Evening bag dilemma

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
Hi, ladies! I need some opinions regarding h evening bags.

I have a Blue St Cyr KP GHW and for the longest time I wanted it, but I find that I am not using it all that much. All of a sudden I find myself interested in a Jige (maybe red or blue or a neutral) instead. I don't carry much for evening - mini silkin, mini purell, my phone - and it seems like those will be fine in a jige. If I take the plunge, I wouldn't keep both - I just don't feel the need to have too many bags.

So, those of you with either or both, please tell me your thoughts. Is the jige just as formal as a KP? Are there places I ought not to use it? Have any of you found one more versatile than the other? TIA!!

Your taste in colors is superb. I have seen you post a shot of that gorgeous bag, it is amazing! I have the opposite dilemma, I have a Jige I never use as I am always afraid of stains since it can only be held on the actual body of the bag. I have been looking for a Kelly Pochette bc of the handle.

Personally, I have used my Jige once, bc of the fear of staining it. If you are comfortable with that issue and/or get a darker color, then go for it, as I think the Jige is gorgeous.

Reactions: nicole0612 and BBC
Hi BBC!
I don't own a Jige, but I do think they are great looking clutches. I love the handle on the KP and feel that with the broader base it holds everything I need for the evening. I also like how I can keep it in my lap with a separate napkin over it to protect it at the table. The color of your KP is outstanding! Do you think you would use it for spring/summer luncheons, weddings, charity events? These bags are so hard to come by; I would worry that by not holding onto your
gem that you might miss it. Perhaps, add a clutch that you may want exclusively for fall/winter but keep the blue KP for other seasons? Just my two cents..... (You have the most magnificent bags, by the way! :smile:)

Your taste in colors is superb. I have seen you post a shot of that gorgeous bag, it is amazing! I have the opposite dilemma, I have a Jige I never use as I am always afraid of stains since it can only be held on the actual body of the bag. I have been looking for a Kelly Pochette bc of the handle.

Personally, I have used my Jige once, bc of the fear of staining it. If you are comfortable with that issue and/or get a darker color, then go for it, as I think the Jige is gorgeous.

I would go for the KP. I don't think a Jige is dressy at all and I think the KP is more versatile and has the little handle which makes it easier to carry at times.

Hi BBC!
I don't own a Jige, but I do think they are great looking clutches. I love the handle on the KP and feel that with the broader base it holds everything I need for the evening. I also like how I can keep it in my lap with a separate napkin over it to protect it at the table. The color of your KP is outstanding! Do you think you would use it for spring/summer luncheons, weddings, charity events? These bags are so hard to come by; I would worry that by not holding onto your
gem that you might miss it. Perhaps, add a clutch that you may want exclusively for fall/winter but keep the blue KP for other seasons? Just my two cents..... (You have the most magnificent bags, by the way! :smile:)

I agree that the Jige isn't formal per se. I wouldn't wear it with a gown or for black tie. But if those aren't common occasions and you just like it better, it might be more versatile for you :flowers:

Ooh! Responses from four awesome ladies, and all of you have opinions which I truly respect and appreciate!!! Thank you so taking the time!

I can see that the Jige perhaps is not really as formal as the KP.
In my rush to post, I did forget to mention that I do have two other pieces which I think can fill in the gaps:

1) I have a rose shocking chevre Kelly wallet GHW - holds most of what I need except the purell.

2) - and this is really what I SHOULD be using at really formal events - last year DH surprised me with a Judith Leiber bag. Yeah, it's very sparkly and a bit unwieldy (the very complicated hot air balloon shape), but one of the best moments ever was when DH presented it to me (hahaha after his first trip ever to Neiman Marcus - the man just got sucked in like I do!!!), he said "it was so beautiful I wanted you to have it" ([emoji177][emoji177][emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]) so I really need to use that for very formal, I think

So yes? Jige/Wallet/Sparkly covers it all?

