Exotic leather durability question ? ( shiny croc. , lizard, ostrich)

My Happiness

Chanel is My Rehab
O.G.
Apr 7, 2008
Dear, all

I'd like to ask about durability of these leather ,when I want to use it for almost everyday .

I'm considering to buy the small item ,ie wallet or kelly pochette.

Would you please compare the 3 exotic leather ( shiny-crocodile , lizard, ostrich)

1. when it's rain or just a tiny water drop on , which leather can be ok not ruined ? ,which one must avoid even the tiny drop of water ?

2. which leather is tend to have a scratched mark easily?

3. which leather can look aged most ?

I don't have any exotic skin before ,I'd love to try one.

thank you :smile:

Reactions: cecchetti
Just some of my experiences with the pieces that I own...

I have had good luck with ostrich - but it will darken from the oils in your skin. Otherwise it has been very durable for me (but I rotate my bags frequently, so nothing gets worn out anyway).

Lizard is fragile. I have a few bags and some small leather goods in lizard, and they will not withstand daily use. My lizard vision agendas and bearn wallet rub against everything in my purse. My lizard handbags need to be treated with care.

Croc has been fairly durable for me. You do have to be careful of water though. Even just setting your bag/wallet down on a counter that has some water on it can be troublesome for lighter colors. I had horrible problems with alligator (it was a diseased skin).

Epsom leather seems to show a lot of scratches when it is a light color (DH's Graphite Azap Long wallet is beginning to look very worn out).

OSTRICH.....fantastic! The color darkens on the handles.
CROC....gorgeous. Keep it out of the rain and away from liquid.
I have no experience with Lizard.....

While ostrich is compatible and durable w/liquids, crocs by far is still tops in exotic skins imho. I don't need to worry about ageing as much as ostrich and nothing beats the scales and color saturation of crocs. Just be careful with liquids.

thank you for all your kindly answer :love:

But , would it be ok if I go with the dark color croc. leather?

for water stain , it 'd have less problem than the lighter color croc. ?

(I want the shiney croc. kelly pochette in black color. )

thank you

Croc is my favorite exotic because, like IFFAH says, it ages beautifully, remains beautiful and is very tough. Just avoid liquids (but I avoid liquids for all my bags anyway).

I like lizard too and it's very durable for me. But again, avoid liquids. My only grouse with it is that it's now made only in smaller bags ie. 25cms.

Ostrich is my least favorite. It may be durable, but it ages poorly IMHO. It discolors easily. It's not just darkened handles. I have one which discolored unevenly just by storage alone, and another where the back is darker than the front because it was rubbing against clothing (not jeans). And when it ages, it looks old esp brown-tone birds like cognac, ebene. Once the patina developes, which can be in a year or two, it looks like it's been used quite a bit.

I own many exotic pieces by Hermes so I'd like share what I've experienced as well.

Crocs: Does not scratch or stain easily, but it is extremely vulnerable to water.

Ostrich: This is the most durable exotic skin I've used over the years. Yes, it darkens over time but it is completely resistant to water. The wear and tear level is low as well.

Lizard: Extremely vulnerable to water. My bearn wallet has several marks/water marks on it even though I have been quite careful with it. It also wears out more easily bc the skin itself is so delicate.

Reactions: grismouette
twigz, thank you for posting that. I like the patina/weathered look that ostrich can develop over time.

I agree with you about lizard, which is unfortunate because I adore the feel of it.

Ostrich is my least favorite. It may be durable, but it ages poorly IMHO. It discolors easily. It's not just darkened handles. I have one which discolored unevenly just by storage alone, and another where the back is darker than the front because it was rubbing against clothing (not jeans). And when it ages, it looks old esp brown-tone birds like cognac, ebene. Once the patina developes, which can be in a year or two, it looks like it's been used quite a bit.

Interesting because my personal experience has been the opposite of yours. I find that ostrich "aging" and patina (different from darkening) is actually quite lovely - my vert olive ostrich birkin is well used and actually probably looks better today than on the day I got her, with a nice subtle sheen that's developed from regular use. I have a 7 year old ebene ostrich bearn wallet that also has that nice sheen.

And I've always found that ostrich is the most resilient of exotics and even tougher than some regular leathers (like swift, for example) but I've never had uneven coloring or even color transfer ever from clothes happen to any of my ostrich bags.

Lizard is beautiful but is most definitely the most high maintenance of the exotics, and in my experience colors can sometimes fade over time and with regular use.