Eva Removable Chain

May 22, 2007
I bought a mono Eva a few weekends ago and while I'm still really very happy with my decision, I do have one nagging complaint. I wish the gold chain was removable because when I use the cross-body strap the chain clanks (for lack of a better word) against the bag.

I noticed tonight that the chains on the Damier Evas (both ebene and azur) are removable! This seems unfair!

Does anyone know how much a replacement chain for an Eva is? I am considering trying to buy one that has snaps on both ends and replacing mine.

The other idea I had was to have my father take off the non-removable one and fashion some sort of snap myself but I'm afraid this might look tacky since there's no way to duplicate the snap that's on the other end (unless I could beg and plead with my local LV to order me that single piece of hardware!).

Any thoughts?

Wow, I did not notice that the chains can be removed in Damier!
I asked an SA once and they told me you cannot order the gold chain on its own. But I read in a thread somewhere that you could, so I'm not really sure.

It is very hard to match LV hardware so I probably would not want to go that route.
Good luck deciding and hope you find an acceptable solution!

Ah, I've been wondering the same thing! If the chain were removable, I would use the Eva more often as the dangling chain makes it a little too dressy for me at times. I would love to be able to use it as a crossbody bag with casual clothes, i.e., no chain.

If the gold chain is a problem for you, maybe you could remove one side, and then hide the chain inside the bag? For me, I just use it as it is, the clanking does not bother me too much.

Just a thought.....a friend of mine said that you can tuck the chain inside the bag if you didn't want it out? Have you tried that? HTH!

I was all set to tell you that I tried that and that because the fixed end of mine is where the zipper starts, it's impossible to do.

Then, while playing it with it, I realized that because LV makes their zippers longer than the bag, they create that little gap underneath. I can slip the chain through the little gap like so:

DSCF0676.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

DSCF0677.jpg

:yahoo:I am so happy! Good way to start the morning.

Embarrassed, however, that I missed such an easy solution. :blush:

I do think it's pretty funny though that the Damier versions are so much different- removable chain, the larger name plate (like the Sophie had), etc. Now if they have adjustable cross-body straps, I might be back in there exchanging mine . . .

Thanks for the replies!

i returned mine for that matter!!!! when i was walking the chain made such an AGGRAVATING noise i couldn't stand it!!! and it was too long on me :sad: so sad i was so excited about eva!!!

the eva's chain is not removable completely, it's just one side can clip and unclip, but the other is connected to the bag. Isn't the mono like that as well?

I was all set to tell you that I tried that and that because the fixed end of mine is where the zipper starts, it's impossible to do.

Then, while playing it with it, I realized that because LV makes their zippers longer than the bag, they create that little gap underneath. I can slip the chain through the little gap like so:

DSCF0676.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

DSCF0677.jpg

:yahoo:I am so happy! Good way to start the morning.

Embarrassed, however, that I missed such an easy solution. :blush:

I do think it's pretty funny though that the Damier versions are so much different- removable chain, the larger name plate (like the Sophie had), etc. Now if they have adjustable cross-body straps, I might be back in there exchanging mine . . .

Thanks for the replies!

I have a damier ebene Eva and the strap does not detach completely. I use the tucking method described above. It seems to work just fine, but I've not yet tested it by wearing it with the leather strap.

Hmm well the Louis Vuitton website has me fooled then. It specifically says on the Damier versions "Removable leather strap and chain" while the for mono it says merely "Removable shoulder strap".

However a close inspection of the pictures does seem to reveal the Damier versions only have one snap, too.

False alarm?

Hmm well the Louis Vuitton website has me fooled then. It specifically says on the Damier versions "Removable leather strap and chain" while the for mono it says merely "Removable shoulder strap".

However a close inspection of the pictures does seem to reveal the Damier versions only have one snap, too.

False alarm?

Sometimes I think that there are different versions of the same bag out there - I am new to LV and didn't really know if it generally came with totally removable strap. I just knew that mine was not removable! :smile:

Sometimes I think that there are different versions of the same bag out there - I am new to LV and didn't really know if it generally came with totally removable strap. I just knew that mine was not removable! :smile:

It reminds me of cars. You know you buy the 2010 model and for 2011 they tweak little subtle things. Not body style or design or anything major but maybe they improve the dials on the radio? And you think to yourself "I wish I had waited" . . . I could certainly see Louis "improving" certain characteristics of bags during the next production cycle and it not being publicized at all.

I have twin Eva in Damier, both chain are not detachable :sad: , like you, started playing with the chain and found solution by tucking-in the chain inside :idea:.

DSC06005.jpg

you are welcome to have a look at my albums for more pic of eva

I also didn't think the chain could be removed on the Damier Eva...it would be great if it could though!
I'd use it on my Damier Cles or my Agenda just to have something extra to hang on to!