Dooney rehab thread

It is near impossible to get ink stains out of real leather. especially thick leather like D&B. My advice would be to leave it alone, or if you're having a hard time living with it, possibly use a leather conditioner to darken the leather up a bit. That might make it less noticeable. I would research the type of leather and leather cleaners/lotions that are recommended for that type first though! Good Luck!

It is near impossible to get ink stains out of real leather. especially thick leather like D&B. My advice would be to leave it alone, or if you're having a hard time living with it, possibly use a leather conditioner to darken the leather up a bit. That might make it less noticeable. I would research the type of leather and leather cleaners/lotions that are recommended for that type first though! Good Luck!

Yeah, it was too risky. Its in a noticeable spot so it kind of bothers me, but I dont think it's very obvious. It cleaned up really well with leather CPR and finished with cow tallow. Pleased with the result. The cow tallow really fills in the nicks/scratches in the leather for an even appearance, especially on the british tan leather. I don't have before pics but these are the afters. Thanks for the feedback.

I'd wait to get a few more responses, but possibly 70% alcohol on a q-tip could remove it, but realize the pen can spread. You could also dunk and wash the bag to see if it would lift it out, or possibly fade it.

I did the dunk and wash this morning but I can still see the pen marks. Sigh. I will never purchase off eBay again. The worst thing is the spots are on both sides and on the flap. So bummed. Maybe after it dries it will be less visible or over time with the darkening of the leather, they will fade.

Here's a crazy question. I often see the Bone colored satchels up for sale secondhand, but of course i lust after the hard to find Mushroom color.

How hard do you think it would be to dye a Bone colored Florentine satchel to achieve a light taupe shade? Thanks!

IMG_5305.jpg I have this tote bag , dont know exactly whats the model., its patent leather, anyone here can advise me how to clean this kind of patent? Its looks dirty, never used it anymore. Im tryin to clean with every cleaners i have, but zero result.. any helps?

View attachment 3734606 I have this tote bag , dont know exactly whats the model., its patent leather, anyone here can advise me how to clean this kind of patent? Its looks dirty, never used it anymore. Im tryin to clean with every cleaners i have, but zero result.. any helps?

I don't know of anyone who has had luck cleaning patent leather. Once a stain gets under the coating, it seems impossible to remove. :sad:

Here is a small rehab on a more recent Dooney item. It is a vinyl tote. Cute little bag to use as a lunch bag or a purse if a clear bag is necessary. The current model has leather corners to help keep it's shape, but this one was before that detail was added. All I did was fill the bag up with hot water, and let the vinyl get flexible. Then folded it back to shape and clip it while it cooled.
IMG_20170728_190605.jpg IMG_20170728_190656.jpg IMG_20170728_190833.jpg IMG_20170728_190917.jpg

Here is a small rehab on a more recent Dooney item. It is a vinyl tote. Cute little bag to use as a lunch bag or a purse if a clear bag is necessary. The current model has leather corners to help keep it's shape, but this one was before that detail was added. All I did was fill the bag up with hot water, and let the vinyl get flexible. Then folded it back to shape and clip it while it cooled.
View attachment 3778773 View attachment 3778774 View attachment 3778775 View attachment 3778776

Great thinking on the hot water! It looks great :heart:

I was reading through this thread to see if I could find any information about cleaning up a domed buckle satchel I bought on ebay. I knew it was going to need some cleaning and was looking forward to seeing what could be overcome! It does have a liquid stain of some sort so that was an added bonus. Anyway I saw Dgphoto's post on page 2 of this thread about rehabbing her two florentine bags and she soaked them in water. I had no idea that was an option! Might that be a good idea for water stained bags? I have apple cleaner/conditioner and cadillac on the way because I wasn't sure which to use.. lol