eLady - Duties to US?

Ryan

O.G.
Feb 8, 2006
I've purchased about 4 times from eLady and have been pleased every time - items better than described, arrived quickly, and no duties required.

Last week I purchased a (very) vintage Celine clutch for $61 USD. Today I got a notice in the mailbox that I have to pick up the package at the post office - and pay $191.50! That figure just doesn't seem right to me. More than three times the purchase price?

Does anyone have experience with the USPS making a mistake (yes, yes I know there's a joke here) about the amount of duties required?

I'm going to head to the post office tomorrow but want to be prepared.

Thank you!

Ryan

I've purchased about 4 times from eLady and have been pleased every time - items better than described, arrived quickly, and no duties required.

Last week I purchased a (very) vintage Celine clutch for $61 USD. Today I got a notice in the mailbox that I have to pick up the package at the post office - and pay $191.50! That figure just doesn't seem right to me. More than three times the purchase price?

Does anyone have experience with the USPS making a mistake (yes, yes I know there's a joke here) about the amount of duties required?

Thank you!

Ryan
Not supposed to have 'duties' for items under $800USD. I would refuse the package, were it me.

Thank you!

Ryan
@Ryan how did this turn out?

@Ryan how did this turn out?

Customs assessed the package at a value of $2000 and charged duties based on that figure. Not sure how they arrived at that value as the packing slip (correctly) noted the value as the $61 I paid.

Options were to refuse the package or pay the duties and then dispute by mail (options the post office didn't know and couldn't explain to me - only found out after I gave up and paid).

I'm hoping the dispute process will be easy - I have the receipt that says I paid $61, the customs forms from the seller that state I paid $61, etc. as far I can tell customs saw that shipping was valued at 2300 yen and got confused about the value of the package. Who knows - not sure i'll ever know.

Will make sure to report back with updates!

Ryan

Reactions: indiaink
Just wanting to update @indiaink and everyone else - got a letter from Customs today (in response to my dispute) that "based on the invoice you provided a full refund has been approved" and to expect to receive a check within 90 days (!!).

They also said I won't get refunded for the $6 postal fee they charged.

Annoyed that I had to deal with this (and lose $6 because of their mistake!) but at least I'm getting my money back. Eventually. That I never should have had to pay in the first place.

Voila!

Ryan

Just wanting to update @indiaink and everyone else - got a letter from Customs today (in response to my dispute) that "based on the invoice you provided a full refund has been approved" and to expect to receive a check within 90 days (!!).

They also said I won't get refunded for the $6 postal fee they charged.

Annoyed that I had to deal with this (and lose $6 because of their mistake!) but at least I'm getting my money back. Eventually. That I never should have had to pay in the first place.

Voila!

Ryan
Congratulations! Thanks for the update.