eBay pulled my Item, saying that it was a fake

Thanks for all the help and stories! Of course Jenaywins there is margin for error because unless I buy it myself from a CL store, who knows? That not withstanding I do think they are real. noshoepolish, vero did take it down and now I am following the twelve commandments - thanks so much for the info. shinymagpie,Jaime - unfortunately I bought them myself without any authentication expert like caroldiva (nothing like that for CLs right?) or from a licensed reseller like netaporter, I have no "proof".

Also I found out something interesting for those who are interested. eBay provided an email address for responding to my case and DH did a search to whom it belongs. It belongs to a company in India that provides "services" to police auctions. They get paid to "watch" for stuff and get paid by eBay by instances they find. Therefore it is a possibility that the "watchers" have no real expertise (like you hit upon yakuzoku of why blatant fakes continue) but play a numbers game on hitting up small sellers.

Moon-I also noticed the lack of small red bag too but not all CLs even come with taps so think nothing of it. It is possible that the seller took it to add value to a more expensive pair but it would not affect the authenticity IMO

Anyways I am fighting back and will keep you posted.
Chloe

Hi. My point was that when I sell something, I pre-authenticate with a reputable service. Even if I am totally sure that it is authentic, I spend the small percentage on getting an independent opinion and mention this in my auctions.

This way, if there is ever a question mark, I can send off an independent expert opinion to back up my claim. Otherwise, it's just my word against the system.

Hi. My point was that when I sell something, I pre-authenticate with a reputable service. Even if I am totally sure that it is authentic, I spend the small percentage on getting an independent opinion and mention this in my auctions.

This way, if there is ever a question mark, I can send off an independent expert opinion to back up my claim. Otherwise, it's just my word against the system.

Totally agreed!!
I have my auction (all chanels) pre authenticated by Etinceler for the same reason, no 1 reason is for buyer peace of mind and the rest that have been said by shinymagpie.

Also I found out something interesting for those who are interested. eBay provided an email address for responding to my case and DH did a search to whom it belongs. It belongs to a company in India that provides "services" to police auctions. They get paid to "watch" for stuff and get paid by eBay by instances they find. Therefore it is a possibility that the "watchers" have no real expertise (like you hit upon yakuzoku of why blatant fakes continue) but play a numbers game on hitting up small sellers.

Moon-I also noticed the lack of small red bag too but not all CLs even come with taps so think nothing of it. It is possible that the seller took it to add value to a more expensive pair but it would not affect the authenticity IMO

Chloe

Agreed. Just noting that it could have been a novice who reported it based on the heel taps not being in the signature red mini duster as they normally would have been.

I mentioned this because I recently read a tPF thread where the seller/OP had four authentic pre-owned handbags confiscated by customs agents who didn't know their head from a hole in the ground when it came to authenticity of these particular items. She said they based their authenticity ruling on the mirrors and/or tassels not being included/attached to authentic items, which would make them fakes. They apparently never considered that the mirrors/tassels were missing from the pre-owned handbags because the original owners may have kept them or they were missing when the original owner purchased it. :noggin:

What you mentioned above about that company that looks at the auctions and gets paid for it - Wow! I hope it stops more fakes than it wastes authentic sellers' money. Otherwise, it is just one more reason to deter excellent sellers from using the bay to sell.

Totally agreed!!
I have my auction (all chanels) pre authenticated by Etinceler for the same reason, no 1 reason is for buyer peace of mind and the rest that have been said by shinymagpie.

I totally would do this and pay some money for this service, but I don't think CLs has a certified authenticator. I would love if they did, and use it. The closest I have seen is the board on this Purse Forum, but I don't think eBay wouldn't recognize it.
chloe

What you mentioned above about that company that looks at the auctions and gets paid for it - Wow! I hope it stops more fakes than it wastes authentic sellers' money. Otherwise, it is just one more reason to deter excellent sellers from using the bay to sell.

