Dooney rehab thread

Hi all! I am new to this forum...I have 3 new dooneys and just got my first vintage AWL satchel- attached picture. I have read mixed reviews from reputable places regarding cleaning/conditioning the vintage AWL. If you zoom in on the pic you can see some darkening on the underside of the handles and some lighter worn spots along the strap and british tan leather edges. So I have two questions for experienced dooney owners....1. how do I clean this without making it worse (I don't want to destroy the patina completely or destroy the protective coating on the leather) 2. Based on what you can see in the picture (there are no stains inside or out other than the wear of age) what would you buy this for? I bought from etsy for $55. Did I get a good deal or pay too much? Thanks so much for your feedback!

Attachments

• vintage dooney pic 1.jpg
    vintage dooney pic 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 660
Has anyone actually sent their vintage bags in to Dooney and Bourke to be assessed and repaired? I called to ask them on how to handle the cleaning and she told me she can't advise on what product to use or methods and that they advise all vintage dooney owners who have questions about this to send the bag in first. Thoughts on this?

Hi all! I am new to this forum...I have 3 new dooneys and just got my first vintage AWL satchel- attached picture. I have read mixed reviews from reputable places regarding cleaning/conditioning the vintage AWL. If you zoom in on the pic you can see some darkening on the underside of the handles and some lighter worn spots along the strap and british tan leather edges. So I have two questions for experienced dooney owners....1. how do I clean this without making it worse (I don't want to destroy the patina completely or destroy the protective coating on the leather) 2. Based on what you can see in the picture (there are no stains inside or out other than the wear of age) what would you buy this for? I bought from etsy for $55. Did I get a good deal or pay too much? Thanks so much for your feedback!

Has anyone actually sent their vintage bags in to Dooney and Bourke to be assessed and repaired? I called to ask them on how to handle the cleaning and she told me she can't advise on what product to use or methods and that they advise all vintage dooney owners who have questions about this to send the bag in first. Thoughts on this?

I responded to your first question over on the Authenticate this Dooney & Bourke thread.
Authenticate This DOONEY & BOURKE
As for sending the bag in for assessment and/or repair, I've never done it, but I imagine the cost of the service, plus postage both ways, would be more than you paid for the bag.

Thanks for your response! Good advise- I have never 'rehabed' a bag before...I'll get myself some leather CPR for the british tan edges. As far as Dooney and Bourke's response to my inquiry- I thought it was strange (but I guess they want the business!). I'm sure it'll cost more than its worth to me to send it in. Thanks again.

Reactions: Catbird9
So nice to see a Dooney rehab thread, and nice to see some of the same posters from the Coach rehab thread! It seems like the standard for "beat up" on this thread is much lower than on the Coach rehab thread. We have revived some pretty destroyed girls over there. I have three vintage-ish All Weather Leathers, and the problems of rehabbing them seem different than Coach problems. For one, they were built to be indestructible, so they don't take the kind of damages of Coaches; they only seem to become squashed, faded and drab. Here is a recent rehab of a saddle bag. The differences are subtle. The first picture was after the soak. The second shows the touching up I did of the body and piping with Edgekote. I also daubed tan Edgekote on another bag's tan handles to cover up discoloration. I used a cotton ball. It worked fine. Also, anyone know a way to date these styles? I never owned Dooneys back in the day, so I have no sense of how old they are, and there doesn't seem to be any identifying marks on which to rely.
IMG_0856_zpscshphw4k.jpg
IMG_0857_zpsztrrllna.jpg

So nice to see a Dooney rehab thread, and nice to see some of the same posters from the Coach rehab thread! It seems like the standard for "beat up" on this thread is much lower than on the Coach rehab thread. We have revived some pretty destroyed girls over there. I have three vintage-ish All Weather Leathers, and the problems of rehabbing them seem different than Coach problems. For one, they were built to be indestructible, so they don't take the kind of damages of Coaches; they only seem to become squashed, faded and drab. Here is a recent rehab of a saddle bag. The differences are subtle. The first picture was after the soak. The second shows the touching up I did of the body and piping with Edgekote. I also daubed tan Edgekote on another bag's tan handles to cover up discoloration. I used a cotton ball. It worked fine. Also, anyone know a way to date these styles? I never owned Dooneys back in the day, so I have no sense of how old they are, and there doesn't seem to be any identifying marks on which to rely.
IMG_0856_zpscshphw4k.jpg
IMG_0857_zpsztrrllna.jpg
You did a great job. Your bag looks great now. Sorry I can't help with the dating, but we have some other
posters who are very knowledgeable. Hopefully they will see your post and chime in.

IMG_0856_zpscshphw4k.jpg
IMG_0857_zpsztrrllna.jpg

Beautiful job! She cleaned up nicely.

For dating, I use Horsekeeping's guide a lot:
http://www.horsekeeping.com/Dooney/Dooney-Bourke-char.htm

This eBay Guide is also excellent:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Dooney-Bour...WL-Tack-Bags-PHOTOS-/10000000004594573/g.html

The Cavalry Collection was introduced in this 1986 ad. Below that is a 1994 ad which shows a Cavalry Body Bag, so that gives a general idea of the time period for this collection.

