Engagement ring help - Cartier?

swisshera

SwissHera
O.G.
Aug 2, 2010
My BF-wannabe-DH asked me to "pick a ring, NOW" and like all other ladies out here, I was thinking to go with either Tiffany or Cartier. I was browsing and finally came down to 2 candidates from Cartier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I love the simple classic Solitaire but he thinks why Cartier if Tiffany, De Beers, Harry Winston and even on the street have everything that look just like that, probably in better stone for the slight cheaper.

and I agree with him, I love the Ballerine too but it makes the stone looks much smaller. I am so confused.

He actually love the Acanthe from Van Cleef and tried to talk me into it, but I don't like it enough. :sad:

Attachments

• 1895.jpg
    1895.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 17,464
  • Ballerine.jpg
    Ballerine.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 17,281
Have you walked into stores and tried on rings? Photos never do bridal rings justice.

De Beers, and especially Harry Winston, definitely focus more on the quality of the diamonds themselves than the bridal ring designs.

If you want a solitaire, you definitely will get a bigger and higher quality stone from someone other than Cartier or other places where you "pay for the name".

Don't "settle" though. You should KNOW when you try on YOUR ring. ;)

I think the ballerine is a very special and unique design, so you might consider that if you really want a Cartier ring. You might also consider visiting a jeweler to find a well cut stone with a simple solitaire setting since that seems to be what you prefer. It will be A LOT less, not just slightly cheaper, for a similar or better stone. Or you can always add on size. :graucho:

and like all other ladies out here, I was thinking to go with either Tiffany or Cartier

That's actually not true, I think the majority of the women on this forum have (and covet) rings that are not Tiffany, Cartier, HW or VCA. Take a few minutes to do a search and you'll find many threads on the subject.

Yes, I went to ALL the stores, spent 3 hours at Cartier to just try on those 2 rings in different ct, then my second favorite is actually De Beers, I bought another ring from them before and they really know how to cut their stone. I would just delete HW because the SA just wasn't friendly (or is it NYC)? and Tiffany is like a younger dream of mine.

Cartier ordered both 1895 and Ballerine in around 1-ish ct for me to try on again next Monday - and I feel like I need to decide soon before I go crazy harassing people about it.

I was engaged a few years ago, and my ex got me a really good and big diamonds. I love it, it is like the simple solitaire and it is shiny like everyone in the trian would just see it. I had a second thought and hoped it would be nice if it is branded, because I really really needed some after sale service (like have it cleaned, fix this and that..) and being asian isn't going to help neither...

my DH understands so he doesn't say anything and just told me to pick whatever. He even bought a stone for me already but he said it is cool if i just pick one as well..that's why I am just unsure.

A lifetime of repairs isn't going to equal the price difference, I'm afraid...even if you go white gold and have it rhodium finished constantly.

And any trustworthy jeweler can repair (fix prongs, retip prongs, size up or down, polish scratches) most anything, especially a solitaire. It's only when you get into fancy micropave and invisible settings that people want to have sized up and down that it gets tricky.

Cleaning is free at 99.99% of jewelry stores...pop it in the ultrasonic, let it sit, brush it, let it sit some more, then rinse and steam. :smile: I'd usually offer a free polish for plain yellow gold and platinum rings too.

Have you seen the diamond your guy has already picked out especially for you?

A lifetime of repairs isn't going to equal the price difference, I'm afraid...even if you go white gold and have it rhodium finished constantly.

And any trustworthy jeweler can repair (fix prongs, retip prongs, size up or down, polish scratches) most anything, especially a solitaire. It's only when you get into fancy micropave and invisible settings that people want to have sized up and down that it gets tricky.

Cleaning is free at 99.99% of jewelry stores...pop it in the ultrasonic, let it sit, brush it, let it sit some more, then rinse and steam. :smile: I'd usually offer a free polish for plain yellow gold and platinum rings too.

Have you seen the diamond your guy has already picked out especially for you?

Em I honestly haven't. The stone is in Hong Kong and I am in New York now, he bought it at a trade show. I didn't know he got me a 1.5 and I told him this is way too big for my finger since that's what I had before for my first engagement. I asked him to get a smaller one for me and he said the trade show will be a few months away and he wants me to have things that I would love and adore. For anything below 1.5 ct, the price isn't going to be completely cheaper or not. We went to a wholeseller yesterday and looked at some stones as well by the Diamond district. Beautiful beautiful stones indeed. But for a few thousand dollars difference, he said we would better just do it at the branded for a small premium.

Reactions: rubytues2
Since your previous engagement ring was a simple solitaire, I'd go ballerine! And especially since its same size. I wouldnt want people thinking it was same ring. Trivial i know but people do talk and it would personally bother me and my fiance to have that taken away from him. Pay the premium but get the recognition that it is what it is.

Like someone else said, dont worry about after purchase maintenance, almost all Jewelers will be more than happy to do it and establish a relationship with you. I bought my ring from a place in new york and got my wedding bands locally. The local jeweler has no problem doing the work for all my rings for me. And just like Ame, none of the big ready set jewelery brands had styles I couldn't live without (thankfully! Haha). I was more "meh" when I tried what they had on. So don't feel limited by the brand!

Simple is normally good. But in this case, the 1895 is really, really simple. And everyone has done this style. The Ballerine is more special. Good luck with your decision. What an exciting time!

I personally wouldn't choose a branded stone/ring but this isn't about me! She wants a branded ring/stone so let's stop trying to dissuade her!
Do you want to wear a band w/ it after the wedding?

I personally wouldn't choose a branded stone/ring but this isn't about me! She wants a branded ring/stone so let's stop trying to dissuade her!
Do you want to wear a band w/ it after the wedding?

Well said!!

My best piece of advice is to try the different styles on. I was unclear about a few rings at tiffany's and several tpf'ers suggested trying them all on to help with my decision. This was great advice, it worked and I know right away which style to pick.

Good luck with your search!!

Which one you like more?? You need to love it and it doesn't seem like your crazy about either. Keep trying them on until you find one that you know you love, I wouldn't get one right away if you aren't sure.