Ebay nightmare help!!!

Nelmi

Aug 25, 2010
Hi ladies, I'm hoping an experienced eBayer can help me out. I listed an item for sale (my first ever) and listed shipping as US only. Apparently this wasn't enough and I was supposed to block international bidders somehow... anyway, of course the winner was from Australia. I attempted to cancel and they refused. They are now demanding photos and paperwork proving authenticity before paying and want me to e-mail it to them outside of eBay. Of course it is authentic, but if I mail it to Australia and it gets there and they dispute it how do I prove it then? I do not have paperwork for this item anymore as it not new or worth enough that I bothered, but it is more than I care to lose (a few hundred) So... summary... I tried to cancel, they refused and demanded "proof" before they'd pay - what should I do now???? Please help!

If it is a few hundred then it needs to go Express Mail (total $250 or more). You can send the buyer photos outside of ebay. That is ok. Give the buyer a shipping quote after you weigh the package.

I see a negative coming if you do not follow through.

But, you can also call eBay and see if they can help you since you say you said US only in the listing and she does not meet your TOS.

You can always just refuse to follow through with the sale since the buyer is outside of your shipping area. I would suggest you do this, since it seems it's going to be a nightmare transaction.

If they are refusing to pay AFTER wining the item, just file for non paying bidder - she won the item on what informaion you posted in the auction - it's her responsibility to pay now.

If they are refusing to pay AFTER wining the item, just file for non paying bidder - she won the item on what informaion you posted in the auction - it's her responsibility to pay now.

if she does this - she's risking the buyer just paying (there's that option when you apply for the strike, they have a few days to pay) and then giving her problems after it arrives.

i'd cancel, just do a CANCEL TRANSACTION (forgot what it's called exactly) and hope that ebay will back you up since you listed US only in your auction.

they probably will though i don't know for sure, i don't know what the rules are, if you must block or just writing is enough.

i personally wouldn't go through with the sale because:1. it's international, i'm scared of it but many people still ship 2. that's she's already giving you problems even before she got the item

hth

sorry, i just saw that you said you attempted to cancel and they refused. you attemped to do the cancel transaction thru ebay? and ebay didn't back you up? call them if that's the case.

Last edited:
What to do
You must ensure the items you are offering are in stock for the duration of the listing and are delivered to the buyer, unless the buyer doesn't meet the terms of your listing.

it seems like ebay will be on your side if you try to cancel the transaction

There are a couple of things going on here.

1. Granted the buyer didn't read your restriction in the description and bid/bought/won the item. But now that she won it, she can neg you.

If she pays for the item or if she wants it and declines the mutual, you'll probably get the neg.

2. Although you stated that you only ship to US, the way to avoid this type of situation is to set your buyer requirements to BLOCK international bidders. If you do that, those bidders won't be able to bid on your items. (You can opt to exempt bidders also if you think someone is a good risk and want to allow them to bid.)

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

Just for the record, I've never EVER had a problem with an Australian buyer. They've all been great communicators, instant payers and Australian buyers seem to get their items more quickly than domestic buyers! (Go figure.)

I'm sorry this happened to you. I would also just call Ebay to cancel the transaction, esp if the buyer is already being difficult. FYI - if you ever decide to list again - do a search on the purse forum for "How to almost bullet proof yourself from unpaid items." On pg 8/post 115, it tells you have to block certain buyers.

I would recommend you to call ebay to cancel the transaction. I have read someone tried to cancel a transaction to use a problem resolve option because of an unwelcome international buyer. But somehow they couldn't cancel the transaction that way. I don't know how those members figured out their problems. So, I'm guessing there isn't so obvious easy way to cancel it.

I have read a few posts about the Australian customs delay in here. If you are not familiar with international shipping, I would strongly recommend you to contact ebay to cancel the transaction.

Here is a very helpful tips for blocking unwelcome bidders.
http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...roof-yourself-unpaid-items-update-524708.html

Good luck!

Oops. catsnbags already posted the same thing.

Thanks everyone... anyone have the number to call eBay to request this? Believe it or not I broke my nose this week too, so bad luck all around and I don't have it in me to research right now. I'm worried they will randomly pay through paypal before I can contact eBay/figure this out.

Hi ladies, I'm hoping an experienced eBayer can help me out. I listed an item for sale (my first ever) and listed shipping as US only. Apparently this wasn't enough and I was supposed to block international bidders somehow... anyway, of course the winner was from Australia. I attempted to cancel and they refused. They are now demanding photos and paperwork proving authenticity before paying and want me to e-mail it to them outside of eBay. Of course it is authentic, but if I mail it to Australia and it gets there and they dispute it how do I prove it then? I do not have paperwork for this item anymore as it not new or worth enough that I bothered, but it is more than I care to lose (a few hundred) So... summary... I tried to cancel, they refused and demanded "proof" before they'd pay - what should I do now???? Please help!

As far as I know, you cannot send photos through ebay messaging. So her request to email additional photos outside ebay is normal. However, she should have asked for this before she bid. (But then, because she is international, you might have blocked her.) Customs don't apply in Australia on items under $1,000 so you don't have to worry about that. Personally, I would be less concerned about her being international than about, what appears to be, a bit of a pushy attitude.

She says she is not going to pay without "proof" and you no longer have the paperwork so it sounds like you two have reached a stalemate. It would be nice if you two could end this amicably so you can get your fees back and avoid a neg. The only additional advice I can give is to remain polite and hope for the best.