East Coast Fashionistas

gail13

O.G.
Dec 25, 2009
I'm heading to NY in about a month, and thinking about my wardrobe of course. Is black still the preferred color for coats/jackets and boots? I live in LA now, and was thinking of buying one of those packable lightweight down jackets for layering, and can find pretty much any color.

Are the fashionable ladies in NY etc wearing more sleek sneakers or boots these days?

Any advice on how not to look like a tourist is welcome!

You see coats of all colors in New York, but dark colors generally are more prevalent among the locals. As the weather gets colder, most women opt for boots over sneakers (even trendy ones). These days, you probably see an equal number of girls wearing riding boots and ankle boots on the streets of Manhattan.

As far as not looking like a tourist, avoid running sneakers (unless you're wearing gym attire), ski parkas (unless you're on the way to the slopes...or a blizzard is on the way), and walking around with a guidebook in hand :P But I will say, the most-tell tale sign that you're a tourist is not what you're wearing, but how you move. The locals tend to walk quickly and with a purpose, while tourists tend to walk slowly, crowd the sidewalks, and look lost half the time. All kidding aside, have a great time and don't worry about what people are thinking :smile:

Don't bring a camera and shoot ***everything*** :P

As for what to wear, I've honestly seen just about every color and style. I don't live in NY, but I've been here numerous times. The majority of people dress "normal" imo... I really don't think there's a major difference in how people dress compared to other big cities.

Black is a universal color.
Boots >>> sneakers... I don't think I've seen sneakers on women since the 90's... unless you're at the gym or doing sports... but this is not exclusive to NY.

As far as not looking like a tourist, avoid running sneakers (unless you're wearing gym attire), ski parkas (unless you're on the way to the slopes...or a blizzard is on the way), and walking around with a guidebook in hand :P But I will say, the most-tell tale sign that you're a tourist is not what you're wearing, but how you move. The locals tend to walk quickly and with a purpose, while tourists tend to walk slowly, crowd the sidewalks, and look lost half the time. All kidding aside, have a great time and don't worry about what people are thinking :smile:

LOL! I must have really stood out when I was there over the summer!

I think black is the dominant coat color, but pretty much any dark color goes. Boots are definitely preferred because it gets chilly and cold, plus they look chic. Most women don't wear sneakers unless it's with gym clothes. I also agree with the previous posters. Nothing is more annoying than someone walking too slow or standing in the middle of the sidewalk, trying to figure out which direction to go.

Most of us wear dark colored coats. I have a dark grey moncler and a black moncler which I love. I also have a dark navy blue bloomies brand. Boots are defiantly the choice as far as shoes. No one wears sneakers unless they are going to or from the gym.

Most of us wear dark colored coats. I have a dark grey moncler and a black moncler which I love. I also have a dark navy blue bloomies brand. Boots are defiantly the choice as far as shoes. No one wears sneakers unless they are going to or from the gym.

I love those coats. I was thinking a light packable down coats would work well since I don't have the need for anything too heavy most of the year. I have another North Face longer coat but it's really heavy and it hurts my shoulders when I wear it.

I love those coats. I was thinking a light packable down coats would work well since I don't have the need for anything too heavy most of the year. I have another North Face longer coat but it's really heavy and it hurts my shoulders when I wear it.

Make sure it will be warm enough. Today was about 35 out and by December it will be colder. There are lots of north face around and although you think it is heavy it will keep you nice and warm here.

Black! I feel like its a sea of dark colored jackets. Usually wool or cashmere. Riding boots to keep your legs warm. A hat if its really cold. Leather gloves and a scarf are a plus. Weather is fluctuating between warm and really cold so be prepared.