dupes or not dupes

Dupe or not dupe

• Total voters

sun2ooi

Jun 27, 2019
I m thinking about why most ladies could accept a dupe jewellery eg rings inspired or exactly the same as Tiffany’s , but they could not accept a dupe Hermes.

What is your thought? Let’s have a poll.

Sometimes I don't know if a style will work for me nor do I have the disposable income to just walk into Hermes. I won't buy a fake (including a Hermes logo) but I don't mind heavily inspired bags or high street dupes.

I'm really glad that I didn't splurged on a Speedy when I bought the exact same bag from h&m and figured out that the model just didn't work for me. I wouldn't buy a fake Speedy including the LV logo just to try that out though.

I love the BV Pouch now but I don't know if that love will last, so I bought the Zara dupe and that satisfied my urge. So I guess I would do dupes, wouldn't do fakes.

I would say if you really like that piece of jewelry, there's no reason not to wear it. As long as it doesn't have any logos or anything like that.

But, jewelry is rather small and not that many people know what a classic Cartier bracelet looks like, for example. With bags, they're more of a focal point of an outfit than a ring or a necklace. Personally, I wouldn't wear something that was an exact copy or a famous design, even if it didn't have any logos and therefore wasn't, strictly speaking, a fake.

But if it's inspired - that's a totally different thing, in my opinion. Lots of brands copy each other. Saint Laurent Manhattan looks somewhat like a Kelly. Lots of Saint Laurent, Gucci and Prada quilted bags have been inspired by Chanel and their Classic flap.

There's also the Box bag - Hermes Constance, Celine Box, Prada Don't remember what it's called, and many others.

And don't forget high street and contemporary brands getting inspired by designer bags, sometimes almost too close. Case in point: Prada Galleria and Tory Burch Robinson.

One of the reason to buy something (for me) is the design aspect and therefore I'd probably try to but the original of both bag or jewellery (therefore, number 4.

If that wasn't possible because of budget constraints and if it was more the idea or trend that I liked, then I'd rather buy inspired-by rather than an exact copy.

I think high street and premier are so far apart that they could easilly be different universes. If you love bags and are fully in the know, it's easy to spot a high street dupe. But if you are not in the know you might see a cute high street bag and some time later you stumbles upon the premier version of it. Sometimes even from a brand that you've never heard of.

Offcourse high street is almost always inspired by something trendy but if I'm shopping I buy what I like and would't pass up a bag that speaks to me just because there might be an original (that costs way more) version of it.

I think I would pass up a high street bag of poor quality, not because it looks too much like another bag. I apparently thought more about the subject than my initial response.

Reactions: ladysarah
I was very close to buying what to me feels like a Chanel dupe - this Rebecca Minkoff. But I showed my husband and he said he didn’t like it. I was surprised as I thought he would say it was nice. Hoping he could curb my interest in Chanel I decided to show him similar actual Chanel bags - even ones I didn’t like - and he said all of them were better! RM isn’t “cheap” enough to pilot the style, but I found it funny he had such a strong reaction between the two bags. He is not someone aware of brands, yet claimed he could tell the difference in quality and style (apparently)...

To the OP: May I ask you the difference between the first and third items in the vote ?
The first one means all dupes ..
The third one means only those I like ..

why there’s such difference is that I care too much about people’s thought towards myself. So as long as they are dupes that I really like but I can’t afford the price, I don’t care and I’ll just go for dupes. But I heard a lot from some youtubers that they would accept any dupes and recommend people to buy dupes...

For me , I would only stick to my preference but not encourage people to spend $$ on such things..

Reactions: papertiger
I was very close to buying what to me feels like a Chanel dupe - this Rebecca Minkoff. But I showed my husband and he said he didn’t like it. I was surprised as I thought he would say it was nice. Hoping he could curb my interest in Chanel I decided to show him similar actual Chanel bags - even ones I didn’t like - and he said all of them were better! RM isn’t “cheap” enough to pilot the style, but I found it funny he had such a strong reaction between the two bags. He is not someone aware of brands, yet claimed he could tell the difference in quality and style (apparently)...

My husband can tell Chanel 2.55 is much better but when he knows the price, he prefers an inspired version or an exact dupe. He always says after all it’s just a bag ........

I don’t wear real diamonds for ethical reasons, so the jewellery would not apply to me. As to bags, because so much design is inspired from other design - as long as there is no logo trying to rip people off I am good with it.

For example hermes bolide has many reincarnations at different price points and different finish standards. There are plenty of high street versions or no name Italian artisans that can do a very satisfactory alternative at accessible price points. a classic design and useful to many.

Very little is truly new or innovative in fashion at this point so, to some extent this is a moot point to me.

That being said, over time, I’ve become a bag snob. :lol: So, I’m not willing to buy or wear bags that are direct lifts of other active designs. (Bags by Michael Kors come to mind.) But, c’mon :lol: this is because I can afford the premier bags. Let’s not ignore the financials in this. When I was younger and couldn’t afford premier bags, I happily bought what I could and never cared about anything else.

Moving to jewelry, I would never buy dupes or obviously copied designs. So, for example, wouldn’t buy an “almost” Cartier love bracelet. It’s iconic.

That being said, I don’t typically buy “designer” jewelry because there isn’t a real quality difference between that and what I can get created custom. Diamonds and metals are graded with precision so, I know exactly what I have. The mark up to get something from a special brand is a total waste to me. Plus my item would look like every one else’s. I don’t mind this for bags but, for the most part, I do want to be unique in jewelry. But, again, being honest, this is helped by the fact that generally I really don’t like most “designer” off the rack jewelry (VCA Alhambra and David Yurman everything - I’m looking at you. Blech! LOL! Tiffany isn’t interesting. Bvlgari and Cartier are beautiful but often overdone. So...) Perhaps if I liked more of the common designer styles I’d be more likely to buy. Just like I’m happy to buy something common on the bag side like a Chanel classic flap or Dior Diorama. But, til then, I prefer sourcing amazing stones and creating personal designs.

Last note, it sounds bad but it is what it is. :lol: if I want to show off in bags, I kinda need a brand bag. When I show off in jewelry, the size and quality of the stones and the unique, well crafted designs speak volumes. I don’t need (and really don’t want) what everyone else has on their hand / arm / neck / ears. (Don’t come for me, purse peeps. This is tPF. If we didn’t care at least to some small point about badge status, we’d all get a well crafted sack for our things and never have designer bags. LOL!)

Last edited:
I don’t like them. Do something original, start your own trend be authentic and creative or go home. If you want to be inspired by something then do a steampunk or goth version of it, don’t do an outright copy, that’s just boring.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I don’t like dupes at all, especially ones that almost copy elements that are unique to the premier designer, such as the GUCCI horsebit or the design of Chanel boy bag, even if there is no logo anywhere on the item.

Reactions: Sparkletastic