Ebay Transaction- Sellers Rights

PrincessKGD

Apr 11, 2009
I sold a designer purse on ebay that I received as a gift. Because it was a gift and because well versed in purse authenticity, I was very careful in my listing with stating whether the purse was authentic or not (since I wasn't 100% sure). I did believe the purse to be genuine (as an FYI).

A few days later, I have the buyer threatening to get me thrown in jail for sending her a fake purse. In addition, she wants a refund of her money. I explained to her that I never stated the purse was authentic or that it was not. She has since opened a dispute with paypal. She either wants to keep the bag and have me refund her all but $45 OR send her a full refund.

What should I do? Does the buyer always win in these cases? I also worry that she might send me back another purse (which truly is conterfit) and keep mine.

This is a huge nightmare.

KG

Do you still have pictures of the bag?
Maybe you could post on the authentication thread for the brand it is, to work out if it's real or not and then go from there.
I think that's the main question that needs addressing first.

Welcome to the forum!

What was the brand you sold? Usually when a handbag listed as a gift means a big NO No, but of course we saw exceptions. As the above said, please post to the authentication subforum of that specific brand and have the experts to help you.

I have to suggest that you post photos of the bag in the proper AUTH THIS thread and make a determination as to the bag's authenticity. You cannot post a link to your own ebay auction, however, you can post photos of the bag.
As the seller, it was your responsibility to determine the bag's authenticity, IMO. If the bag has the name and/or logo of a designer, or you even used the name of a designer in your auction, the you were representing the bag to be "that brand".
You now need to determine if you have indeed sold a fake or not. What BRAND was the bag, and we can direct you as to where to post your photos.

Listing/selling counterfeit goods, which includes fake designer bags, is against fBay rules (and against the law), so whether the seller claims the bag is authentic or not is irrelevant. I agree with the others that the first step is to post photos of the bag to determined if it's authentic or not.

Hello,
Great advice already. Another point about "what should I do?" is, if you plan to sell in the future, be sure you are selling authentic goods only. It's not a matter of maybe/maybe not; it's a matter of doing something illegal and fraudulent if you sell counterfeits. I'm not suggesting that took place this time (no one here has a basis to tell, unless and until you show the bag for authentication), just a comment about what a seller's responsibilities are, not only the rights.

Click here http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/announcement-authenticate-this.html
then, click on the subforum according to which designer bag you sold then, post the pictures of the bag you sold to see wheather or not it is authentic.

I also agree with others. It is illegal and against ebay's policy to sell counterfeit merchandise so, if indeed the bag you sold is fake then, yes, you will have to refund your buyer in full. If the bag is authentic then, you can fight it.

Regardless of what you stated in your auction, if the bag is fake you must refund.
As others have suggested post the pics from your auction in the authentication thread to see.

Selling a fake is illegal. I am assuming that your title said "LV Damier Speedy" or "Coach Lily Satchel" and was listed as such. Your first sentence gives it away as you stated "I sold a designer purse on eBay". If you are unsure about authenticity don't sell it on eBay as a designer bag.

Now, there is always the possibility it was real and the buyer is mistaken, but since you are unsure you should give a full refund if it is not authentic.

Regardless of what you stated in your auction, if the bag is fake you must refund.
As others have suggested post the pics from your auction in the authentication thread to see.

Selling a fake is illegal. I am assuming that your title said "LV Damier Speedy" or "Coach Lily Satchel" and was listed as such. Your first sentence gives it away as you stated "I sold a designer purse on eBay". If you are unsure about authenticity don't sell it on eBay as a designer bag.

Now, there is always the possibility it was real and the buyer is mistaken, but since you are unsure you should give a full refund if it is not authentic.

***While you are not required to, in good faith you should also reimburse the buyer for return postage. There is no reason they should be out money if the bag is fake.

I reread again. No, they can't keep the bag and have a partial refund of everything except $45. Since she has already filed with Paypal if they find in her favor (which they likely will since they seem to always side with the buyer on SNAD fake or not) then she would have to mail you back the bag before they gave her the refund.

Again, post pics in the appropriate thread ASAP.

As an advice for the future..it is your responsibility to be 100% sure your bag is auth. gift or not. Since selling fakes is Illegal..It would be just like sharing a white dust with my friends and telling them I am not sure if it's flour or cocaine.. Ok too much of an exaggeration but its to make the point that we are responsible of what we sell, it's a lesson. Now even if your bag is real you can't defend it b/c you don't have it in your posession but I agree with the others idea of posting photos in the auth thread.
sorry that this happened to you..at least you didn't pay a lof of money for the bag ...