Ebay rant

hmmsamantha

Aug 13, 2014
Hey guys! this is my first post and i'd like to rant about this ebay seller: staplefind.
I recently brought a rebecca minkoff hudson moto off this seller who described the post as New without tags.

About 1-2 week after purchasing the bag and putting it to use, the strap broke off! I only carry my wallet, a small bottle of pills, and my phone. It's not like I overstuff the bag, so there should be no reason for it to break like that. I contacted the seller and they offered to replace the bag with a another one they had in stock. Well fast forward to about a week later the bag came, but it suspiciously looked like the orginal bag. Upon closer inspection of where the strap fell off, there were small indents in the clasp that held the bag together. I contacted the seller asking for proof of purchase so I can send the bag in for repairs, but the seller IGNORED my request. I emailed them again asking for them to reply, and the seller simply said they did not see my email.

well then this week the strap broke off again, which confirmed my suspicions that it was glued back on. I checked the buyers feedback and another buyer left neutral feedback that the strap had broken off for the same style of bag! (RM Hudson moto)

Well anyways, I just wanted to warn any potiental buyers of staplefinds, I guess i'll learn from my mistakes. End rant.

In looking at the listing and pictures, since you know where the defect was, can you see evidence (when knowing what to look for) in the listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBECCA-MINKOFF-Hudson-Black-Leather-Moto-Crossbody-Bag-NEW-/331282744546?nma=true&si=ZC3y6cjgDRl2ZVnZNwV7iy45178%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

BTW, it looks like this seller buys store returns and it's possible (or probable) that the item was broken when she purchased it. But that does NOT excuse her from accurately and honestly describing her items.

In fact, it's my opinion that this type of inventory needs to be MORE closely inspected before being listed since this type of flaw might have been the reason for the original return.

OP I'm sorry you're going through this with this seller. That's really shady that they're selling items that they probably know have issues and are not disclosing.

You might do some research on the style of RM bag. If the seller is knowingly selling defective merchandise, that's one thing, but if it's a common problem with that style of bag, it's not really the eBay seller's fault.

^ Agreed. But I think if the buyer really just glued the strap on the original bag and tried to pass it off as a "replacement" then the buyer is not being honest.

TBH the Hudson Moto is likely not a very well crafted bag. I used to have TONS of RM bags have stopped buying them because the quality has declined so severely in the last few years. Further, RM has made a few major missteps with handle construction in the past. I'd consider the possibility that these bags just have weak straps in general when deciding on how to proceed.

Also, RM will not repair your bag unless it was purchased for full retail price at an authorized retailer. They won't even repair sale bags you purchase directly from the RM site so proof of purchase most likely won't do you any good with this bag.

That said, if the seller really did just "repair" the bag and send it back instead of replacing it I'd be really mad!

Because you've been using the bag I don't think you have any further recourse with the seller as far as eBay is concerned. I'd ask the seller to accept the return of the bag because it's defective. Don't threaten negative fb or swear as those things are against policy. If all else fails I'd take it to a professional leather worker and have them fix the handles for you.

Good luck!

Ebay is going downhill. So many fakes, defects, on that website too it's ridiculous. Best thing is to always look at feedback and make sure it specifically says "authentic" in the ad.

Ebay is going downhill. So many fakes, defects, on that website too it's ridiculous. Best thing is to always look at feedback and make sure it specifically says "authentic" in the ad.

The description saying "authentic" doesn't mean anything. Most of the counterfeiters say their bags are authentic. In fact, the more emphatic the declarations of authenticity I see in a listing the more suspicious I get ("1000% AUTHENTIC!" is my personal favorite).

eBay and PayPal (in addition to international and federal law and your credit cards) demand that an item be authentic for a sale to be legal. If the bag bears a brand's trademarks and it's not made by them it is illegal to sell regardless of whether the seller claims it's authentic or not.