DSW sale not good for Gucci's brand image...

All I know is that no DSW's in Michigan had this sale only 14 stores had it and many people bought and its now on ebay for more. I almost cried when I heard about it too late. I wish I would have known I would have been there with bells shoot I wish LV, Ysl and Hermes would all have sales at these prices. I would buy it all and the brand would not be tarnished---shoot how is it tarnished. Is it tarnished if a movie star and a teacher have the same bag?

Is it tarnished if a movie star and a teacher have the same bag?

I know! And I am a teacher and starting this September a gym teacher!!! lol

I think the prevalence of a brand depends on where you live. Where I live it's either guess, KVZ or Tommy Hilfiger. The only designers are Coach and LV - lots of speedies and neverfulls (most people I know can't justify a $1000 bag purchase). People around here don't know anything about Gucci - they wouldn't even be able to recognize the monogram. Except for my family and my one friend, there isn't anyone else who carries an authentic gucci who lives here - I've seen a few but they're American tourists and I've seen a couple of bad fakes. That's about it. In TO, I do see a number of gucci bags but the presence of LV is much more prevalent from preteens to grandmothers, much like Coach.

I think we really need to keep in mind that DSW sales don't exist everywhere and most people can't take advantage of them. I don't see amazing sales on designer goods here. Really great sales don't exist in Canada (or maybe I've just been unlucky). Everything is already so expensive to begin with. I think some people on the forum have been lucky to live near a DSW to take advantage of the sales. If I was there, I would too - if I like the bags (I don't buy something just because it's on sale).

well...at least DSW doesn't have these sales all the time. i think its just a limited time thing. they call it their "legendary designer event" which to me, means that they will have rare sales like this with different designers. this year just happened to be our beloved Gucci. I don't see this kinda event happening again. Plus...it wasn't EVERY DSW that had the event which makes it MORE limited. so even though it was an incredible sale, i don't think the Gucci brand will hurt too much from it.

That's not necessarily/always true though. The brown boston bag sold at DSW, for example, is the Hawaii exclusive (sold exclusively in Hawaii) for $630 plus tax. It was later sold at Gucci outlets across the nation and gucci.com for $379 plus tax. DSW then sold it for $249 plus tax! So it wasn't "obscure" at all. And the wallets were definitely sold in boutiques and gucci.com. The DSW items were incredible finds at incredible prices and that's why those of us who scored are very grateful. Thanks DSW!!!

I don't know if these were the Hawaii exclusives or not. From some pictures it looks like it's a metallic bronze trim and the Hawaii exclusives were a dark brown leather trim. It's the same base color of black/brown though.

The reason I ask is because in this post...
http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/its-here-my-new-joy-boston-bag-rome-252089.html

there's a picture of the Rome bag next to a black/brown boston back and this post was from February of 2008. Didn't the Hawaii exclusive come out for Fall of 2008? I'm just asking because I remember another tPFer mentioning the trim was different but that could be on the small bostons not the mediums. :shrugs:

Hi everyone, I'm new here and well, was wondering about your thoughts on the purse that DWS is selling for $249, which is the Gucci limited edition, sorry forgot the name, but it has a painted picture of a city on one side and the bag is pretty big. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks!