel of the leather.

For conditioners, I personally would not use a skin lotion. I've used the Apple brand and the Cadillac brand (both purchased from Amazon). Don't use the cleaner, just the leather conditioner. I also like "polishing" the leather after conditioning with Kiwi shine cloths. Good luck!

I'm gonna second the re-dying.... if the bag was re-dyed, it could be that's the reason it feels "matte" or dry. This can't really be remedied. A leather conditioner might help a bit, but re-dying can change the feel of the leather.

For conditioners, I personally would not use a skin lotion. I've used the Apple brand and the Cadillac brand (both purchased from Amazon). Don't use the cleaner, just the leather conditioner. I also like "polishing" the leather after conditioning with Kiwi shine cloths. Good luck!
hi! i'll definitely try again with my cadillac conditioner! i've lathered it on and while it felt moisturized in the process, afterward it goes away again T_T it's like my baby doesnt wanna drink up LOL! :amuse: i'll try again today :smile: and the bag has definitely not been redyed so i'm even more confused as to why it's like that :amazed:

Reactions: themeanreds
Has it been re-dyed?
it hasn't!! which is weird, right? it's just dried out...but i have a suspicion it may have been due to the product that the previous owner used to clean and condition the bag?

she told me that she used Coach's leather cleaner and moisturizer and after doing some research i read some ladies complain about the silicone ingredient in their products, and silicon is known to dry out leather in the long run :\ so i'm not sure if it's due to that + poor storage (sealed in airtight chanel box for years) that cumulated this whole dryness :sad: however i've also reached out to some local bag spas in my area for a consultation so i'll see if they can do something about this, on top of my own conditioning at home :smile:

Reactions: tannfran
i have conditioned mine with good old nivea bodylotion in the bottle... if its good enough for my body, is good enough for my cc. do you want to share pics with us, it would help to go into detail. also i really wanna see that gorgeous bag lol
Hahahahahha that's so funny good enough for your body good enough for your cc!! thanks for suggesting :smile: yes i'll post pictures soon but the thing is it still looks really normal and supple in pictures LOL thats why it's hard to capture the matte/stiff effect i'm talking about...i wish we had 4D effects so i could let you guys feel through the screen :biggrin:

Hey guys!!! Just an update with pics to show u guys!!

Update: i’ve conditioned it again with Cadillac leather conditioner and let it sit for 24 hours and to my surprise it feels less stiff now! Feels a lot more moisturised and when I when my finger down it doesn’t have that squeaky texture (ya it was that dry!!)

Also to illustrate, here are some photos to let u guys see! It looks okay in pictures but it doesn’t feel okay ((laughs)) near the top part of the flap u can see its wrinkles and creases from when it was dry!!