Dropping wristlet + iPhone = Disaster

livestar23

O.G.
Oct 11, 2006
Just wanted to post this word of warning to those ladies who put their iPhone in their wristlet when going out... I used my ocelot wristlet on Saturday for a very special night out with DH. I didn't want to carry much, so I decided I could get away with only carrying the wristlet. I only put my id, iPhone and lipgloss in it. Walking out the door I dropped my wristlet on my hardwood floor. Not thinking anything of it, I went about my night. I asked DH to take out my phone to call the restaurant and he said "what happened!" I looked over and my screen was completely cracked like someone had stepped on it! I've dropped my phone so many times and my 3 year old DD has dropped it too and nothing has happened to it. I know many of us use our wristlets for going out, so I thought I'd send a warning out to everyone to be careful! It must have just been the way my lipgloss hit the phone screen when it hit the floor. I was shocked because I was sure that the wristlet would absorb the fall better than that.

this has happened to me too. I went to put my phone back in my bag and the screen shattered. I really don't think it has anything to do with the wristlet, iphones have been known to have this problem. I got mine fixed and then took out a plan to replace it if it happened again. Sorry about your phone!

Sorry that happened. There is a way u can just replace that 'screen' for a fee. I haven't done it, but, it can be done.
I use a 'speck' rubber case on mine. I swear by it. It lasts forever. It has also saved mine from falls onto the concrete garage floor. However, I can see how a fall with the lipstick next to it, could still get the glass. Just put it on the backside on the phone.

Ya I dropped mine many times and nothing happened and dropped it once on my friend's marble floor and there was a hairline crack on the screen. How much does it cost to replace it? And should I go to the Apple store or AT&T?

Ack! Sorry that happened.

Thanks for posting this though. I usually try to keep my phone in the little pocket, but after seeing this I'll make sure I always do!

^^You can actually replace the screen or LCD yourself very cheap, if you have the time, patience, and tools. You can get the parts from places like DealExtreme, Amazon. Of course it depends on whether it's just a broken screen, or worse as to how much effort and what it costs (does it still work otherwise...just the screen is cracked?). My friend just did this recently for a phone he picked up that was discarded from a friend, and after the screen was replaced, I unlocked it and set it up for prepaid T-Mobile service for my BIL. Works great! Very cheap alternative for him since he didn't want a contract commitment, but of course without a data plan, it functions more or less like a Touch unless he gets a data plan month to month. There are online videos that walk you through the process, but one of them I recall made it harder than it would have been with the proper suction tool to remove the broken screen to begin with.

Apparently if you take it to the store they will replace the screen for a lovely $199. I saw that and thought "oh my gosh, that's a purse!"

I did see some sites like miss_chiff posted. I saw one place where you can get a screen for $32. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to attempt it on my own, but I'm sure I could find someone who was.

Apparently if you take it to the store they will replace the screen for a lovely $199. I saw that and thought "oh my gosh, that's a purse!"

I did see some sites like miss_chiff posted. I saw one place where you can get a screen for $32. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to attempt it on my own, but I'm sure I could find someone who was.

thats how much the phone cost NEW. well, that's why i have the otterbox defender case. i think its the best ting made. i have dropped twice with no damage. for us girly girl it does come in colors although it may not be the most attractice- it gets the job done.

we also got the extra protection so if anything happened, we could get the phone at price paid and not have any new contract/ original phone price (500) issues. for the 199 i would get a new phone instead of just a screen

I second the otterbox! I have one and LOVE it. I dont have the huge bulky one but it still protects it wonderfully. Even when my two year old throws it across the room...