EBay (Legit) EMail about Unauthorized Use

Sep 1, 2009
OK, this is weird. I received an email from EBay (yes, I did discover it was legit. It says there was unauthorized use on my account. No, I did not click on any links. I went to EBay directly and tried to login. Had to go through hoops and get a text. Changed my password etc.
Now, the really weird part(s):
The email went to my old email address. I had changed it a few months ago. Thankfully, I check both. I received nothing on the new email address.
It was addressed to my old user name. I ended up having to change it back to that one in order to log in. It did not recognize my new user name at all.
It had my old last name. I can't remember when I changed that.
I changed my password. Changed my name back and to the new email. But, wondering what might have happened if I didn't have access to that old email or didn't have my phone set up for texts.
And, I still don't know what unauthorized use there may have been. No purchases that I did not make. No items listed. Nothing. I don't have my credit card on there either.
I am a little nervous. If someone did hack into it, why change my info back? So, I am guessing a wonderful EBay glitch. Has it happened to anyone else?

ETA And, now, my feedback number went down. This is really weird.

Last edited:
I've never experienced this but I wonder if it has anything to do with other hacks of your email account. I've received messages (both fake and legitimate) from you after various hacks over the years.

Is it possible it's been hibernating since one of the previous hacks?

Reactions: threadbender
I've never experienced this but I wonder if it has anything to do with other hacks of your email account. I've received messages (both fake and legitimate) from you after various hacks over the years.

Is it possible it's been hibernating since one of the previous hacks?
No, it is definitely EBay. All of my information went back to what I had on July 3, 2019. They are trying to say because I changed my email address and last name that the bots thought it was hacked. I told him a hacker would have changed the phone number too. lol So, people, do not change too much info at one time! lol
I am just glad I had access to that email and that they did not delete my phone number. lol
Since, I now know why it happened, I guess I should have waited til I talked with EBay before posting. It was just so weird.
Thank you @BeenBurned . I am glad I wasn't hacked on EBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeenBurned