Engagement Ring: Budget $10K-ish. Tiffany or not to Tiffany?

I second this.

diamondtalk.com was HUGE when me and my now husband were shopping for rings.
I met an awesome jeweler who found my diamond and designed my ring. I am in NY and he is in Memphis. We did everything via e-mail. My ring was PERFECT and my diamond was well below what Fortunoff wanted to charge me for the same thing (I have a branded Royal Asscher)

He was with me through the whole process and 5 years later, I still e-mail him if I have jewelry questions. The forum is made up of jewelers and jewelry fans alike and all are willing and happy to help you in this big investment.

Also, FYI, bluenile.com is NOT looked upon favorably by the overwhelming majority of the people there.

Good luck!

YEA!!! another diamondtalk.com fan! it's a WONDERFUL site.

and bluenile, to me, is NOWHERE near as good.

JMHO.

If it were me....

A tiffany ring would be a very memorable ring for an engagement.....or...a beautiful and very different ring that you designed yourself would be the next best thing.

If it was for any other occassion, I would recommend other makers, since tiffany isnt always a smart move...but for such an occassion, it would be divine because it would be that much more memorable.

Your so sweet to ask our opinion on this subject....she is a lucky girl. Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!

herm would it be bad of me to say that maybe its not about the stone only but also the setting? that and some ppl take prestige and years of fantastic workmanship (that calls for fame) over the size of the rock?

I agree with alot of the other posters on buying from a less known seller and you can still get great quality. I have seen some great manufacturers online with some top quality items. Try Sunjewelry or United Diamonds websites.

I think the fact that you're putting so much thought into it and asking for advice will mean more to her that whatever ring you wind up getting. Knowing my husband did months of research and painstakingly designed a ring for me meant more to me than the actual ring! (Which is stunning by the way!) I agree that Tiffany's would not be the way to go. Gigantic markup. If you do your homework, you'll know what to look for. I would recommend that no matter where you get the stone, have it appraised somewhere else that's not affiliated with the store you get it from, then compare certificates. Also, buy a loose stone and then have it set. Any reputable jeweler will allow you a couple days at least to get the stone appraised. When designing my wedding ring, my husband bought a stone that turned out to be much worse than was claimed, and when we took it back to the jeweler, not only did they refund us the money, but also gave us the amount for the appraisal! Good luck with your proposal! She's one lucky girl!

I'm actually hoping my boyfriend has an empty ring box so that I can choose my ring. After all, I'm going to be the one wearing it!

Other than that, I see no point in paying for a Tiffany ring but at the same time, I'm a hypocrite because I really like Na Hoku rings (Hawaiian style) even though they're probably just as expensive.

One idea though: Find a private Indian jeweler in your area where you may be able to haggle prices. Indians tend to wear no less than 18k gold and most of their jewelry, if not all, is very good quality. You can probably get something more valuable and more beautiful at one of these stores than from Tiffany, Blue Nile, or any other pricey location for less money.

I second diamondtalk.com! I love that site, and learned everything I know about diamonds from diamondtalk. I purchased my verragio platinum setting and AGS certified round stone from www.dbof.com. Jan and Brad are awesome. You should also try www.goodolegold. Jonathan is amazing and his site is informative. I know Jan and Brad offer 100% upgrade if you ever want to buy a larger diamond.

pls go to diamondtalk.com. it's such a wonderful forum with great/honest vendors and nonvendors just like you and me.

Tiffany's diamonds are BEAUTIFUL, but if you do your homework (as i think you should) you can get a lot of bang for your buck--

GL!

I would not suggest the internet, except for education. As a woman, I personally would not want my engagement ring ordered online. However, I would talk to reputable diamond dealers in your area. Also, I believe that sometimes you can get your own stone set in a designers band, so if she really was hoping for a tiffany you could maybe do that, i'm not sure if they can but i know some jewelers do. Personally, I'd prefer the best cut, color, clarity that I could get, which might not necessarily be Tiffany as they have a very high markup.

I would not suggest the internet, except for education. As a woman, I personally would not want my engagement ring ordered online. However, I would talk to reputable diamond dealers in your area. Also, I believe that sometimes you can get your own stone set in a designers band, so if she really was hoping for a tiffany you could maybe do that, i'm not sure if they can but i know some jewelers do. Personally, I'd prefer the best cut, color, clarity that I could get, which might not necessarily be Tiffany as they have a very high markup.

Believe it or not, buying diamonds over the net is getting more and more mainstream. Even if you are not ordering your stone online, that doesnt mean your diamond dealer isnt. Ideally, you can still have a relationship with the person selling over the net. Many sites do provide efficient & personal advice and customised searching for your criteria. At the end of the day, this will be the way to achieve the best of the c`s for your money. imo

I would not go w/ Tiffany's. I think you are paying a lot just for their name & the blue box.

Search local jewelers & if you are near any major cities they should have diamond districts.

Look around, ask lots of questions, compare, compare, compare!

Good luck!

One idea though: Find a private Indian jeweler in your area where you may be able to haggle prices. Indians tend to wear no less than 18k gold and most of their jewelry, if not all, is very good quality. You can probably get something more valuable and more beautiful at one of these stores than from Tiffany, Blue Nile, or any other pricey location for less money.

I'm Indian and should warn anyone thinking of doing this that while it's a great suggestion, a) be prepared to do some heavy negotiating and b) Indian gold might be too soft to hold up for the long-term. The rings I've had are on the softer side, since the purer the gold, the softer the piece, and so the shape has definitely changed. Also be careful that the jeweler is GIA certified and that you get an accurate report detailing what you're buying. Not all do that and also find a jeweler that has an adequate selection. Most tend to do a trade in bridal jewelry/jewelry sets in pure 22K gold, and their gemstone selection may or may not be as large as you're expecting an American jewelry store's to be.

You're definitely buying a one-of-a-kind piece with Indian jewelry, and most certainly a beautiful one, but shop around at several Indian jewelers and make sure they don't try to overcharge you.

If you ARE in Texas, check out www.whiteflash.com (or make an appointment to see someone in person). They're a Pricescope favorite, and their "A Cut Above" diamonds are amazing!

I wanted a Tiffany engagement ring until I discovered Pricescope and AGS0 ideal diamonds. I'm so happy that my boyfriend and I did research before going to Tiffany to purchase a ring. We paid a premium for our stone because it was AGS ideal, but I'd rather pay for an ideal cut diamond than a blue box!