Ebay Has Become Eerie

lark_lulu

Apr 21, 2008
I had not bought anything through Ebay for the past 2 years; I have been actively looking at bags for the last month and a half. I have noticed fakes handbags being sold for $500 (+ or -)--I feel terrible for those buyers and I have become wary of making any major purchases through Ebay.

Also last fall I bought 2 pairs of boots at Holt Renfrew but I really liked the patent and suede Mary Jane boots (Marc By Marc Jacobs); these were a little over $500 CDN and if I wanted I could get them for $200 CDN--the price seems low and all I see are stock photos.

Am I becoming paranoid also am I the only one feeling this way?

There is good and there is bad out there. I have brought over 100 Designer Bags from Ebay in the 6 years I have been registered and only 4-5 turned out to be fakes, its about educating yourself before purchasing....

My mood with eBay goes up and down. Sometimes I go crazy and list a bunch of stuff, then I spend time here on tPF and worry my head off with all of these stories!

Then I stay away from eBay for a couple months, and then I always end up back again. So far, no scary situations for me, but I stay leery.

Thanks all!

I suppose part of my problem with Ebay is that I am no longer a savvy shopper, so I know far less about high end bags (the recent collections) than I did 3 years ago.

I wouldn't buy if they only have stock photos. I only buy if they have a photo of the actual item they are selling. Even if it's just taken on their kitchen or bathroom counter.

I am a buyer and a seller on feebay. If I am buying a bag, I have it authenticated here. If I am selling, my photos are always taken at the same place in my home (same background) and they are watermarked to avoid a scammer copying and using them. I think buyers are reassured when they know the seller actually took the photos of the item; I know I am. That's why I also like to ask for a picture of something the seller doesn't show in the listing, i.e. the underside of the zipper. You have to be sooooo careful. These FAKES are going for literally thousands. Also, always pay for an expensive bag with a credit card. Great fraud protection!