Downtown help!

sarag505

bag obssessed...
Aug 6, 2008
Hi ladies & gentlemen,
I recently purchased a beautiful black patent Downtown from eBay...I received it about a week and a half ago and haven't had the chance to use it yet, so last night I went to look it over because I wanted to use it today. While looking it over though, I noticed that the stitching where the handle is connected to the bag is coming loose! It is noticeably looser than the rest of them sections which are tight. I understood I was purchasing a preowned bag, but the seller said the bag was carried a few times and was in flawless condition (it's not, even apart from the stitching). I messaged her immediately after noticing the stitching, and she is saying that the bag left her in perfect condition and she won't accept it for a return. I understand I should've looked it over sooner, but for that kind of wear to occur would take longer than 2 weeks! I'm nervous to even use the bag now because I don't want the stitching to get worse! She suggested I take it to a YSL store or a cobbler to have it fixed, but the nearest YSL store is 3 hours away. Besides, why should I have to pay to have it fixed when I was told I was receiving a bag in near perfect condition?! I have a feeling I am going to have to open a case with eBay...what do you ladies think? Here are 2 photos of the loose stitching on one handle section, and the tight stitching on another:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I have a used patent downtown I recently bought as well. I'll check my stitching to see if it is looser in areas. I will say that my downtown is tough! I got her on a Monday and on Tuesday she was fully loaded and traveling down to Southern California with me.

Depending on the price you paid, my inclination is to keep the bag. A good cobbler or alterations person can reinforce the loose stitching.

Hmmm...

I know that certain bags can have quality issues/defects, so you might have bought a 'lemon'. Are you certain that this bag is authentic?

If you are, then, you could contact YSL and find out if they can repair and for how much. The other oiption, as suggested, is that you take the bag to a cobbler who may be able to tighten the stitching. If you decide on one of these options, see if the seller is willing to refund some money to account (in full or in part) for the repairs.

You also have the option of returning the bag. I believe you have 45 days to return a purchase made on ebay. I hope you used paypal, though. You can argue that although pre-owned, the seller neglected to reveal/disclose a significant flaw, i.e. loosened strap, thus allowing the bag to fall into the "Significantly Not as Described” category. Particularly, if as you state, the seller said the bag was only "carried a few times and was in flawless condition".

My gut says you would win. But keep in mind, this could have just been an honest mistake on the sellers part, she might not have noticed the problem. Hmmm...:nogood:

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

Hi ladies & gentlemen,
I recently purchased a beautiful black patent Downtown from eBay...I received it about a week and a half ago and haven't had the chance to use it yet, so last night I went to look it over because I wanted to use it today. While looking it over though, I noticed that the stitching where the handle is connected to the bag is coming loose! It is noticeably looser than the rest of them sections which are tight. I understood I was purchasing a preowned bag, but the seller said the bag was carried a few times and was in flawless condition (it's not, even apart from the stitching). I messaged her immediately after noticing the stitching, and she is saying that the bag left her in perfect condition and she won't accept it for a return. I understand I should've looked it over sooner, but for that kind of wear to occur would take longer than 2 weeks! I'm nervous to even use the bag now because I don't want the stitching to get worse! She suggested I take it to a YSL store or a cobbler to have it fixed, but the nearest YSL store is 3 hours away. Besides, why should I have to pay to have it fixed when I was told I was receiving a bag in near perfect condition?! I have a feeling I am going to have to open a case with eBay...what do you ladies think? Here are 2 photos of the loose stitching on one handle section, and the tight stitching on another:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Thanks for your input grietje and Aluxe! I did have the bag authenticated on here, so that's not an issue...I just think the bag was used more than she stated. along with the stitching on the handle being loose, the top part of the backside of the bag is sort of sagging..I don't know if that makes any sense, lol. But that sort of wear would not occur with being worn "a handful" of times. My biggest concern is that the stitching will become looser over time and I certainly don't want the handle to come apart from the bag! :wtf: I suggested to the seller that she overlooked the stitching, but she insists that the bag was in "perfect" condition when she shipped it. I haven't even had a chance to use the bag so it's in the same condition as it was when I received it, but of course there is no way to prove that unfortunately. I'm going to open a case with eBay and cross my fingers!

