Ebay Insurance Required Box for Sellers

We have a statement in our listing that says " Insurance: We have delivery confirmation on all U.S. shipping. If insurance is important to you, please contact us."

The reason for this is because some of our customers feel that insurance gives their package special handling. It may have sentimental value or is hard for our customer to find, and they want the added peace of mind. If they want it, we will work it out for them. Otherwise, we insure based on the value of the item to us.

Up to $50, we do not insure. If it is delicate or over $50, we insure it at our expense. In over 7 years of selling and 5,000+ items mailed, we filed one claim for insurance. We have absorbed the cost of damaged, but not insured packages twice. Not bad odds, and we ship a lot of old records that could be easily broken.

It doesn't matter if insurance is important to the buyer or not - if the item gets lost in the mail or broken or stolen you are still responsible to get that item to the buyer. Uner $50 or over it doesn't matter the SELLER is responsible.

I never said we are not responsible for the product, Please re-read the statement I posted.

I was explaining how WE developed OUR policy whether to insure or not, and OUR policy to allow the customer to contact us if insurance is something THEY want.

Again, many of our products have sentimental value but it is not worth us paying for insurance. We will refund the purchase and shipping if the product is broken or lost.

However, because of the sentimental value, some customers want the warm fuzzy that comes from insuring. They can see from our feedbacks and it is in our policies that we have 100% satisfaction guarantee. We will comply if they want insurance, but we will not pay for it.

I hope this makes things clearer. We have had 100% satisfaction over our complete eBay selling history, and 4.9 to 5.0 on all our DSR's, so I think we have taken responsibility for our sales and treat customer service as a very important part of our business.

Insurance is for the seller. If the buyer files for item not received or SNAD or whatever, THEY (the buyer) get the PP payment for chargeback, and the seller gets the insurance? Am I right about this?

Insurance does not cover SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) for the seller. The seller should accept a return and pay both purchase and both shipping costs. IMHO

If it does not arrive there is a waiting period for the shipper to investigate and if they do not show delivery, they should pay the seller and the seller should refund the buyer.

If the item has tracking and it is showed as delivered, insurance will not be paid, nor will PayPal force the seller to refund. In that case, the seller does not have to refund. we had a case recently where the Post Office confirmed delivery. It was delivered to a business and they acknowledged they got it but the buyer said they did not. We could have stood our ground, but we refund the purchase price, not the shipping. PayPal said that was more than we had to do. We probably got scammed, but....

Last edited:
I never said we are not responsible for the product, Please re-read the statement I posted.

I was explaining how WE developed OUR policy whether to insure or not, and OUR policy to allow the customer to contact us if insurance is something THEY want.

Again, many of our products have sentimental value but it is not worth us paying for insurance. We will refund the purchase and shipping if the product is broken or lost.

However, because of the sentimental value, some customers want the warm fuzzy that comes from insuring. They can see from our feedbacks and it is in our policies that we have 100% satisfaction guarantee. We will comply if they want insurance, but we will not pay for it.

I hope this makes things clearer. We have had 100% satisfaction over our complete eBay selling history, and 4.9 to 5.0 on all our DSR's, so I think we have taken responsibility for our sales and treat customer service as a very important part of our business.

Oh , I see - you are saying that if it's under $50 you'll just take the risk on yourselves - I get it.

An dI TOTALLY agree with the seller paying all (shipping etc.) when an item is snad because that is the sellers fault :smile:

You have a great policy, eBayguy! It's exactly what I try to follow, also. Of course, I sell on a much smaller scale!;)

Glad we are on the same page Nyria. Originally, we bought insurance for most packages but then realized that we were just paying extra and never had claims. We decided to take the risk and lowered costs.

As far as SNAD claims we have had two customers not agree with our rating system. We tried our best to describe, they did not agree and we refunded their purchase price and shipping. One was shipped to Germany, so we ate more shipping than the original cost, but that's business some times. The internet tends to be very impersonal so we go out of our way to give our customers a warm fuzzy feeling.

One cautionary comment though, the product line you are selling can sometimes attract more controversy, make the customers less forgiving because of all the horror stories they have heard (or experienced) and the scam artists come out of the walls because of huge profits.

From this discussion board you can guess some of those categories. Electronics is another volatile product line. Many of people have heard the Judge Judy episode where a person was sold a picture of a cell phone and not the actual phone. I could not believe that someone actually showed up to defend that tactic.

Good fortune to all, and thanks for your compliment and mutual sales approach MarneeB. There are still a lot of good eBay sellers out there, but the bad ones get most of the attention.

They may not allow the statement about contacting you for insurance. Ebay sller performance standards are changing. You can't even mention dining stars under the new performance standards.

Seller's can't have Buyer's pay for insurance anymore?

they were not supposed to anyway from what ebay told me!

And a good change it is! All these 'insurance optional' statements and 'I'm not responsible for lost or damaged items' were misleading to buyers, because sellers are responsible whether the buyer chose to pay for insurance or not.

exactly!!!! ITA and i hope those type statements will become a thing of the past!!

You could be right about eBay removing ANY mention of insurance, but I did not say I would sell them insurance, just that they should contact me if they are concerned. For those who get the warm fuzzy from insurance, they may want to know what the deal is, since not everyone keeps up with eBay policies. I want to be sure they know that WE did not make the change.

eBay also removed payment by anything other then PayPal or credit card unless picked up in person, but we have a statement that says "If you have a question about payment or insurance and can not get to us through eBay, search with any search engine for our eBay name *********** and you will find numerous references to use."

This has been in our listing from the day eBay mentioned changing the payment process and also that they would start controlling buyer/seller communication. We did not know exactly what they meant, so we wanted to assure our folks they could get in touch with us in another manner. We did not post our e-mail.

We occasionally get e-mails asking if they can pay by check or money order and we usually accept. eBay still allows sellers to mark the sale as paid manually, so they know that other payments are being used, we just can not solicit it.

Personally, I would prefer PayPal payment, but we have a neighbor who bought a commercial building from us and paid by check. They will not shop on the internet with credit cards. In fact, I don't think they have any. Likewise there are eBay customers out there who feel the same and as long as we can, we plan to work with their requests. Please remember, it is at THEIR request.