Duty | Tax | Customs for International shopping {VAT refund}

Recently if you are not a uk citizen and you travel with items worth more than 390 pounds you have to declare them, I have read from few people that they have been stopped and their items have been checked, someone paid 20% tax on items from paris. I find this unfair as some are trying to use the Brexit to benefit from. When i read the law on imported items to the uk for tourist if it is made in the eu then you pay 0%, but as people dont know the law and most of them are scared to be banned from entering the uk so they do pay without consulting the embassy or a lawyer.

I am headed to Singapore from Australia in 2 months and would like to know if its cheaper to purchase something from Louis Vuitton in Singapore.

I am confused on how VAT and stuff works since i've never done it before. TIA

Recently if you are not a uk citizen and you travel with items worth more than 390 pounds you have to declare them, I have read from few people that they have been stopped and their items have been checked, someone paid 20% tax on items from paris. I find this unfair as some are trying to use the Brexit to benefit from. When i read the law on imported items to the uk for tourist if it is made in the eu then you pay 0%, but as people dont know the law and most of them are scared to be banned from entering the uk so they do pay without consulting the embassy or a lawyer.

Can you pls share where it is that you read that a non UK resident tourist need not pay any tax on goods purchased from EU when travelling to the UK before heading home? I have been looking on UK government websites but can't find any info on this. Thanks!

Does anyone know if I could exchange an item after I had claimed the VAT refund? My friend bought me a pair of Dior slides on his trip to Germany but they don't fit so I want to send them back and get an exchange but the bill has already been stamped (VAT refunded).

Hi,

I'll be in London next month and wonder if anyone has been able to purchase a Chanel bag from either a boutique or department store and have it shipped to the US for the VAT refund (since we can no longer get it at the airport due to Brexit)? If so, any details would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be in Paris too but it looks like the price in Europe even with VAT refund isn't that different from US.

Thanks!

Hi all, when you do VAT refund scans, your items need to be unworn when you show the goods correct? I wanted to buy shoes in Paris and wear it on the trip but I guess I cannot in case the officer ask you to show the item?

Hi,

I'll be in London next month and wonder if anyone has been able to purchase a Chanel bag from either a boutique or department store and have it shipped to the US for the VAT refund (since we can no longer get it at the airport due to Brexit)? If so, any details would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be in Paris too but it looks like the price in Europe even with VAT refund isn't that different from US.

Thanks!
Any items you purchase need to be with you at the airport when you leave the EU because they can request to check the item. Have not shopped in London since Brexit so no comment on that part.

Does anyone know if I could exchange an item after I had claimed the VAT refund? My friend bought me a pair of Dior slides on his trip to Germany but they don't fit so I want to send them back and get an exchange but the bill has already been stamped (VAT refunded).
You can exchange at your local store but they will charge you tax.

Hi,

Thanks!
I think its possible, but the SA would tell you that you will have to deal with some customs/taxes at the US side, so a Heathrow SA told me most of her American clients dont bother in the end, sorry not much help here. Btw UK did see a similar 9-10% price increase earlier this month, along with Europe.

Hi all! It’s been four weeks since I submitted my vat refund since leaving Paris. I’m getting nervous because most resources say I should have received it within 3 weeks.

Has anyone submitted for vat refund recently who can give me some insights on expected current refund time?

Hi all! It’s been four weeks since I submitted my vat refund since leaving Paris. I’m getting nervous because most resources say I should have received it within 3 weeks.

Has anyone submitted for vat refund recently who can give me some insights on expected current refund time?
I purchased July 8th in Paris and received the VAT on my credit card July 21st so about two weeks for me.