Engagement Ring: Budget $10K-ish. Tiffany or not to Tiffany?

I'd also see if there are any wholesalers in your area. They will be able to give you better prices than retail stores.

For $10K, you can get a lot more ring somewhere else. Tiffany is great, and they do have beautiful stones, but you can get a stone just as beautiful in other places.

Check out
www.pricescope.com

This is a great consumer site - such a wealth of information and forums
used by the public (and jewelers) and guys going through exactly the same thing- do check out their forums.

I second this.....the posters there are mega passionate about diamonds and settings. It is the best mix of consumer and professional input that I have seen.

A good supplier of beautiful settings (custom and standard) and diamonds is Whiteflash who are on the pricescope site.

Definately worth a visit!!!

Tiffany`s is very restrictive because you can only choose from a few settings that they carry. imo

Also, the idealscope is a handy tool to help you eliminate the poor cut diamonds. Often a good supplier will give you an idealscope picture of the diamond in question.

10K is not a small sum. U can def get a bigger stone around 1 carat elsewhere easily.

But... its not abt value for money. Ultimately its buying something she will like. For eg, 2K u can buy enough leather to make a living room sofa set but only a small suhali leather bag from LV, and many girls would rather get the LV bag, get the drift?

If she likes Tiffany, and she is always going to their stores, or has stuffs from Tiffany, then I think the answer is clear.

In addition, I rem u can upgrade the diamond in Tiffany in the future. Their diamonds are also conflict free. And well.... bragging rights lol. Just my 2 cents.

Just for reference, we were looking last weekend... just out of convenience, not because we were going to buy there... you can't even get a carat for $10k, at least out of what we saw (mostly rings in the F-G, VVS2). I'd definitely go non-Tiffany for this route, unless to your girl the name is more important and she wants a smaller stone. Most people won't be telling where the ring was bought, so most people will never even know if it is from T&co or not.

As mentioned, they do have the one time upgrade policy, but lots of stores have an upgrade policy, so I'd look around before making a final decision.

I'm a bit biased, but I :heart: Tiffany's rings and that's what I got. For me, it was the whole experience, the blue box, the shopping... I loved it. I love my ring and eternity band from there even after 3.5 years.

That being said, I think your budget is a bit low for Tiffany. As PP mentioned, $10K will not be able to even get 1 carat, and for me personally, size, cut and clarity matter as well. Although I normally would go with the Tiffany ring, in this case, I would consider elsewhere just simply so you can get decent specs and still go over a carat.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for so many replies. It sounds like a lot of you recommend bluenile, and if 10K is my budget Tiffany wouldn't be too good of a choice.

Thanks - I'll definitely look into those alternatives.

Tony

I say get the biggest bang for your buck - which you won't get at T & co.
I also disagree about Bluenile. I would go to a jewelry district or store if you can & see the diamonds in person. Sometimes a fabulous SI1 can look exactly the same as the more expensive VS1 - it all depends.

My stone is a round G SI1 in a custom setting - you can not see any inlusions in this stone - I've been looking for years! I have had many compliments on it - from actual jewelers. You would never know it had any inclusions as they are not visible despite it's SI1 grading. I have a written appraisal for more than double what my husb paid so he got a good deal. My advice is see it in person. I don't believe in paying more for something that doesn't appear to be any better. Unless you tell me your ring is VVS1 I couldn't tell the diff between that & my own & neither can a jeweler unless they use a loupe.

My friend and I recently went into Tiffany's to look at engagement rings. They were beautiful. However for the price, the diamond was kind of tiny. I think if you shopped around you could get a larger just as good diamond with an equally pretty type of setting for the same amount.

I say get the biggest bang for your buck - which you won't get at T & co.
I also disagree about Bluenile. I would go to a jewelry district or store if you can & see the diamonds in person. Sometimes a fabulous SI1 can look exactly the same as the more expensive VS1 - it all depends.

My stone is a round G SI1 in a custom setting - you can not see any inlusions in this stone - I've been looking for years! I have had many compliments on it - from actual jewelers. You would never know it had any inclusions as they are not visible despite it's SI1 grading. I have a written appraisal for more than double what my husb paid so he got a good deal. My advice is see it in person. I don't believe in paying more for something that doesn't appear to be any better. Unless you tell me your ring is VVS1 I couldn't tell the diff between that & my own & neither can a jeweler unless they use a loupe.

Well you got what the industry knows is one of the best deals, an eye clean SI1...thus giving you more budget left over to put towards color, cut and carat!!!!

But, a word of caution.....dont judge a diamond by how it looks in a jewellery shop. Im being serious, the lighting in a jewellery shopp is designed to make frozen spit look sparking! LOL. Almost all diamonds look fantastic in a jewellery shop, as they have special spot lighting. In real life you are not going to see your diamond under spot lighting.

Also, sites like BN and Whiteflash give you a return period, so you do get to see before buying.

With Whiteflash, you can talk to the owner and he will search for a diamond to meet your budget and requirements. I have only read rave reviews about white flash.

pls go to diamondtalk.com. it's such a wonderful forum with great/honest vendors and nonvendors just like you and me.

Tiffany's diamonds are BEAUTIFUL, but if you do your homework (as i think you should) you can get a lot of bang for your buck--

GL!
I second this.

diamondtalk.com was HUGE when me and my now husband were shopping for rings.
I met an awesome jeweler who found my diamond and designed my ring. I am in NY and he is in Memphis. We did everything via e-mail. My ring was PERFECT and my diamond was well below what Fortunoff wanted to charge me for the same thing (I have a branded Royal Asscher)

He was with me through the whole process and 5 years later, I still e-mail him if I have jewelry questions. The forum is made up of jewelers and jewelry fans alike and all are willing and happy to help you in this big investment.

Also, FYI, bluenile.com is NOT looked upon favorably by the overwhelming majority of the people there.

Good luck!