I completely agree - more likely though is they are people who wouldn't know a genuine Louboutin if it hit them on the head. eBay needs to have "something" to assure luxury goods companies that that they are doing policing the boards at all. And I have a feeling based on services "outsourced to India", (did you ever get a good result calling about a computer problem to someone who obviously is in India?) that there is a outdated catalog of Louboutins that don't really change as the designs of the shoes change and since they get paid by the case, they just hope that they get real fakes.

I completely agree - more likely though is they are people who wouldn't know a genuine Louboutin if it hit them on the head. eBay needs to have "something" to assure luxury goods companies that that they are doing policing the boards at all. And I have a feeling based on services "outsourced to India", (did you ever get a good result calling about a computer problem to someone who obviously is in India?) that there is a outdated catalog of Louboutins that don't really change as the designs of the shoes change and since they get paid by the case, they just hope that they get real fakes.

IMO - if it is that critical to both eBay and the designer, then they need hire real experts or forbid the sales entirely. "Either do it right or don't do it at all."

Not to get off topic here, but I will share this about CS outsourcing:
Dell customer support really takes the cake with their call center in India! Six months later, I'm still waiting for a partial refund on an item that they pulled the bait (advertised sale price) and switch (charged full price) on though their website ordering system. I suspect they deposited the partial refund into some other person's account. The American I was eventually transferred to gave me the run-a-around; he told me that the deposit mistake was between me and my bank because Dell didn't have a finance department to straighten it out. What?!

I totally would do this and pay some money for this service, but I don't think CLs has a certified authenticator. I would love if they did, and use it. The closest I have seen is the board on this Purse Forum, but I don't think eBay wouldn't recognize it.
chloe

Yes, there is, try Authenticate4U- Many different brands and authenticators together. PP & ebay claims, will authenticate for resellers.
http://www.authenticate4u.com

Good luck..

IMO - if it is that critical to both eBay and the designer, then they need hire real experts or forbid the sales entirely. "Either do it right or don't do it at all."

Not to get off topic here, but I will share this about CS outsourcing:
Dell customer support really takes the cake with their call center in India! Six months later, I'm still waiting for a partial refund on an item that they pulled the bait (advertised sale price) and switch (charged full price) on though their website ordering system. I suspect they deposited the partial refund into some other person's account. The American I was eventually transferred to gave me the run-a-around; he told me that the deposit mistake was between me and my bank because Dell didn't have a finance department to straighten it out. What?!

My thoughts exactly ^^^ sorry to hear about the Dell customer support. that sounds so shifty to do a bait and switch, and then shunt you off to their customer "support" in India...so have they found the money?

thank you lmt51 for the lead. authenticate4u says on their website that they do not do Christian Louboutins, but I have contacted them for a lead to one that does. It seems to me that if eBay were serious about this, they would have a published list of independent authenticators that they "believe".

If you are positive that they are authentic, I would relist.

OP - Just noticed this point and wanted to add that you can't relist until you are given a green light to do so by eBay. If you relist, you are in danger of being kicked off eBay permanently.

While I am a bit of an old hand with eBay & know exactly how the mechanics of this process work, I am not a CL devotee. But this forum has so many people who are expert collectors of CLs that there must be someone who can give you a final opinion which will settle the authenticity issue. If all goes well, then you as a seller, can then use this for clearing your item with eBay.

Does the CL FORUM have anyone who can point you to a site? Note, in the purse forum rules, PF members who run private authentication services

1. can only put their sites in a footer if given special permission to do so and
  2. are not allowed to direct traffic to their own authentication services.
If you happen to click on their link in their footer advertising services, you will probably find their site all by yourself :graucho:.

BUT other members are allowed to recommend services to you if they know of them.

If I'm understanding correctly, the OP's listing was reported to ebay by VeRO. Thus all the speculation that it was reported by other members is incorrect (unless those members reported to VeRO and VeRO reported).

When a listing is reported and removed by VeRO, the email you get from eBay has a contact email address for you to contact the VeRO rep.

I recommend you send an email to them and ask what pictures are necessary for you to submit to prove authenticity. Submit those views that they ask for and if the shoes are indeed deemed authentic, they will contact ebay and ebay will let you know that you may relist the item.

