Ebay Sellers Required to Provide SS#

Conni618

Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
Just a heads up. Found out this morning that Ebay’s Managed Payment system will not pass on proceeds unless i give them my Social Security number. At least the last four digits along with birthdate. Apparently they need to pass sales information to the IRS for anything over $600.

I don’t mind paying taxes, but I do, very much mind, giving Ebay this information.

I had a hassle with Managed Payments a few months ago where they suddenly stopped disbursing to the very same account I've always used unless I did X, Y, and then danced the tarantella. A bunch of hurdles that seemed pointless to me, but it didn't involve SSN. The explanation then, whether true to not, was they were under pressure (new pressure?) bc of money laundering requirements. Maybe this is the next phase.

It Sounds like they are slowly ramping this new demand up gradually. My account was idle after years of flawless feedback etc., so I believe I am being treated as a “new” seller. Perhaps it will take quite a while before they go after active accounts.

Reactions: jellyv
Hi Conni…. I sure do miss you. Of course it’s me that’s been away. But I agree I don’t like giving any part of my Social Security number away. There’s usually a way around this but that would definitely be a dealbreaker if there wasn’t a way around it. Just today I got a new dentist and they wanted my Social Security number to check if I had Delta dental and so I found my Delta dental card and gave him that number and it worked. I wonder if you could give them your tax ID number. There’s a second number if you have a small business or something. Someone on here will know.

Hi Beautiful!
I’ve been MIA on and off for the past year or so too. Love seeing you here! :drinks:
I’m pretty sure my tax ID# is just my social, since no real business. I will definitely check for a way around this though. Otherwise this may be the straw that broke the camel’s back where Ebay is concerned.

Hi Beautiful!
I’ve been MIA on and off for the past year or so too. Love seeing you here! :drinks:
I’m pretty sure my tax ID# is just my social, since no real business. I will definitely check for a way around this though. Otherwise this may be the straw that broke the camel’s back where Ebay is concerned.

I had a really bad experience the first time I tried to sell something and I haven’t been on eBay for very very long time. I do not miss it.
but I really miss when we were all searching for the oldies and growing our collections and our friendships here. And you were at the top of my list and are still
❌⭕️ Beautiful you

I miss those days too! Nothing was more fun than searching for the impossible bag, unless it was doing it along with great company! :hugs:

I'm sorry about that first bad experience you had, but all's well that ends well!

This is my last posting on the Ebay SS# issue. Please be forewarned to stop selling on Ebay unless you are willing to put your Social Security ID on file with them.

Just got off the phone with the as usual, "sweet-as-could-be Ebay agent." Apparently there is no minimum selling limit before the demand for your SS# is made. The intention is that all sellers will be made to comply by the end of this year.

As for when that will happen for each seller, judging by my recent experience, the demand kicks in once a sale has gone through and funds are waiting to be disbursed. At that point Ebay holds on to your proceeds until you comply.

I think there is no way to get around it, it's not ebay's fault it's the government wants tax money to pay for things they couldn't get enough money for, I wouldn't mind paying tax but they don't play fair, the rich find ways to avoid of paying tax, the poor don't pay tax, the people who work hard not poor enough not rich enough ends up have to pay for everything.

I think there is no way to get around it, it's not ebay's fault it's the government wants tax money to pay for things they couldn't get enough money for, I wouldn't mind paying tax but they don't play fair, the rich find ways to avoid of paying tax, the poor don't pay tax, the people who work hard not poor enough not rich enough ends up have to pay for everything.

SO. [email protected]. Where else will they get their $$? From hard working people who already pay MORE than enough in taxes. Its ridiculous.

Reactions: onlyk
Many people complain about the various fraudulent sellers on the site, so are you really so opposed to ways to identify and track them?

I haven't sold there since the early '00s and don't know if I ever will again, but this is just one of many things sellers and small business in general are facing. A TIN or EIN should work, but there are rules as to who can get and use them.

Isn't Amazon even more restrictive? What about other sites like Etsy and Bonanza?

Many people complain about the various fraudulent sellers on the site, so are you really so opposed to ways to identify and track them?

I haven't sold there since the early '00s and don't know if I ever will again, but this is just one of many things sellers and small business in general are facing. A TIN or EIN should work, but there are rules as to who can get and use them.

Isn't Amazon even more restrictive? What about other sites like Etsy and Bonanza?
It's not the sites that are requiring this information. It's the various states and the IRS that need SS numbers or TINs in order to be able to collect taxes that have been circumvented for years. And in order for the states and the IRS to verify income, they need the numbers.

Just a heads up. Found out this morning that Ebay’s Managed Payment system will not pass on proceeds unless i give them my Social Security number. At least the last four digits along with birthdate. Apparently they need to pass sales information to the IRS for anything over $600.

I don’t mind paying taxes, but I do, very much mind, giving Ebay this information.
I just made my first sale on ebay....after shipping I went into account to see tracking and I saw a message saying my funds are on hold until I complete my profile...went to profile and it wants TIN or SS number. I hate giving out my SS number but if I don't provide it I guess I'm out my $100. I called and the overseas rep said there is no option. I guess I could give the number and then close my account. not sure if that number would still be out there though. Had I known about this I would have listed on Posh.
Any advice?
Does ebay have an option like Poshmark to use the proceeds as credit to purchase other items?
Uugh