I'm home now and just checked both my patent downtowns (ivory and black) and both are recently purchased from the *bay and were used. The stitching on my ivory is very tight (like your second photo). The very first stitch on all four handle connections on my black one is loose--loose meanig that if I pull it back a bit I can the first stitch (but definitely not as loose as your first photo). But after the first stitch is gets tight again.

As for sagging, both of mine sag. I have them stuffed when not in use but I think it's the design because they center top back still wants to sag even when stuffed.

As for contacting the seller and opening a case... I sell bags I no longer use on the *Bay and last year I had a really negative experience. It was a case of buyer's remorse (I am sure of it) because the seller found all these issues with the bag. She too filed a claim with eBay and eBay actually found in my favor (they saw my photos and how the stains and marks weren't there and her messages saying her boyfriend would kill her if he knew she bought another bag). Then she did the credit card dispute thing with Paypal. I ended up losing even though Paypal and eBay both knew what she was up to. I write this because I'm now very sensitive to buyers requesting refunds and the whole "not as described thing." I'm not doubting you at all, but I would ask that you consider options with the seller such as a) a partial refund which could equal the cost of getting the straps repaired; b) sending it back and asking the seller to get it repaired; or c) a partial refund to match what you think the bag is actually worth given its conition. I think it will show a willingness to work it out on your part and will probably make the seller feel mor comfortable that it's more than just a change of heart.

I wish the buyer of my bag had considered options like this or better yet--been honest and just said 'I bought too much; I'm in a heap of trouble; would you mind if I returned it?" Things might have turned out very differently, and I want your experience to go well also.

I agree that you might solve this with the seller, this is not normal for the sturdiest of all YSL bags, the pride of totes...I find as a buyer that in most cases bags described as almost new were not really used much, but every now and then I get the case like yours and all of them were solved good for me. As a seller I write that I do not accept returns but if someone is so unhappy even with remorse, I do accept. I hate being stuck with the stuff I do not want, and I do not do that to others (because I am not a professional seller, but just trying to find a good home for a dear bag).

I believe that PayPal and eBay are more generous towards buyers and they would settle your claim for certan. This condition is not normal, and the seller should admit it. If you did not have any chance to make it, it came to you like that.

I found yesterday that my Miu Miu I bought like that had a terrible stain in some hardly visible place, and it was not reported. I estimated that I could clean it with Balenciaga cleaner, and I risked and did well. Otherwise, if I figured like for my ex Fendi it was too worn for "worn once" description, I would again make detailed photos and get refunded.

There are different people on both sides, so you can expect anything really

I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience, grietje...I too have had unpleasant experiences buying/selling online, and it is definitely making me more apprehensive about buying through eBay or other resellers..it's hard to resist since I don't live anywhere near a retail store! Do you think the sagging would occur after being carried a handful of times as the seller stated? It seems to me that that would happen after being carried on a regular basis over time...:confused1:

That's so terrible to hear about your Miu Miu, vesna...I hate buying something online and having it arrive and being totally disappointed. I am definitely not experiencing buyer's remorse with the bag--it's beautiful! The loose stitching is just an issue for me because I have no idea if the handle would eventually come loose from the bag or not. I don't think the seller will admit that the bag has been worn more than originally stated, but I have several designer bags and have not experienced loose stitching like that even with bags I wear frequently. I opened a case with eBay and am still awaiting their verdict, so wish me luck!

I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience, grietje...I too have had unpleasant experiences buying/selling online, and it is definitely making me more apprehensive about buying through eBay or other resellers..it's hard to resist since I don't live anywhere near a retail store! Do you think the sagging would occur after being carried a handful of times as the seller stated? It seems to me that that would happen after being carried on a regular basis over time...:confused1:

That's so terrible to hear about your Miu Miu, vesna...I hate buying something online and having it arrive and being totally disappointed. I am definitely not experiencing buyer's remorse with the bag--it's beautiful! The loose stitching is just an issue for me because I have no idea if the handle would eventually come loose from the bag or not. I don't think the seller will admit that the bag has been worn more than originally stated, but I have several designer bags and have not experienced loose stitching like that even with bags I wear frequently. I opened a case with eBay and am still awaiting their verdict, so wish me luck!

I wish you all the luck, and I am sure it will be fine :smile: