Dress length vs. formality

essential

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I just purchased a Vera Wang dress today (on sale.. I couldn't resist). It's a cute little black dress;however the length of the dress is a bit shorter than my usual "formal" dresses. The dress is about an inch or two above my knee. The style of the dress is like a babydoll dress. The SA described it as very "chloe". Anyway i couldn't find a picture of the dress online so I'm posting another dress so you may have some idea what I'm referring to.

fr.jpg
See the picture in terms of how long the dress is. My main concern is whether such dress length would be considered inapprorpriate or not elegant enough for a more formal event, such as a wedding reception, a ball, etc?

Advise plz!!

okthat lenght for me is a "fun" lenght for going out to a fab restaurant a bar or a club with friends. but i would not wear it to anything formal (the babydoll shape is also something i would not wear to something formal)
formal means for me kneelenght or floorlenght and nothing to funky or fashion forward

if the wedding was black or white tie, i wouldn't do it, but if it was just a regular wedding reception, i'd say it's definately appropriate and quite cute. i'd say no to wearing it to a ball, though.

I'd say this length and style are great for a night out on the town or with friends but definitely inappropriate for a wedding or any sort of formal function. For such occasions, I think the dress has to be knee-length or below.

Ditto -- gorgeous for a lot of weddings, especially afternoon ones, or cocktail parties...but if the event says black (or white!) tie, I might go w/ something else.

But it's an adorable dress!