European drugstore beauty brands - recommendations?

bbeeccaa

O.G.
Jul 1, 2010
Hi,

I'm going to be in Europe next month (Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam) and was interested in picking up some skin products for the blistering winter. I wanted to know if there are any good quality drugstore brand facial products that you ladies like using? Or are they all available in the states anyway? Suggestions are very welcome :cool: tia

Since you're going to Paris, you must stop by City Pharma. It's like a beauty depot with better prices than the regular Pharmacies.

There are some European brands available in the US, but I've found that the quality isn't the same when its produced specifically for US distribution.

I purchased some products by Avene and Nuxe (on recommendation from fellow tPFers) and I really like them, so far.

For moisturizer - Emborylisse

Touted as the miracle product for anti-aging: Avibon, you gotta get it. Might be hard to find, but worth it if you get your hands on it.

Nivea creme, made in Germany - no mineral oil, and supposedly better than the formula sold in the North American market.

I also second the recs for Caudalie, Avene & LRP; I'd also highly recommend Bioderma - especially the Sensibio H20 Micelle Solution & AR Anti-Rougeurs cream if you have sensitive skin.

It's makeup, but definately check out Bourjois - the Round Pot Shadows & Blushes, as well as the mascaras are top-notch. As Bourjois has pulled out of Ulta & Sephora in the US, I'd definately stock up.

Since you're going to Paris, you must stop by City Pharma. It's like a beauty depot with better prices than the regular Pharmacies.

There are some European brands available in the US, but I've found that the quality isn't the same when its produced specifically for US distribution.

I purchased some products by Avene and Nuxe (on recommendation from fellow tPFers) and I really like them, so far.

For moisturizer - Emborylisse

Touted as the miracle product for anti-aging: Avibon, you gotta get it. Might be hard to find, but worth it if you get your hands on it.

are those brands easily found throughout europe? like in pharmacies, grocery stores, department stores, etc.

Nuxe for sure! Also, the best mascara on earth is Helena Rubenstein -- not necessarily drugstore but totally worth picking up. Also, sunscreen is better in Europe. Different ingredients. longer lasting & in my experience gentler on the skin. That stuff you actually can't buy here, so it's worth trying a few to bring back for the summer.

I also second the recs for Caudalie, Avene & LRP; I'd also highly recommend Bioderma - especially the Sensibio H20 Micelle Solution & AR Anti-Rougeurs cream if you have sensitive skin.

I love Caudalie products as well, and I LOVE Bioderma. My skin is a bit more oily, so I use the Sebium H2O Micelle Solution and it's my HG. I hear it's very reasonably priced in France.

yes and no ;)

some are only available in pharmacies and para-pharmacies (but you have those in more or less every town) and some are available in department stores too. Some grocery stores (like big Carrefour) have also a parapharmacie build directly in the store...

are those brands easily found throughout europe? like in pharmacies, grocery stores, department stores, etc.

I really like La Roche Posay and Vichy (both are most easily available in Paris, you have to go to an actual pharmacy in Amsterdam instead of just a drug store to find it). They're also a little pricier than regular drug store brands.
I'm in LOVE with the L'Oreal Triple Action skin care line, which is the easiest to buy in Amsterdam. The cremes keep my skin fresh and protected and moisturized in the west European winters.

I live in Paris now and always tell my friends to stock up on the following:

-Biafine- amazing cream for any skin irritations and the best for sunburns, in the US its only available by prescription mostly for radiation treatment burns I believe and costs a lot more! I highly suggest you pick up more than one tube. Its only about 5 euros. I remember even Gwyneth Paltrow featured it in her newsletter and I agree! I also slather it on once a week as a hydrating/nourishing mask too.

-Avibon- sadly currently out of production but its a great pure Vitamin A cream

-Bioderma Eau Micellaire- its a really nice toner/cleanser. If you have oily skin get the line with the lime green cap and if you have dry/normal get the red cap

-Nuxe dry oil used for hair or body moisturizing

-Anyone with sensitive skin, Avene has many different lines all tailored to sensitive skin like acneprone, antiaging etc

-Embryolisse moisturizer is good if you don't have acne prone skin

-Homeoplasmine- homeopathic skin balm for irritations, cuts etc

I agree with the poster saying in Greece to stock up on Apivita. They make a great line of single-use face mask packets. I bought one of each and I loved them. I only regret not having bought more! I also got a great body lotion from them. Korres is nice too but I LOVED Apivita.

I am sure I am repeating what previous posters have said for some of the things to buy but they are truly great!