Europe tips and tricks?

I am back from a trip to Vienna and have several questions I would love to have some answers to. :smile:
I bought three slg's--for a total of 550 euros. When we checked out we were asked if we wanted to pay in euros or us dollars. The SA said it would be better for us to pay in Us dollars and so we did. Now that we are home and I have gotten all of my items out I noticed that I didn't get a receipt in the brown envelope like I have gotten here in the US. The SA had given me paperwork for the VAT, which I got back (about 12%) but now I have no receipt for my purchase. Is this right? Should I not have a receipt? The other thing is that in discovering this I began researching and found that it is actually better to pay in the home currency. In this case the euro. Is that right? And if so, that is pretty crappy for the SA to tell us differently. The total was 550 euros or $770. That doesn't seem right to me. The exchange rate would make it around $715. So they charged an extra $55? This was my first time buying out of the US so I could be understanding this all wrong. Please enlighten me! :smile:
do you mean its better to pay in your home currency meaning the USA??

do you mean its better to pay in your home currency meaning the USA??
Hi, as a rule of thumb: when you are in Europe always pay in the currency of the country (€ or £ in UK)- not in US $! Because if you pay in $, they will apply their "own" exchange rate which is always higher than the actual one.
The same applies to cash machines. It´s a subtle way for them to earn some extra money.

Reactions: Kathleen37
Hi, as a rule of thumb: when you are in Europe always pay in the currency of the country (€ or £ in UK)- not in US $! Because if you pay in $, they will apply their "own" exchange rate which is always higher than the actual one.
The same applies to cash machines. It´s a subtle way for them to earn some extra money.

That's a great tip, thank you! I need to check my calendar and book a trip when I can. I can't wait to go. I hear with the current exchange rate and getting the VAT back you can get LV or other European brands 25-30% off from prices here at home. Is this true? Anyone back recently from France or Europe with a nice shopping haul?

That's a great tip, thank you! I need to check my calendar and book a trip when I can. I can't wait to go. I hear with the current exchange rate and getting the VAT back you can get LV or other European brands 25-30% off from prices here at home. Is this true? Anyone back recently from France or Europe with a nice shopping haul?
Yes it's true. You can check French prices on the French LV site and use an online converter. You will save a lot.

My daughter is studying in Spain and took a trip to Paris a little over a week ago. She bought a Neverfull MM, she paid in euros and my credit card was charged $1020 (retail in US before sales tax is $1260) and she will also get an additional VAT tax refund when she returns home.

My daughter is studying in Spain and took a trip to Paris a little over a week ago. She bought a Neverfull MM, she paid in euros and my credit card was charged $1020 (retail in US before sales tax is $1260) and she will also get an additional VAT tax refund when she returns home.

Now that's to nice to hear patrickntoni! And nice of you to let her use your credit card ; ))

I haven't gone to Europe (yet). But so true, when buying in foreign countries, always pay in local currency. Otherwise, you'll get hit with the lower exchange rate plus fees. I also suggest getting a CC that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

Hi there. I just got back from Vienna as well - and bought a Neverfull GM at the Vienna LV. I did get 2 receipts from the SA - one for the tax refund and one for me to keep. And I did choose to pay on Euros - it cost me $1426 in Canadian dollars before the VAT refund and the Neverfull GM here sells for $1700 before tax

Even if you don't have a receipt - I think they keep a record of your purchases and maybe you can get a duplicate here ?