Attachments

• 1986 dooney ad.JPG
    1986 dooney ad.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 634
  • 1994 ad iconic styles.JPG
    1994 ad iconic styles.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 620
IMG_0856_zpscshphw4k.jpg
IMG_0857_zpsztrrllna.jpg
I just recently bought an AWL vintage dooney satchel and wondered the age as well. I found these links helpful:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Dooney-Bour...WL-Tack-Bags-PHOTOS-/10000000004594573/g.html and http://www.horsekeeping.com/Dooney/Dooney-Bourke-char.htm

I want to share some of my experience with rehabing my vintage dooney that others may find interesting and/or helpful. I just recently took advise from this forum using leather CPR on the british tan. It did help to clean up and brighten (without changing the color). It did not, however, come close to helping the strap which was partially damaged (from water and sun I believe). For the stiff, hardened and deformed part of the strap, after using the CPR to clean- I applied tallow and beeswax and used a hair drier to help absorption while applying it. The slight shrinkage of the strap was not helped but the stiffness and misshapen part was fixed with the application of the tallow and beeswax. It's the most natural product that can be used for moisturizing without staining or coloring. I did not apply anything to the black AWL portion of the bag, because I didn't want to mess with the protective coating- I just wiped with a clean damp cloth. Before and afters with some of these vintage dooneys that are in good shape, are hard to see the subtle improvements in pictures.

Reactions: MPA28 and Catbird9
Beautiful job! She cleaned up nicely.

For dating, I use Horsekeeping's guide a lot:
http://www.horsekeeping.com/Dooney/Dooney-Bourke-char.htm

This eBay Guide is also excellent:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Dooney-Bour...WL-Tack-Bags-PHOTOS-/10000000004594573/g.html

The Cavalry Collection was introduced in this 1986 ad. Below that is a 1994 ad which shows a Cavalry Body Bag, so that gives a general idea of the time period for this collection.
Thank you, that is very helpful.

This thread makes me so happy to read. First, I was able to identify the small AWL Trooper that was donated for our french bulldog rescue purse auction. I had seen the bag before, but was never able to find the official name. Second, I am picking up some leather CPS today! I have a Smith bag in bordeaux (I believe that's the color) that was also donated and I think it just needs a good conditioning to really make her sparkle. That is a beautiful bag. There are probably several bags listed that will have this occur over the weekend. Third, there still is the filthy nasty fabric Dooney that I thought needed an exorcism. It's in the garage right next to the box of counterfeit purses that we cannot use. After seeing this, I am going to go home immediately after work and soak it and scrub it. I'll take some before photos and it might just be ready in time to be in the auction! I have been working on rehabbing bags for several weeks, and this forum has been very helpful. The majority of the bags donated are in new or gently used condition, because that's what the request went out for. I knew some would come into a bit rougher, but a couple have tested me. The AWL Trooper is in great shape, but I have hope for the other DB bag. I'll post pictures and if I can't get her done in time for this auction, I can hold on to her for next years auction. I'm solely handling over 140 bags at this point, but I will do my best to get her ready.

Attachments

• 18527757_1509049769129856_3638860262611557069_n.jpg
    18527757_1509049769129856_3638860262611557069_n.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 598
  • 18664555_1512336782134488_7559121493225143849_n.jpg
    18664555_1512336782134488_7559121493225143849_n.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 598
Reactions: christinemliu
This thread makes me so happy to read. First, I was able to identify the small AWL Trooper that was donated for our french bulldog rescue purse auction. I had seen the bag before, but was never able to find the official name. Second, I am picking up some leather CPS today! I have a Smith bag in bordeaux (I believe that's the color) that was also donated and I think it just needs a good conditioning to really make her sparkle. That is a beautiful bag. There are probably several bags listed that will have this occur over the weekend. Third, there still is the filthy nasty fabric Dooney that I thought needed an exorcism. It's in the garage right next to the box of counterfeit purses that we cannot use. After seeing this, I am going to go home immediately after work and soak it and scrub it. I'll take some before photos and it might just be ready in time to be in the auction! I have been working on rehabbing bags for several weeks, and this forum has been very helpful. The majority of the bags donated are in new or gently used condition, because that's what the request went out for. I knew some would come into a bit rougher, but a couple have tested me. The AWL Trooper is in great shape, but I have hope for the other DB bag. I'll post pictures and if I can't get her done in time for this auction, I can hold on to her for next years auction. I'm solely handling over 140 bags at this point, but I will do my best to get her ready.

You sound like quite a "trooper" yourself...140 bags!!! My hat's off to you.

The two Doonies in your photos are beautiful, and should fetch good prices in the auction. Best wishes for a successful fundraiser for your group!

Reactions: monleal
I received another "well loved" purse for the auction. She will be one of my weekend projects. There appears to be no structure damage to the bag, she just looks a little rough. Can anyone advise me how to get the ink marks out of the interior? I can of course use hair spray, but I wasn't sure if there was a better product I could be using. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_4746.JPG
    IMG_4746.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 630
I received another "well loved" purse for the auction. She will be one of my weekend projects. There appears to be no structure damage to the bag, she just looks a little rough. Can anyone advise me how to get the ink marks out of the interior? I can of course use hair spray, but I wasn't sure if there was a better product I could be using. Thanks everyone!

That's really too bad, but unfortunately, the ink probably won't come out. It may dissolve, but also spread, if you use hairspray. You can also use 70% alcohol, but again, that much ink is pretty much a lost cause.

I would clean it well, apply extra conditioner to the British Tan trim and strap, and forget the ink marks. I'd remove that duck fob's leather hanger, restore it to flat shape (wash, dry pressed under a heavy book) and attach it properly. Someone will buy it who doesn't care about the ink. (The strap and fob are probably worth almost as much as the whole bag. I see them all the time on eBay.)