ETA: running around this evening- will respond to each of you individually ASAP [emoji254][emoji254][emoji254]

You answered my question about really formal events since you have the JL. Congrats on that! That type of bag is used so little for the most part that having more than one is really not necessary. My funny moment was a recent trip to NM and walking past a display of evening bags only to see the doppelganger of a bag that I have had for at least 25 years! They are bringing back molded Lucite and the one they had was black in a clam shell design and that is exactly like mine! Happy that I still have my Paloma Picasso book bags from the same time period. Chanel recently did their copy of it. Certain styles never die.

A friend of mine uses her Farandole as a shoulder strap through her Kelly wallet. You might be able to duplicate that with a strap in your closet if you don't have a chain.

Reactions: prepster and BBC

Thank you! After having the KP for a while, I don't it's any safer from stains than a Jige. What color is yours?

Reactions: prepster
O
Ooh! Responses from four awesome ladies, and all of you have opinions which I truly respect and appreciate!!! Thank you so taking the time!

I can see that the Jige perhaps is not really as formal as the KP.
In my rush to post, I did forget to mention that I do have two other pieces which I think can fill in the gaps:

1) I have a rose shocking chevre Kelly wallet GHW - holds most of what I need except the purell.

2) - and this is really what I SHOULD be using at really formal events - last year DH surprised me with a Judith Leiber bag. Yeah, it's very sparkly and a bit unwieldy (the very complicated hot air balloon shape), but one of the best moments ever was when DH presented it to me (hahaha after his first trip ever to Neiman Marcus - the man just got sucked in like I do!!!), he said "it was so beautiful I wanted you to have it" ([emoji177][emoji177][emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]) so I really need to use that for very formal, I think

So yes? Jige/Wallet/Sparkly covers it all?

ETA: running around this evening- will respond to each of you individually ASAP [emoji254][emoji254][emoji254]
BBC,
This is perfect! Jige/Wallet/and Sparkly are exactly what you need to cover your evenings out! You DH is so sweet to gift you with that JL! That is a piece of art!!! For the purell, I have seen that they now make individually packaged towelettes that could fit into your Kelly wallet. I have always wanted a Kelly Wallet to use as a clutch. That, or a constance wallet. So many beautiful designs! Have a happy Saturday night!

I would go for the KP. I don't think a Jige is dressy at all and I think the KP is more versatile and has the little handle which makes it easier to carry at times.

You answered my question about really formal events since you have the JL. Congrats on that! That type of bag is used so little for the most part that having more than one is really not necessary. My funny moment was a recent trip to NM and walking past a display of evening bags only to see the doppelganger of a bag that I have had for at least 25 years! They are bringing back molded Lucite and the one they had was black in a clam shell design and that is exactly like mine! Happy that I still have my Paloma Picasso book bags from the same time period. Chanel recently did their copy of it. Certain styles never die.

A friend of mine uses her Farandole as a shoulder strap through her Kelly wallet. You might be able to duplicate that with a strap in your closet if you don't have a chain.

Yes, you are right, the handle is handy, but I think the advantage to the Jige is that it would be a bit easier to "share my chair" with it - can slip it behind me if there is a chair back, or on my lap under the napkin.

JL is all my DH knew of bags when I met him, so even though he is well-trained in H, I was not completely surprised. I have only used it once, at a Bar Mitzvah. Gorgeous and completely impractical! I am really not sentimental at all with 'things' but this is definitely a piece I will always have to keep.

I adore the molded lucite, too....a million years ago when I was in law school, my best friend had a summer job in the city and roomed with a young lawyer from the firm at his place down on Thompson Street (kill me now, that guys parents paid $125k for a one bedroom on Thompson street!!!!) anyway it was right next door to a boutique that had shelves full of those lucite bags, I would stop on and look at the time, I loved those little gems!

I've used a Twilly as a strap for the wallet - I have also used a doubled long pearl necklace. Works great. I have seen the farandole used, but I always think it will damage the leather.

Hi BBC!

Hiiiiii Ladybaga!!!!!! Thank you, sweetie!

I have used the KP but not as much as I thought I would. It's fabulous with black, navy, grays, taupe, all the neutrals, but have discovered there are some colors/tones I wear that don't actually work with it. You are right, though, don't want to regret not having it, perhaps I should just add a Jige (in a different color) and then decide. [emoji362][emoji848]