"Erasing" pen marks on chevre - not for the faint hearted!

Thanks for this useful info!
Agree that the key to ballpoint pen is getting to it fast...
I have had success with a "lipstick remover" that came with a Guardsman Leather Care kit (purchased off eBay several years ago) and used it with a Q-tip on a rouge vif clemence bag with excellent results...I also use it on light colored leather chairs (a poor choice; prior to having kids)

^ It's not gone bad as such, just curdled which is the curds separating from the whey or something like that - maybe we should get back to H after all this is a purse forum not a dairy or bakery forum :roflmfao:

Ok. I discovered a pen mark on the side of my fuschia chevre birkin more than a week ago. Showed it to my SA who told me that it can be easily refurbished. So, no worries. I figure, I'll wait a year or two (the bag is less than 2 months old) and bring it to Claude in NY for cleaning.

Then, on Friday as I was driving home, I found a long (about 3-4 cms) dark mark on the flap. Whoa! Where did that come from? I rubbed it with my fingers, damp towel but no dice - nothing happened! (Imagine how distracting it was, having just discovered the dark mark and driving with the bag in question on the passenger seat!)

When I got home, I decided to "experiment" and took one of those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (the white sponge). :idea: Put a teeny bit of water on one corner and started rubbing. I used the damp side and then the dry side to erase and voila - the PEN MARKS were gone!!!

I felt the areas where I "erased" and though it felt a little "matty" I figure with time and use and the natural oils from my hands will make it shiny again.

It was risky and is not meant for the faint hearted. But I clean my own bags often using Meltonian or Saphir creme and when I have accidents - like that one time I inadvertently swabbed navy blue creme on the linen portion of an H bag (OOOPS!) - I just bring them to Claude clean up after my mess! Bag came back like NEW! ;) (Whew!)

Am not sure the magic eraser will work on box but am sure that since it worked on chevre, it will work on togo or clemance. Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't have actual experience to report on these leathers.... (knock on wood...)

P.S. And I didn't remember to take photos of before and after (I should have) to show you the results.

whew! allaboutbags, got really stressed with the first paragraph! :sweatdrop:But glad for your discovery! :tup:

:heart:M

I know this is really random, but you can get curds artificially by heating milk, putting in a bit of yogurt and a couple of drops of fresh lime juice :smile:

I think if you put a little bit of vinegar in it should turn it - that's what you use to make curdled milk for scones.

You just made home-made ricotta too!! Reduce some balsamic vinegar to a syrup, drizzle over.....:cloud9:

Sorry, never stays around long enough to lift stains, just spirits!!!!