If you do get the go-ahead from CL and ebay, watch your seller dashboard and make sure that ebay removes the ding.

I've had two VeRO takedowns and both listings were proven authentic and allowed relisting. It's a PITA but something you have to do to get it relisted.

I find amazing how much drama on eBay for fake, non fake, item as described or not... For the game changed, instead of scam buyers, most scams are coming against the sellers. Number one scam: I took this product to the mall and I was told they are fake, how would you like to handle it? (ussually comes after 3-4 weeks of the purchase, which still fit into the 45 days money back guarantee by eBay for buyers protection);
If it is media, they can reproduce, duplicate, then accuse the seller for selling made in China and get the money back; If it is shoes and clothing even easier...

I find amazing how much drama on eBay for fake, non fake, item as described or not... For the game changed, instead of scam buyers, most scams are coming against the sellers. Number one scam: I took this product to the mall and I was told they are fake, how would you like to handle it? (ussually comes after 3-4 weeks of the purchase, which still fit into the 45 days money back guarantee by eBay for buyers protection);
If it is media, they can reproduce, duplicate, then accuse the seller for selling made in China and get the money back; If it is shoes and clothing even easier...

Note: If I am an authorized reseller of a product, and I paid to have my store on eBay, and I paid for the Vero program. I can spend all day just search for ads and reporting them because I will eliminating my competition in first place, and I know that 99% won't fight back.

The one I posted about reporting mine also sells CL so I'm sure she reported me for the exact reason above - to get rid of competition. She's also advertised on her auction that she's a tpf member, it's a real shame we are amongst people on here who feel the need to do that kind of thing - glad she didn't post her tpf ID (if she is really a member here, plenty post they are on their auction when they aren't)
I almost feel like reporting the ones she has listed now just so she can see how nice it is to have a vindictive seller report your items for the sake of it, or just because they think theyre an expert on the brand when they clearly can't tell what's what's.

Note: If I am an authorized reseller of a product, and I paid to have my store on eBay, and I paid for the Vero program. I can spend all day just search for ads and reporting them because I will eliminating my competition in first place, and I know that 99% won't fight back.
I doubt you're an authorized reseller of any designer item. Most companies in fact, discourage and dislike resellers and make no bones about it how much they hate ebay.

You may buy your items from the designer stores/outlets or from authorized retailers (Nordies, Macy's, Bloomies, Lord and Taylor, etc.) but you are NOT an authorized reseller. You're only a customer of the authorized reseller.

As for VeRO, you don't pay to be a verified rights owner. It's something you would apply for. (For example, some sellers on Bonz may be VeRO because if they don't sell on ebay and someone uses their IP (intellectual property), being VeRO is the only way to report the infringement. But it does NOT cost money.

The one I posted about reporting mine also sells CL so I'm sure she reported me for the exact reason above - to get rid of competition. She's also advertised on her auction that she's a tpf member, it's a real shame we are amongst people on here who feel the need to do that kind of thing - glad she didn't post her tpf ID (if she is really a member here, plenty post they are on their auction when they aren't)
I almost feel like reporting the ones she has listed now just so she can see how nice it is to have a vindictive seller report your items for the sake of it, or just because they think theyre an expert on the brand when they clearly can't tell what's what's.
Again, I strongly doubt that listings were reported by what you assume to be "competition."

I know many sellers of the same authentic brands as I sell and we all support each other and when asked, will acknowledge that "competition" as a trusted seller.

The only reports "competition" make are those against sellers of fakes or those who otherwise violate policy, i.e., shill bidding, fee circumvention or other legitimate infractions.

Honest sellers do not report other honest sellers.

ETA: There have been documented incidences of VeRO reps of designer companies reporting known authentic listings. In fact, Gucci was threatened with a class action lawsuit after having removed hundreds of authentic listings from trusted sellers. As it turned out, Gucci acknowledged reporting those items because they did want to direct traffic to its own site. Those listings were ultimately reinstated following the threat of legal action.

Coach has done the same thing and sellers who knew their items were authentic were able to prove their cases.

I suspect other companies have done the same thing.