etiquette on giving gifts to SAs?

lol Bak Kwa to Paris.. Can she bring meats in?

Anyway hmm it seem weird to have SA receiving gifts from Customers instead of the other way round. Its really unique :P

I've had this conversation with my SA, and he told me that they are allowed to accept food delivered to the boutique, which is always shared with the entire staff. So, I would stick to that approach to express your appreciation.

That's recent official H policy. Things to share between the entire staff are absolutely fine, personal gifts are not and staff could actually get into trouble accepting these :yes:

I am wondering.....Would you give something to the lovely lady who helps you find your size or fit by regularly bringing you clothes while you are in the dressing room and that....several times a year at .....Zara?:thinking:

Mariapia, I do see your point, but this is a little different. If Hermes items were as easy to obtain as Zara, well, perhaps the gifts would be ridiculous. But Hermes SAs often do rather more than just "bring us" the items. They often have to scramble, scheme, and sweat to obtain for us what our hearts' desire--at least mine does--and for that the occasional, appropriate present seems more reasonable. IMO.

I understand, Mindi, I know It's so difficult for the ladies to get their HG, that they want to personally thank the SA who made it possible. I was only saying that gifts from customers unfortunately happen in prestigious places only....

So true, and it's kind of too bad. No matter how expensive or inexpensive the merchandise they sell, a good sales associate is a wonderful boon and should be appreciated!

Absolutely!
I also think that a gift is not as innocent as it looks.
Personally, if I were an SA, it would embarass me a lot. As if I would have to favour the lady customer in the future..
And for the customer it is also a way of saying " Thank you for what you did for ME"

This is also a good point. Some people would feel that the gift conveyed some sort of obligation. That's the problem with giving something to a person one doesn't know well: It's hard to predict how it will be perceived. . . . The best "gift" might be a handwritten note just saying thank you and how much one is enjoying the whatever-it-is. . . and if you mention to the SM that your SA is a star, too, that might be appreciated.

I am wondering.....Would you give something to the lovely lady who helps you find your size or fit by regularly bringing you clothes while you are in the dressing room and that....several times a year at .....Zara?:thinking:

I don't necessarily give a gift to a very helpful SA, but I do write a nice note to corporate/management whenever I get service that is above and beyond what I expect. I have done this for SAs from stores such as J Crew. If I shopped with them regularly I would consider bringing a small gift if it seemed appropriate. I haven't brought any gifts to my Hermes SA...yet...but she does go out of her way for me, so I would feel justified in doing so (as long as it meets the boutique guidelines). I did send her a thank you note.

I had an incident last year where I wasn't feeling well and actually FAINTED in the store. All of a sudden I was dizzy and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. Everyone was so kind to me, got me juice and candies and talked to my husband on the phone and my SA walked me to my car. I was mortified, but they were so kind, even the store director. The next day I dropped off cupcakes for everyone and a thank-you note, and they couldn't have been sweeter.

I had an incident last year where I wasn't feeling well and actually FAINTED in the store. All of a sudden I was dizzy and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. Everyone was so kind to me, got me juice and candies and talked to my husband on the phone and my SA walked me to my car. I was mortified, but they were so kind, even the store director. The next day I dropped off cupcakes for everyone and a thank-you note, and they couldn't have been sweeter.

Of course, Juliet, I would have done the same whether it was Hermès or Zara.;);)

I was looking for this kind of info and was pointed to this thread, which has been most helpful! I've only known my H SA since August and was wondering what others do, especially at the holidays. He and I just had a conversation about cookies my family gets every year from this bakery in Brooklyn, and I always bring some back home with me so I think I will make sure to bring enough to share with the store when I return from the holidays.

As for SAs at other stores, I have an SA at Nordstrom who is really wonderful and goes out of her way to help me. A couple months before the holidays last year we happened to be talking about this mascara I had tried that she was really wanting to try also, so I got her that (from Nordstrom, so she could easily return it if she didn't want it). It happened very organically and it was under $20, so I felt comfortable with it. She was thrilled and still talks about it! I think it really just depends on your relationship with the person.

Thanks for the advice everyone!