Ebay sellers with an ebay shop must now display their contact details.....

BagAngel

Louis Vuitton Addict
O.G.
Oct 30, 2006

E-commerce regulations clearly state that businesses must provide the geographic address at which their business is established. Members who are operating as businesses on eBay.co.uk need to comply with this law. eBay provides business registration functionality to help sellers easily display their business details directly on the View Item page.
A number of sellers have voiced security concerns with displaying their address on the View Item page. To mitigate this, we are extending the list of permissible locations for a business to provide their contact details.
Sellers operating as a business on eBay.co.uk must clearly display their business name and geographic address in at least one of the following locations:
1. On the View Item page – in the Business Seller Information section
2. On a user’s About Me page
3. On a Shop’s custom page that is no more than one click from their main Shop page.
Please note:
1. PO Box addresses are not considered to be geographic addresses, and will not be accepted as a valid business address.
2. Businesses choosing to display their name and address on the View Item page must display that information in the Business Seller Information section. Displaying the name and address in the item description only is insufficient.

There is no way I would put all my details on there with all the freaks & scammers, when my listings run out I will be closing my store. Such a shame as you can list there for one month instead of the exhoribant list fees for the shorter auction listings

Thanks for posting this information. Wow, I am thinking are we (US) next? I can imagine this will not go well for most private users. Who in their right mind is going to post their residence address for the whole world to see. If you are a private individual selling your collection of whatever valuable stuff you have, you will make for an easy target for robbers and what not.

The whole point also of selling online is the ability to sell at a low price without having to rent out a physical location and pay for all the extras that go along with that expense.

What is up with not being able to use a PO Box? I know of many legit businesses that do use a PO Box address as their address, in fact almost all of my crefit card payments go to a PO box address, imagine that. I truly do not understand how having a PO box disqualifies the legitimacy of a biz.

^^^^^

I don't think it applies to private sellers but am assuming that it does to me as I have an ebay store.

Aw ebay is just getting too much of a hassle, I certainly do not want my name, address & telephone number on ebay, no way!

^^^^^^

I honestly don't know about the US sorry

No I meant that a private seller is one who is not registered as a business seller.

Not allowing private feedback is one of ebays better ideas!

Oh how I wish someone would set up a decent auction site.

I was asking my son today who has a degree in Computing, Multimedia & Design how hard would it be? I really would try it but he said it would be a mega operation :sad:

What is up with not being able to use a PO Box? I know of many legit businesses that do use a PO Box address as their address, in fact almost all of my crefit card payments go to a PO box address, imagine that. I truly do not understand how having a PO box disqualifies the legitimacy of a biz.

I don't understand that either?? I have P.O. box, not by choice but because I live out in the country and the P.O. doesn't deliver mail to my home. If I put a mailbox up at the main road (wich is almost a mile away) they will but I don't find that safe as anyone driving down the highway could grab my mail.

I think this is just a UK directive (the 2002 E Commerce directive); not sure why they waited five years to enforce it. Doubt they would put it in place in the US unless legally required to.

Summary of the UK EC directive below from http://www.out-law.com/page-431 See bullet 3.

Minimum information to be provided
Service providers, whether involved in e-commerce or not, should provide the following minimum information, which must be easily, directly and permanently accessible:
  • The name of the service provider must be given somewhere easily accessible on the site. This might differ from the trading name and any such difference should be explained – e.g. "XYZ.com is the trading name of XYZ Enterprises Limited."
  • The email address of the service provider must be given. It is not sufficient to include a 'contact us' form without also providing an email address.
  • The geographic address of the service provider must be given. A PO Box is unlikely to suffice as a geographic address; but a registered office address would. If the business is a company, the registered office address must be included in any event.
  • If a company, the company's registration number should also be given.
  • If a company, the place of registration should be stated (e.g. "XYZ Enterprises Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1234567") though this is a requirement of the Companies Act as from 31st December 2006, not the E-commerce Directive.
  • If the business is a member of a trade or professional association, membership details, including any registration number, should be provided.
  • If the business has a VAT number, it should be stated – even if the website is not being used for e-commerce transactions.
  • Prices on the website must be clear and unambiguous. Also, state whether prices are inclusive of tax and delivery costs.
  • Finally, do not forget the Distance Selling Regulations which contain other information requirements for on-line businesses that sell to consumers (B2C, as opposed to B2B, sales). For details of these requirements, see our article, The Distance Selling Regulations - An Overview.