Exfoliation Season *tricks of the trade article*

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
I thought this article was very interesting especially the last paragraph about how to avoid a double chin.

TRICKS OF THE TRADE
Exfoliation Season
By ELLEN BYRON
December 6, 2007; Page D8

In addition to keeping the faces of celebrities such as Madonna, Kate Winslet and Susan Sarandon looking radiant, New York-based skin-care expert Tracie Martyn must keep her own skin aglow, a particularly difficult task during the winter months.

Healthy, glowing skin is a critical asset in her business, putting her skills on display, says Ms. Martyn.

During the winter, Ms. Martyn exfoliates more often -- about three times a week -- to get rid of dead skin. That allows the skin to easily absorb moisturizer, preventing dryness, she says. "I think people can make the mistake of buying very expensive, heavy creams, thinking their skin is dry, when really they just need to exfoliate," says Ms. Martyn.

She prefers exfoliating products with fruit enzymes, such as papaya and pineapple, because they feel gentler than other exfoliants on her sensitive skin, Ms. Martyn says. After leaving them on for about 10 minutes, she takes them off in the shower. "I do it in the morning because I want to look good all day," she says. After exfoliating, she always follows up with a moisturizer.

Application techniques matter, Ms. Martyn says. When applying products to her face, she uses upward strokes; if you're pulling down "every day over a period of several years, it makes a difference," she says.

As the weather grows colder, Ms. Martyn begins sleeping with a humidifier in her bedroom. "As soon as you feel that really dry air happening, that's when you need to use it," she says, adding that she advises clients to use them in their offices during the day, too.

Despite frigid temperatures, the sun can still damage the skin in the winter, so Ms. Martyn continues to apply sunblock every day, and when headed out during especially cold weather, she applies extra moisturizer before covering up as completely as possible with a scarf.

With holiday parties in full swing, Ms. Martyn advises clients to drink only in moderation, as alcohol takes a toll on skin.

Beauty sleep helps, too: Ms. Martyn says she has learned to sleep flat on her back, keeping a pillow on either side of her face -- a trick, she says, to help her avoid getting a double chin. "I can tell if my clients use pillows by looking at their chins," she says.

I don't think I understand this pillow-business right :shrugs:

Anyone care to enlighten me? Is to keep the skin from "hanging down" from the sides of the face to prevent stretching?? Wow, I feel clueless hehe

I've heard it causes wrinkles and I can see that, somethimes I have short term wrinkles when I wake up in some spots, not mattress marks, but where the skin was too squished for a while. But I don't understand how it causes a double chin. . . my over indulging causes that!

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel contains fruit ingredients to exfoliate, I've used that once a week for about a month now and my skin looks really brighter and I like it better than a rough exfoliator. I also use their nutritient mask twice a week on different days- same thing, I love it!

Great article, but I don't understand the pillow thing, either... I can only sleep when I am comfortable and I am definitely not comfortable on my back. I think I will risk a double-chin and keep sleeping the way I am. lol

i like that idea of the humidifier while sleeping. since the cold weather creeped in. my goodness!! my skin has gotten so dry.

Definitely keep that in mind when i go out shopping this week

Great article, but I don't understand the pillow thing, either... I can only sleep when I am comfortable and I am definitely not comfortable on my back. I think I will risk a double-chin and keep sleeping the way I am. lol

Me either. I think she doesn't sleep with any pillow under her head. And places one on each side of her head so she doesn't turn over.

That would be complete torture for me! I used to sleep on my stomach, but pregnancy forced me to adapt and now I sleep on my side.

Does anybody get the pillow/sleeping on the back thing?

^ I don't really get it either. It sounds like a wives' tale to me :shrugs:

How does this lady not move in her sleep??? I always wake up with pillows, blankets and clothes everywhere. This would never work for me! :nogood: