EWWWW...that SMELL!

Definitely NOT a leather smell. I love the smell of new leather and have many leather bags that do not smell like this. I swear...it's like it's been sitting in Aunt Zelda's underwear drawer for a bazillion years.

I'll air it out and report back.

Boy...I had a whole thread on this when I received my first RM Night Nikki. It is the leather processing for sure and it SMELLS horrible. I think anything glazed does.

The Dark Brown leather is very similar in color and texture to the Glazed Espresso leather. There is an entire thread about how the Glazed Espresso leather has a smell. I have a DB Nikki and had a Glazed Espresso mattie and the limited edition Hello Kitty Tote. Of all of those purses, the DB Nikki has the strongest smell.

Here's the thread about the Glazed Espresso. http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...ed-espresso-arrived-and-it-smells-251943.html

Definitely NOT a leather smell. I love the smell of new leather and have many leather bags that do not smell like this. I swear...it's like it's been sitting in Aunt Zelda's underwear drawer for a bazillion years.

That made me LOL!!! :roflmfao::roflmfao:

I mean it wasn't enough for the bag to belong to crotchety old Aunt Zelda....but apparently old ladies keep all their smelly stuff in their underwear drawers! :roflmfao:

Good luck with removing the smell....I'll bet it'll just air out on it's own in time!

haha, see now I'm embarrassed. I also have a DB Nikki that I LOVE!! and it also smells of soap. Except unlike the rest of you, I like it! Guess I'm an old lady in a 27 year old's body!! :shame: It definitely smells like soap, and I think maybe I like it b/c it smells like my grandmother's bathroom! :P (she died and I miss her)

Last edited:

:roflmfao:

(Not about your situation, but rather your detailed description of it!)

For what it's worth, I got a wine Nikki from LB yesterday, and no odd stench. In fact, having ordered (too) many bags from them in the last few years, I have never had this experience. You might want to call and ask if they have noticed this with the DB leather in general. GL!

:roflmfao: You're so funny! I would return it. There's something obviously wrong with it because it's not supposed to smell like that.

Good quality leather should NOT smell funky.....I don't care what dye is used.

Unless it's vinyl or plastic, leather should smell like LEATHER, despite the color.

Send the bag back.....it's a no-brainer.

Ha. Too funny. I have a Noir Nikki I just bought and was trying to figure out what the smell was (mine smells like really ritzy perfume) and how I could get more. It's not the soap that was included in the box (it's from Lunaboston) so it must be the processing. Not sure if we have the same scent but I'm with Mega100, I love it.

However, don't keep something you aren't happy with--esp. for RM money. Send it back, for sure!

One other note: the scent is fading quickly, so I'm assuming with regular wear it will dissipate entirely.

My pewter and double cream Nikki's smell like leather only.

Good luck!

i think i am familiar with the smell you are describing. it smells like a pungent, sweet perfume. some of the newer fall bags smell this way. if you don't like the smell i would say exchange it but unfortunately i think if you're exchanging for the same colored bag all of them will smell like this for a while...

It's from the treatment of the leather I think.. I happened to like it while others don't.. it's different for everyone and everyone has a different way of describing it.

Sorry to hear you don't like but if it helps at all it does go away with time! It's a lot more noticeable on the heavier glazed bags and there are several threads on this but I have noticed that there is a slight scent on the shimmery fall bags too.
Again, which I happen to like bc I'm crazy.. but other members don't.

Edit to add: I'm sorry.. I see you all have come to this conclusion already.. didn't mean to repeat old info.

I bought a Miu Miu bag this past spring that smelled so bad I took it back. It really bothered me! It was a huge all grey leather bag with a shine to it. Maybe this is what you are referring to as the "glaze." I ordered a clutch from LB yesterday, and I almost called them today to tell them not to put soap in it! (i've never ordered from them before and I'm worried now! If mine smells, I will return it in a flash!