eBay is removing personal email addresses exchanged in their message center

SeeinRed

Sep 16, 2011
I had a customer email me through ebay's messaging system and asked me for additional photos on one of my items. I asked for their email address to send the photos. The reply I got was everything from the buyer, except where the email address was, it says, "email address removed per eBay policy."

I have never had this happen before. Does anyone know what's going on? How are we suppose to send additional photos to potential buyers?

I had a customer email me through ebay's messaging system and asked me for additional photos on one of my items. I asked for their email address to send the photos. The reply I got was everything from the buyer, except where the email address was, it says, "email address removed per eBay policy."

I have never had this happen before. Does anyone know what's going on? How are we suppose to send additional photos to potential buyers?

Wow! Have you tried photo bucket?

Sending the actual photos isn't the problem. It's when I wrote back to the buyer and said, "yes I will be happy to send you photos, what is your email address" that I had the problem. In her answer back to me, her email address was edited out by eBay.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Sending the actual photos isn't the problem. It's when I wrote back to the buyer and said, "yes I will be happy to send you photos, what is your email address" that I had the problem. In her answer back to me, her email address was edited out by eBay.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Got it. Ebay is censoring messages.
I was able to send my address to some sellers today.:smile:
Or maybe not?!
To get around it, I would list an email address at the bottom. To contact me please email me @[email protected]
Sorry

You have to use code. Spell it out so the bots don't catch it. It is a total PITA.

For example, please send photos to no shoe polish at compuservedotcom. (making up an e-mail address)

Got it. Ebay is censoring messages.
I was able to send my address to some sellers today.:smile:
Or maybe not?!
To get around it, I would list an email address at the bottom. To contact me please email me @[email protected]
Sorry

Exactly! Maybe not. Because I DID get her message but her email address was all Xxxxxxxxx's with (email address removed per email policy) typed in after the series of X's

So annoying

Yup, you have to spell it out (as some sites do to prevent spambots from harvesting the email addresses). I've also had messages blocked outright when I've included links in them (and on one occasion this led to an idiot buyer filing an INR because she didn't think to check the tracking and see the pkg was at her post office)

That's why they use it but it is a pain to send photos. I think someone told me that if you hit reply to the ebay e-mail, it limits the size of photos so it defeats itself.

Wow, that's news to me. It could be to prevent sellers and buyers from agreeing to purchase outside eBay so sellers could avoid eBay fees.

FYI--you could also avoid this issue (well, on your end, anyway) by spelling out your email address somewhere in the listing itself (like "contact me at janedoe -at- gmail -dot- com if you'd like extra photos!). I've had no problems with this, and just to be even safer, I use an .edu email address (in case they go sniffing around for "dot com")