Food Eating with a Slow Eater

serafina

Aug 15, 2009
Do you tend to adjust the pace at which you eat to match those you're dining with?

It drives me CRAZYYYY my best friend is the slowest eater in the world!!! So many times she's dying of hunger, 'cant wait to eat', we get to the restaurant, and its like she's PICKING AT HER FOOD, or is being forced to eat it. She always finishes it, but man its soooooooo-ooo slowwww. I always feel awkward because I'm done ages before her and ive tried eating at her pace before, but man its HARD!!

On the other hand, when we go out for coffee, the girl can literally gulp down her entire coffee plus dessert within minutes and i've barely even had my second sip yet lol.

i'm a slow eater, and i don't think anyone has ever modified their eating speed to match mine lol. i don't expect them to, but of course i feel awkward when they're done and waiting on me. even if i'm still hungry, i'll just box up my food so they don't have to wait for me. my husband is a fast eater, and if we're sharing something like a bowl of popcorn, i try to eat faster or else he'll eat all the food when i've only taken like 5 bites lol.

my mom is an even slower eater than me. when we go out, i do try to slow down my eating.

Reactions: Docjeun
I'm a ridiculously slow eater..I always try to speed up when I'm eating with a group of people so it doesn't get awkward if everyone besides me is done.

My best friend since 6th grade is the only person who eats as slow as I do. We used to joke that we became best friends because all of our friends would finish eating lunch at school 20 minutes before us, so we were always stuck at the lunch table alone every day haha

I'm the opposite; I'm a super fast eater. Honestly, it doesn't bother me if someone is still eating after I am finished. Just gives me time to peruse the dessert menu!

I don't know how I can eat so fast; I don't shovel food in, I converse throughout, it's just a weird thing!

It's actually better to eat slowly. People often just swill food in and barely even taste it. Your brain won't process that your body is full in time, so you'll eat more than you need to. It's also better for digestion to eat slowly. I'm a slow eater... not insanely slow, but I do prefer to take my time sitting down to a meal, enjoy the flavors and experience, and I wish more people would try it!

*raises hand* Guilty of being a slow eater!

No one ever slows down because of me, sometimes I try to eat as fast as I can but its still usually slower than "fast eaters". My brother and sister in law are perhaps the fastest eaters ever, I will have had maybe two bites out of my burger and they both will have totally eaten everything on their plates. As exotikittenx mentioned it is in fact healthier to eat slower than to just swallow your food. Picking at your food is different than being a slow eater though, if she is just playing around with food rather than actually putting it in her mouth and chewing that might be a little annoying. I know you said you feel awkward but from my personal experience the person still eating usually feels even more awkward about being a slow eater! I know a lot of times I will just be like I'm done because I feel like others on the table are just waiting for me to finish.

I'm a very slow eater. I have figured out some tricks to help everyone at the table finish around the same time. I try not to do a lot of talking while I eat. I try to ask questions of everyone else at the table. that way, I keep eating, & they stop to talk. it works pretty well. so I guess you could say that I don't adjust my pace to the others at the table, I try to get them to adjust to my slower pace. :P

Reactions: Docjeun
Another slow eater here! I don't know why, but I guess I chew my food a lot longer than everyone else.

No one's ever adjusted their pace when eating with me, but I always feel bad for making people wait for me to finish. I hate wasting food, so I usually end up rushing to finish as much as I can...

I'm a rather slow eater myself. Usually everyone finishes way before me. I guess I just like to savour the flavour. :greengrin:
Everyone around me eats at their usual pace. They're under no obligation to wait for me to finish, and they usually chat away until I catch up anyway. Just try and feel confortable that you eat faster than her and she eats slower than you. As long as you both enjoy the food and the company, then all is good.

My grandfather was a very slow eater. It's actually better to eat slow because you can take the time to really chew your food and it is very good for your digestive system. I'm eating slower these days too.

LOL this thread made me laugh! I honestly don't understand how people can eat in slow motion like that. When i'm hungry, i ravish my food, it's gone in like 2 seconds. I just don't get how someone can claim they're so hungry and then eat like a turtle, i mean, clearly you weren't THAT hungry if it took you an hour to finish your meal

Reactions: MrTee
Everyone around me eats at their usual pace. They're under no obligation to wait for me to finish, and they usually chat away until I catch up anyway. Just try and feel confortable that you eat faster than her and she eats slower than you. As long as you both enjoy the food and the company, then all is good.

^ This is usually how it is when I go out to eat with friends or family as well. I'm a slow eater and I've never noticed anyone adjust how they eat to accommodate my eating speed. Everyone is usually so busy chatting and enjoying each other's company that no one even notices that I'm usually the last one to finish eating. :lol:

I'm also a super slow eater (actually I only know 2 people who eat even slower than me). Eating faster stresses me out... even though it feels awkward being the only one still eating when I'm not alone. I also dont expect people to eat slower as long as I dont have the feeling everyone is waiting for me to finish, because that stresses me out too... well I prefer eating by myself or with close friends who dont care XD

Especially when I'm super hungry I'll try to eat slower because eating fast after being hungry for some time gives me some stomach pains